Apple's iOS 10.3.3 update protects against 'Broadpwn' Wi-Fi exploit

Posted:
in iPhone
The iOS 10.3.3 update Apple released on Wednesday reportedly closes a critical Wi-fi vulnerability, known as Broadpwn, that was patched for Android devices earlier this month.

While the flaw isn't mentioned by name in Apple's security notes, its discovery is credited to Nitay Artenstein from Exodus Intelligence, who helped find the Android equivalent and is preparing a presentation at this month's annual Black Hat conference in Las Vegas, according to CNET. iPhones, iPads, and iPods not patched to iOS 10.3.3 could potentially have their Broadcom Wi-Fi chips taken over by nearby hackers.

The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology has rated Broadpwn a 9.8 out of 10 on its severity scale.

iOS 10.3.3 is largely a maintenance release. In fact it fixes security problems in many different parts of iOS, ranging from apps like Safari, Contacts, and Messages through to underlying frameworks like CoreAudio, WebKit, and the kernel.

The software may be the last iOS update ahead of this fall's iOS 11, which is already in its second public beta. Just a few new features include an overhauled Control Center, a dedicated Files app, and a divergent iPad interface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    "that was patched for Android devices earlier this month"

Google Play Services can't perform security updates, so the majority of Android users with this flaw won't get fixed. Ever. 
    jdgazanton zuykovretrogustomike1chiapkissellostkiwiRacerhomieXlolliverGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 10
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Any idea if the public beta of iOS 11’has this fix too? :)
    sergioz
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    riverko said:
    Of course, all newly discovered security flaws will be included in final version! 
    RacerhomieX
  • Reply 4 of 10
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Google Play Services can't perform security updates, so the majority of Android users with this flaw won't get fixed. Ever. 
    Yes, this kind of info is a non sequitur, a bullshit joke google plays on everyone. Billions of device are not unsecured forever, bravo google and your don't give a frack policy made to gain market share. 

lostkiwiRacerhomieXbaconstangGeorgeBMacjony0
  • Reply 5 of 10
    scartartscartart Posts: 201member
    sergioz said:
    riverko said:
    Of course, all newly discovered security flaws will be included in final version! 
    I'm sure the final version will have this issue fixed but that isn't answering the question that was asked.
    Soliminicoffee
  • Reply 6 of 10
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    foggyhill said:

Yes, this kind of info is a non sequitur, a bullshit joke google plays on everyone. Billions of device are not unsecured forever, bravo google and your don't give a frack policy made to gain market share. 

Good For us ,since Android folks are just sitting Ducks!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    Upgrading all my non iOS 11 devices immediately!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    At 10:20 EST, my iPhone 6+ won't update.
    The update started but then switched to:  "Resume Update" -- which it won't do.   Now, when I "Check for Update" I get a banner saying "Unable to check for update ...  an error occurred" /  "Try Again".  

Update:   Oooops!   Sorry!   That was my router that lost its internet connection.  A reboot fixed it.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 9 of 10
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I updated my 16 GB iPhone 6 from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3 today. Here are my results. All times in MM:SS format:

509 MB available on iPhone (before download) as reported by settings
    2.45 GB download using iTunes
    83.2 MB using Wifi so I chose Wifi
    03:01 download
    At preparing step for 04:46
    Obtained user prompt, or wait 10 seconds for update (pressed "update"), verifying for 01:18
    Rebooted and saw Apple logo with progress bar for 13:36 until finished and presented with passcode screen
    799.8 MB available

I was not expecting the additional space. Anyone have an idea why I see more free space?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    linkman said:
    I updated my 16 GB iPhone 6 from 10.3.2 to 10.3.3 today. Here are my results. All times in MM:SS format:

509 MB available on iPhone (before download) as reported by settings
    2.45 GB download using iTunes
    83.2 MB using Wifi so I chose Wifi
    03:01 download
    At preparing step for 04:46
    Obtained user prompt, or wait 10 seconds for update (pressed "update"), verifying for 01:18
    Rebooted and saw Apple logo with progress bar for 13:36 until finished and presented with passcode screen
    799.8 MB available

I was not expecting the additional space. Anyone have an idea why I see more free space?
    Cache clearing and the like, most likely.