Discovery Communications merges with Scripps in $14.6B deal, will make streaming juggernau...

Posted:
in General Discussion
The combination of Scripps and Discovery will generate over seven billion monthly streams of programming, making it the largest TV show network in the world

Under the terms of the deal, announced Monday morning, Scripps shareholders will receive $90 a share, $63 of which will be in cash and $27 a share in Class C Common shares of Discovery stock. The deal puts a premium on Scripps stock of about 31 percent of its closing price on Friday.

The stock deal encompasses $11.9 billion, with assumed debt from Scripps adding $2.7 billion to the cost of the deal. Discovery will suspend its stock repurchase program until the debt it is assuming to fund the deal is reduced.

The combined company will hold nearly 20 percent of ad-supported television in the U.S. and gets Scripps Network channels HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, Great American Country, Poland's TVN, BBC joint venture UKTV, Asian Food Channel, and lifestyle channel Fine Living Network. Discovery Channel contributions include TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science and Turbo/Velocity, OWN, Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport.

With the increase in so-called "skinny bundles" of streaming internet television packages, the merged company instantly gains negotiating leverage in deals with package providers, potentially including Apple, as well as the ability to further monetize content with significant cost savings because of redundancies in infrastructure.

The transaction is subject to approval by Discovery and Scripps' shareholders, regulatory approvals, and other customary closing conditions. The transaction is expected to close by early 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    e500e500 Posts: 8member
    Why is it I'm thinking this will probably screw the consumer? After having just sh*t-canned DirecTV after 20 years (6 TV's) and replaced it with Apple Tv's and a live tv streaming service and saved $100/month in the process, live tv streaming services will probably be raising their prices whenever their contracts are up for renewal.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ferdchetferdchet Posts: 38member
    Seven billion monthly streams of programming, and only 18 hours of those are not repeats.  Out of those 18 hours, only 4 are worth watching.  :D
    baconstanglolliver
  • Reply 3 of 6
    stanthemanstantheman Posts: 332member
    "... making it the largest TV show network in the world." What does that even mean? Bigger than NBC? Bigger than Hulu? I subscribe to content, not to phrases invented by the PR/marketing staff.
    edited July 2017
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    "... making it the largest TV show network in the world." What does that even mean? Bigger than NBC? Bigger than Hulu? I subscribe to content, not to phrases invented by the PR/marketing staff.
    Measured by monthly streams, by far larger than NBC or Hulu.
    [Deleted User]lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 6
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member

The combined company will hold nearly 20 percent of ad-supported television in the U.S. and gets Scripps Network channels HGTV, Food Network, Travel Channel, DIY Network, Cooking Channel, Great American Country, Poland's TVN, BBC joint venture UKTV, Asian Food Channel, and lifestyle channel Fine Living Network. Discovery Channel contributions include TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science and Turbo/Velocity, OWN, Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport.

There is nothing on that list I would pay for. Nothing.

Yes, YMMV. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    "The combined company will hold nearly 20 percent of ad-supported television in the U.S." If it's ad-supported, then they should just work with Apple to add those channels to the AppleTV without any other goofy login or access hurdles. In fact, just let Apple handle them through the TV interface, don't even bother with your own Apps, if possible. Wouldn't it be better to have a larger audience watching your programming (and therefore your advertising) than limiting it to those who have cable/satellite packages? If I had the package, I wouldn't be streaming it, duh. Either charge me a fee (through Apple) or make it free and keep the ads, not both. Between arcane restrictions and bad app design, it's no wonder they can't figure out how to monetize streaming. Keep it simple, stupid (KISS) should be the motto. The AppleTV works great (not perfect, but great), however my family seldom explores the apps outside of iTunes content, Netflix, Hulu, and games because most of them have some ridiculous website login procedure and/or terrible design. If your content is really worth watching, then the audience will be there. Stop acting so terrified of Apple taking your market. They already have and you're losing money and potential customers by trying to go around them.