New Powermacs Aug 13th? (thinksecret)

124

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 90
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Bump....



    Sorry.. i just got a kick out of reading everyone's pre-MacWorld thoughts about no tower announcement....



    MSKR
  • Reply 62 of 90
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

    <strong>ThinkSecret is full of $h!t.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Still think so??
  • Reply 63 of 90
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

    <strong>



    Still think so??</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Well Bodhi, at least YOU got everything right. There are posts today! I dropped by the SoHo apple store yesterday morning and had a ball. Steve J was there, quietly sitting in conversation. How different from Bill G who would have had a phalanx of MIB around him. Wierdest thing was that nobody went up to him, me included, to ask when the new PowerMacs were coming....
  • Reply 64 of 90
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    "IMG: What kind of work has Apple been doing on OpenGL?



    CB: Apple is easily the most active computer vendor working on OpenGL. They are doing more of the heavy lifting to advance OpenGL than anyone else. They spent all year working with NVIDIA and ATI to define a unified shader extension. They basically put a stake in the ground and got both companies to work towards it. They chaired the OpenGL working group on the vertex shaders, and they've been very influential. So they're completely engaged in that."



    This is software. But it's intriguing that Apple have been working so closely with Ati and Nvidia on this.



    Gives credence to a 'power'Mac/Apple/Nvidia announcement soon...



    It gives a clue to their future plans for hardware. ie they are the ones doing the 'heavy lifting' on Open Gl now. Obviously they don't want M$ cornering the market on the 3D api.



    It seems to indicate that Apple want to dominate Open GL or at least have a strong influence in a non M$ api.



    That would fall in line with recent high end/workstation purchases. And while they haven't bought Maya or Xsi yet...it shows they are serious about 3D. And keeping Mac/Apple options open.



    If they're taken Open GL that serious...why not buy Sgi tech' eg Maya/Open GL and be done with it.



    Do we know what implementation of Gl that Jaguar will use?



    Now. All we need is for the next gen' processor to be revealed.



    'G5' anyone?



    Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 65 of 90
    fat freddyfat freddy Posts: 150member
    [quote]Originally posted by Masker:

    <strong>Adios G3 iMacs; G4 towers August 13



    <a href="http://www.thinksecret.com"; target="_blank">Think Secret</a>





    I guess that inventory has to be moved after all. Seems like they would just have a fire sale instead of delaying a MWNY -worthy announcement of PowerMacs ready in one month.



    MSKR</strong><hr></blockquote>



    If its true, whats about the 5th Generation of PPC?

    At MWSF, 18 Weeks later?

    I don´t think.

    I hope for new Power Macs (G5) in September at Seybold.

    DDR Powerbooks at MW Paris

    DDR iMacs at MWSF

    DDR G4 iBooks at MWT
  • Reply 66 of 90
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!



    People, there is NO MacWorld Paris!!!



    It is called Apple Expo Paris...



    And while I am here...



    HEY STEVE!!



    When are we gonna get a PowerMac that is ready to run all this software you have been scarfing up as of late...?!?



    AND PLEASE! PLEASE GO OUT AND PURCHASE MAYA FROM ALIAS|WAVEFRONT!!!



    All I want is a quad G5 with about 8GB of DDR RAM (more would be nice...), a killer OpenGL card supporting dual HD ACDs, and the new Apple Production Studio-In-A-Box bundle... (Maya Unlimited, RenderMan, Final Cut Pro, Shake/RayZ, DVD Studio Pro, Logic)



    Is that really asking to much...?!?
  • Reply 67 of 90
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Too late. MS already bought most of what SGI owned of OpenGL.
  • Reply 68 of 90
    shannylashannyla Posts: 58member
    [quote] AND PLEASE! PLEASE GO OUT AND PURCHASE MAYA FROM ALIAS|WAVEFRONT!!! <hr></blockquote>



    ...because we'd really like you to destroy the reputation and utility of the most important piece of software in 3d CGI production right now, like you've done with Shake and Rayz, by making us run it on your truely pathetic hardware...



    And if you're really happy with your new iMac and you don't really know what I'm talking about, don't bother flaming me for trolling as this is a legitimate grievance with Apple over their recent purchases, plus you'll look like a tit to anyone who does know what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 69 of 90
    shannylashannyla Posts: 58member
    [quote] All I want is a quad G5 with about 8GB of DDR RAM (more would be nice...), a killer OpenGL card supporting dual HD ACDs, and the new Apple Production Studio-In-A-Box bundle... (Maya Unlimited, RenderMan, Final Cut Pro, Shake/RayZ, DVD Studio Pro, Logic) <hr></blockquote>



    Were this in any way likely or even possible, I'd be standing beside you cheering. No, scratch that, I'd already be filling out the comedy oversize check with many zeros at the end of it. I'm not...
  • Reply 70 of 90
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cubit:

    <strong> I dropped by the SoHo apple store yesterday morning and had a ball. Steve J was there, quietly sitting in conversation. How different from Bill G who would have had a phalanx of MIB around him. Wierdest thing was that nobody went up to him, me included, to ask when the new PowerMacs were coming....</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Good God man, how could you not ask? You should be thrown off this board for that oversight!



    I guess there is something to that RDF business. Better yet, Jobs probably practices some form of mind control. The entire time he was in the store he was sending out psychic messages,"Don't ask me about new PowerMacs or the G5."
  • Reply 71 of 90
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    [quote]Originally posted by shannyla:

    <strong>



    And if you're really happy with your new iMac and you don't really know what I'm talking about, don't bother flaming me for trolling as this is a legitimate grievance with Apple over their recent purchases, plus you'll look like a tit to anyone who does know what I'm talking about</strong><hr></blockquote>



    huhuh huhuh... you said tit... huhuh huhuh
  • Reply 72 of 90
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    MacRonin said:



    [quote]AND PLEASE! PLEASE GO OUT AND PURCHASE MAYA FROM ALIAS|WAVEFRONT!!!<hr></blockquote>



    And then shannyla said:



    [quote]...because we'd really like you to destroy the reputation and utility of the most important piece of software in 3d CGI production right now, like you've done with Shake and Rayz, by making us run it on your truely pathetic hardware...



    And if you're really happy with your new iMac and you don't really know what I'm talking about, don't bother flaming me for trolling as this is a legitimate grievance with Apple over their recent purchases, plus you'll look like a tit to anyone who does know what I'm talking about.<hr></blockquote>



    Wow. Angry about something? Remember, it is all just software, it will come and it will go... Shake and RayZ have not even surfaced yet, so how can anyone (except for the folks doing the coding, and Steve Jobs...) know what will come of these programs after Apple gets done putting their brand on them...!?!



    I know that Apple would have their hands full if they purchased Maya, what with trying to satisfy the needs of four different platforms, but I think it could be done... Think of it this way, Apple purchases the Maya portion of A|w (and, if you haven't noticed, A|w makes a very clear distinction between the two market segments that Maya & Studio serve...), leaving A|w with the portion of their software properties that actually makes them money on a consistant basis... Like they say themselves, Studio is used by EVERY car manufacturer in the WORLD... The Maya programmers/engineers come along with Apple... (Duncan, Bill and the rest of the gang)



    Apple spins off the software portion of their DCC properties, and this seperate arm of the Apple corporate giant fulfills the needs of ALL platform users...



    Or, Apple bits the bullet, and announces the timeline for end-of-life of the 'other' platforms Maya is on... And Steve gives a 'one more thing', which is RenderMan being licensed to Apple for use as Mayas new default renderer...!



    Like MANY Mac users have said before (not here alot, mainly over on the Highend boards & the Alias listserve...), Apple is not going into this blind, and they KNOW that the current hardware offerings are not up to snuff for a professional level day to day production workflow... I REALLY doubt that Apple would seriously offer Shake running on current hardware as a viable solution to the market it is targeting with such purchases...



    As for the iMac comment (and your accompanying attempt to classify me as some 'regular' AppleInsider slack-jawed bottom-feeding teenager...), I wouldn't mind a 17" model in the least... Be great for keeping the listserves open on, and providing music throughout the day... Beats slowing up my main workstation to fulfill such mundane tasks...



    MacRonin said:



    [quote]All I want is a quad G5 with about 8GB of DDR RAM (more would be nice...), a killer OpenGL card supporting dual HD ACDs, and the new Apple Production Studio-In-A-Box bundle... (Maya Unlimited, RenderMan, Final Cut Pro, Shake/RayZ, DVD Studio Pro, Logic)<hr></blockquote>



    And then shannyla said:



    [quote]Were this in any way likely or even possible, I'd be standing beside you cheering. No, scratch that, I'd already be filling out the comedy oversize check with many zeros at the end of it. I'm not...<hr></blockquote>



    Let's put it into perspective...



    The cost of a 'decent' Silicon Graphics workstation (not talking Indy or O2 here folks...), with a full cut of Alias|wavefront PowerAnimator (including Composer Lite), when Steve Jobs came back to Apple, was around US$75,000.00; that was without any real video I/O on the machine...



    Now, fast forward the better part of a decade and what do we have available to us? Dual 1GHZ G4 workstations with graphics better than ever (but still with room for improvement...), with a bevy of animating, compositing and finishing tools available... Throw in HD I/O, and a nice RAID to feed that I/O, and a couple of huge 23" HD Cinema Displays...



    You would STILL come in under what the basic 3D setup got you 'back in the day'...



    Of course back then I usually preferred to work on the Onyx, which was a waste of CPU cycles for one guy working on a medium-sized scene... But it sure did come in handy for the render portion of the show...



    I, for one, would not mind paying 40 grand for a sweet setup like I have envisioned above... It would be a good investment, easy to admin (ever work on an Onyx? not exactly fun...), and would provide usefull service for years to come...



    So next time you decide to dump on someone else, because their ideas of what would make a great software/hardware/OS combo don't match with your own; remember, YOU could be the one who ends up looking like the 'tit...!



    Cheers!
  • Reply 73 of 90
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,410member
    [quote]Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon:

    <strong>"IMG: What kind of work has Apple been doing on OpenGL?



    CB: Apple is easily the most active computer vendor working on OpenGL. They are doing more of the heavy lifting to advance OpenGL than anyone else. They spent all year working with NVIDIA and ATI to define a unified shader extension. They basically put a stake in the ground and got both companies to work towards it. They chaired the OpenGL working group on the vertex shaders, and they've been very influential. So they're completely engaged in that."



    This is software. But it's intriguing that Apple have been working so closely with Ati and Nvidia on this.



    Gives credence to a 'power'Mac/Apple/Nvidia announcement soon...



    It gives a clue to their future plans for hardware. ie they are the ones doing the 'heavy lifting' on Open Gl now. Obviously they don't want M$ cornering the market on the 3D api.



    It seems to indicate that Apple want to dominate Open GL or at least have a strong influence in a non M$ api.



    That would fall in line with recent high end/workstation purchases. And while they haven't bought Maya or Xsi yet...it shows they are serious about 3D. And keeping Mac/Apple options open.



    If they're taken Open GL that serious...why not buy Sgi tech' eg Maya/Open GL and be done with it.



    Do we know what implementation of Gl that Jaguar will use?



    Now. All we need is for the next gen' processor to be revealed.



    'G5' anyone?



    Lemon Bon Bon</strong><hr></blockquote>





    Apple needs OpenGL to be able to compete with DirectX, and v1.3 is missing many of the capabilities in DX8 -- vertex/pixel shaders, in particular. DX9 is almost upon us and yet there is still no way to use shaders on the Mac. Apple has been working to correct that, and 3DLabs has been working on an OpenGL 2.0 proposal that would be on DX9's level, at least.



    Hopefully we see the fruits of Apple's labour in Jaguar, but the ARB notes from June's meeting don't fill me with a lot of hope -- there are still a lot of unresolved issues, so I don't know if they'll be able to include an implementation in that time frame. More's the pity.
  • Reply 74 of 90
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacRonin:

    <strong>ARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!



    People, there is NO MacWorld Paris!!!



    It is called Apple Expo Paris...



    And while I am here...



    HEY STEVE!!



    When are we gonna get a PowerMac that is ready to run all this software you have been scarfing up as of late...?!?



    AND PLEASE! PLEASE GO OUT AND PURCHASE MAYA FROM ALIAS|WAVEFRONT!!!



    All I want is a quad G5 with about 8GB of DDR RAM (more would be nice...), a killer OpenGL card supporting dual HD ACDs, and the new Apple Production Studio-In-A-Box bundle... (Maya Unlimited, RenderMan, Final Cut Pro, Shake/RayZ, DVD Studio Pro, Logic)



    Is that really asking to much...?!?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    ...and keep the price below $1000.





    How much do you think this thing would cost?
  • Reply 75 of 90
    shannylashannyla Posts: 58member
    [quote] As for the iMac comment (and your accompanying attempt to classify me as some 'regular' AppleInsider slack-jawed bottom-feeding teenager...), I wouldn't mind a 17" model in the least... Be great for keeping the listserves open on, and providing music throughout the day... Beats slowing up my main workstation to fulfill such mundane tasks... <hr></blockquote>



    The problem with posting to boards is emphasis. The iMac comment wasn't directed at you personally, just whenever I post on this subject there is invariably the reply from someone, who is no doubt very happy with their iMac and rightly so, accusing me of being a troll from a position of ignorance.



    My personal problem with Apple buying the software they are buying, which is highly specialized software with a small and very knowledgable customer base, is that they are already end-of-lining support for other platforms. The post-production facility I manage can no longer use the 30 licenses of Shake that we had on yearly rolling licenses, as the only platform I can now renew on is Linux. And I'm not switching to Linux any time soon... For those who are unaware of this sector, many facilities rent software licenses on a per-project basis, for cashflow and facility management reasons.



    I don't disagree with your point about the cost of computing power coming down, and in many ways its a very good thing. However, Apple coming into the post-production industry and throwing their flabby bulk around a very small industry like the 350 lb gorilla from Redmond is not the way to make friends and influence people.



    [quote] I know that Apple would have their hands full if they purchased Maya, what with trying to satisfy the needs of four different platforms, but I think it could be done... <hr></blockquote>



    I think if Apple purchased the Maya side of AW (which by the way and contrary to popular opinion, SGI are doing quite well at the moment and have no real need to sell right now, unlike last year) then SoftImage would be rubbing their hands with glee at the extra sales that would pour their way. Apple would almost certainly immeediately discontinue support for Windows and probably Irix. Linux, I suspect, would survive due to Pixar's use of said Os.



    [quote] (ever work on an Onyx? not exactly fun...), <hr></blockquote>



    Work on and fix them every day (it's what our discreet systems run on, and on octanes), and that depends on your idea of fun. Personally I quite enjoy the computer equivalent of popular mechanics, especially when you open that front panel and see what awaits...
  • Reply 76 of 90
    overtoastyovertoasty Posts: 439member
    [quote]Originally posted by Programmer:

    [QB]





    Apple needs OpenGL to be able to compete with DirectX, and v1.3 is missing many of the capabilities in DX8 -- vertex/pixel shaders, in particular. DX9 is almost upon us and yet there is still no way to use shaders on the Mac. Apple has been working to correct that, and 3DLabs has been working on an OpenGL 2.0 proposal that would be on DX9's level, at least.



    [QB]<hr></blockquote>





    ... somebody let me in on what's going on here, didn't Microsoft buy up some key patents on OpenGL? Making it's ability to compete openly with DirectX a matter of borrowed time anyway?
  • Reply 77 of 90
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Sorry if I misunderstood the focus of your 'attack'...



    I think Apple can do some great things for our market (DCC,entertainment), and I find the idea of going to a single vendor for support on my workstation, my OS and my applications to be a VERY desirable thing indeed...



    As for working on Onyxes (Onyxii?), I preferred to WORK on them, not IN them... I find the admin thing cool sometime, but I would rather just use the apps when possible, not massage the machine...



    Which is why I find OS X so cool, because you can set it up, and then almost forget it... And when you DO need to 'go under the hood', it is easy enough, AND it is Unix (okay, so my main Unix experience is from an Irix perspective...) so that is familiar ground...



    But others milage may vary...
  • Reply 78 of 90
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,410member
    [quote]Originally posted by OverToasty:

    <strong>... somebody let me in on what's going on here, didn't Microsoft buy up some key patents on OpenGL? Making it's ability to compete openly with DirectX a matter of borrowed time anyway?</strong><hr></blockquote>



    So far Microsoft seems to be playing by the ARB's rules so this isn't preventing OpenGL from adopting certain technologys -- but it does slow things down a little. I don't think MS is actively trying to get in the way either, they're just the ones that happen to own the IP... but somebody is going to own it which means that there are IP issues to be hammered out.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    shannyla, unless im mistaken apple has only killed the windows version of products its purchased. so one might draw the conclusion that if apple bought Maya, the only platform not to survive the cut would again be Windows. perhaps im misinformed, most of Apple's recent purchases are outside of my occupational radar.
  • Reply 79 of 90
    eupfhoriaeupfhoria Posts: 257member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacRonin:

    <strong>MacRonin said:

    As for the iMac comment (and your accompanying attempt to classify me as some 'regular' AppleInsider slack-jawed bottom-feeding teenager...), I wouldn't mind a 17" model in the least... Be great for keeping the listserves open on, and providing music throughout the day... Beats slowing up my main workstation to fulfill such mundane tasks...</strong><hr></blockquote>



    I am aware of the lack of emphasis in these boards, but I am incredibly tired of people assuming that teenagers are automatically slack-jawed bottom-feeders. People automatically assume that we are all pimply faced idiots who just get stoned and cause havoc in civilised peoples lives. People assume that we have no real use to society. I don't know about anyone else on this board, but I do a couple hundred hours of community service a year, all volunteer just cause I think it's right to make other peoples lives better. If anyone asks me for help, and I can, I will. I always try look at both sides of an issue before I make my decision. I am not without my faults, however, I am 17. I am tired of taking sh!t.



    (This really wasn't pointed towards you MacRonin, it's just I finally got really tired of it when I was reading your post. I realize that you are referring to a select group of teenagers. I also respect alot of what you have to say, most of it is well written and thoughtful.)



    [ 07-21-2002: Message edited by: Eupfhoria ]</p>
Sign In or Register to comment.