Samsung rumored to resume making iPhone chips for Apple in 2018 with 7nm 'A12'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    ksec said:
    smalm said:
    Samsung will not have a 7nm EUV process in production in just 1 short year, that's humbug.
    The Korea Herald said on Tuesday
    This is practically a confirmation the A12 will be on TSMC's 7nm only  B)

As of right now, in the best possible scenario, there isn't even enough EUV machine to fit HALF of iPhone SoC Production. 

It is likely the 7nm EUV SoC will be used for something much smaller volume. I am guessing it will be for die shrink of the current iPad SoC or new SoC for Apple Watch.  
    The Apple Watch has been on older processes up to now, getting it to leapfrog ahead and be a vanguard of new techs would actually be a better deal for Apple (they kind of did with the first use of AL 7000, 3D touch and OLED on the watch before anywhere else). Next one will be a ceramic casing eventually (like the current high end watch) and the water expulsing speaker which I believe will come to the phone soon.
    Soli
  • Reply 22 of 24
    longfanglongfang Posts: 456member
    So does this mean that A12 will be 64-bit only and unable to run 32-bit software and thus no longer compatible with Android?
  • Reply 23 of 24
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    foggyhill said:
    ksec said:
    smalm said:
    Samsung will not have a 7nm EUV process in production in just 1 short year, that's humbug.
    The Korea Herald said on Tuesday
    This is practically a confirmation the A12 will be on TSMC's 7nm only  B)

As of right now, in the best possible scenario, there isn't even enough EUV machine to fit HALF of iPhone SoC Production. 

It is likely the 7nm EUV SoC will be used for something much smaller volume. I am guessing it will be for die shrink of the current iPad SoC or new SoC for Apple Watch.  
    The Apple Watch has been on older processes up to now, getting it to leapfrog ahead and be a vanguard of new techs would actually be a better deal for Apple (they kind of did with the first use of AL 7000, 3D touch and OLED on the watch before anywhere else). Next one will be a ceramic casing eventually (like the current high end watch) and the water expulsing speaker which I believe will come to the phone soon.
    Especially when the S1 and S2 are all made by Samsung. SoC in Apple Watch are not really that advanced, no secrets will be let through to Samsung for producing Sx Series SoC. Apple also get the learning experience with 7nm and EUV, which will be crucial to the iPhone SoC.

TSMC plans to use EUV in later 7nm iteration of 5nm, that is 2019 or 2020 time frame.