HomeKit marketing enhanced with interactive demo installation at 46 Apple retail stores

Posted:
in iPhone
In a number of its retail locations, Apple has unveiled an interactive display with video walls demonstrating to the user what happens in a simulated living space when assorted HomeKit peripherals are activated.

The display has an iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch set up, allowing users to toggle various single devices or chained actions. Peripherals in the video windows include the Phillips Hue light bulb, and the Hunter ceiling fan, according to a report published on Tuesday by TechCrunch.

Shoppers at the World Trade Center and Williamsburg stores in New York, and the Apple Union Square store in San Francisco can check out the new display. In the U.S., there are 28 other locations, and 15 internationally.

Stores without "The Avenue" window displays will get a a static HomeKit display area. The demonstration station will run until at least December in stores it has been installed.

Introduced in 2014, HomeKit allows users to connect to a variety of compatible so-called "internet of things" devices through the iOS Home app in conjunction with each other, as opposed to a series of disconnected interfaces. The addition of Siri control to HomeKit allows for complicated sequences of events to be induced from an iOS device or a Mac running Sierra.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    We're being told there are 46 locations and yet there is no list of these 46 locations? I hope that's rectified, soon.
    chiarobin huber
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Soli said:
    We're being told there are 46 locations and yet there is no list of these 46 locations? I hope that's rectified, soon.
    You've got what we've got.
    chia
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Perhaps at long last Apple is getting to grips with HomeKit. My Tado heating control upgrade to HomeKit was delayed for months and months. Recently it was approved and released. Perhaps it is a similar situation with other hardware. Apple can now start to show various different HomeKit products as a joined up home system.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    You've got what we've got.
    I checked around and no one seems to have the list.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I've been slowly adding Hue lights to my modest HomeKit automation.

I'm looking forward to HomePod reviews and may add one or two. I've got an Echo Dot that hasn't lived up to expectations, at all. While the Dot has been extremely frustrating, when it works it's ease using voice control is undeniable superior to Siri, in my experience. That's a slightly unfair comparison as v-c implementation is different between the two platforms. I hope HomePod fixes that.

And I really dislike saying 'Hey, Siri...". No verbal emphasis, just hate saying 'Hey'. LOL

• Reply 6 of 7
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I can tell the group that the Brea Mall store does not have it. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gregglesMIgregglesMI Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    If your Apple Store has a traditional "Genius Bar" then it is NOT an "Avenues" store design, and will not have the interactive display. Avenues stores are much wood and glass based, where non-avenues stores will feature a Genius Bar and likely a more brushed metal decor.