Foxconn exec's social media post claims high rejection rate for 'iPhone 8' OLED screens

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If this leak is legit that is one fugly phone, especially the front. It’s so bad it has to be fake, no?

[image]
    I have no comment about the validity of the image, but I will note that the original leaked images of the iPhone 4 from Gizmodo looked fugly, too, yet that's still one of the most beautiful designs to this day.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 38
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    robjn said:
    If this leak is legit that is one fugly phone, especially the front. It’s so bad it has to be fake, no?

Definitely fake! Silver Apple logo gives it away.
    I also highly doubt Apple will use a white bezel. This would simply look better with an all black front, like the Apple Watches.

These images show four front facing sensors, the recent EVT screen shot photo appears to show three. The EVT screen shot also appears to show a normal size power button as opposed to the larger button in some of these parts and renders.
    Ah you’re right I just noticed the silver logo. Totally fake.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This looks foxcon complaining they're making less money from their contract... ithis is so unprofessional that îd expect that guy got blamed for it and is on the way out. Apple will insiste hés sacked after something like that if it is indeed a real issue. it's even possible this is part of a stock manipulation and the sec should investigate everyone he knows .
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 38
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    vlscout said:
    40 percent screen defect rate, touch ID not working/ left out, "sense of panic in the air" at Apple HQ regarding the iPhone 8 software / hardware regardless where the news comes from, this does not sound good ---> looks like apple aimed too high with the iPhone 8
    they better ramp it up. these 250k+$/year engineers need to have some challenges for the bucks :)
    vlscout
  • Reply 25 of 38
    rob53 said:
    These are Samsung-manufactured OLEDs aren't they? Can't wait for LG to ramp up to replace Samsung. Leave the Samsung rejects for Android phones.
    I also found this an odd omission in the story, which simply attributes blame to "the supply chain" for the OLEDs.
  • Reply 26 of 38

vlscout said:
    40 percent screen defect rate, touch ID not working/ left out, "sense of panic in the air" at Apple HQ regarding the iPhone 8 software / hardware regardless where the news comes from, this does not sound good ---> looks like apple aimed too high with the iPhone 8
    The code name for iPhone 8 is "Icarus." (It's not, but people tend to misinterpret my dry wit)
  • Reply 27 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Avieshek said:
    Inefficient design. 
    Says who? You? Who are you? What your qualifications? What consumer electronics goods have you worked on?
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 38

smaffei said:
    Makes me want to hold off until the iPhone 8 is in ample supply. That way you can get a phone with a defective screen replaced.
    Why would rumors make you want to do that? I'll wait and see what is announced, and if it offers me value will get one in order to derive the value as soon as possible. If for some reason I encounter a hardware problem I have little doubt I'll be taken care of, as usual.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 38

vlscout said:
    No, it looks like you're taking every single rumor as fact, despite how they go against both history and common sense. Yet, you believe every single one of them without question. The problem isn't Apple, or the unannounced product.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 38
    vlscout said:
    Apple is doooooooooomed!
  • Reply 31 of 38
    The use of the word substrate causes me to think it's thinning of a layer to allow an under-display fingerprint sensor to function.  This thinning had already been mentioned, as I'm sure I read about it here on AppleInsider.  It's all just speculation on top of rumors and unconfirmed supply-chain reports, but as long as we're contemplating our navels, I'd say this is evidence of layer thinning.  After all, there are already phones with cutouts in the display shape, aren't there?  If you can cut the panels at all, even into squares, without producing issues, and if you can wrap them over an edge as in the Samsung Galaxy Edge models, without producing defects, then surely the cutout at the top, if that's the design (which would have been finalized a long time ago), wouldn't be the source of a high defect rate. 

sub·strate
    ˈsəbˌstrāt/
    noun
    1. a substance or layer that underlies something, or on which some process occurs, in particular.
      • the surface or material on or from which an organism lives, grows, or obtains its nourishment.
      • the substance on which an enzyme acts.
    I am Chinese. There is nothing about "substrate" in the original Chinese post.

the first paragraph is about Samsung will have a new oled production line online soon. 

The second paragraph is about, they are having problems to cut  the odd shape screen. Thus the OLED accepted rate is only 60%

nothing about substrate 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 32 of 38
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    viclauyyc said:
    The use of the word substrate causes me to think it's thinning of a layer to allow an under-display fingerprint sensor to function.  This thinning had already been mentioned, as I'm sure I read about it here on AppleInsider.  It's all just speculation on top of rumors and unconfirmed supply-chain reports, but as long as we're contemplating our navels, I'd say this is evidence of layer thinning.  After all, there are already phones with cutouts in the display shape, aren't there?  If you can cut the panels at all, even into squares, without producing issues, and if you can wrap them over an edge as in the Samsung Galaxy Edge models, without producing defects, then surely the cutout at the top, if that's the design (which would have been finalized a long time ago), wouldn't be the source of a high defect rate. 

sub·strate
    ˈsəbˌstrāt/
    noun
    1. a substance or layer that underlies something, or on which some process occurs, in particular.
      • the surface or material on or from which an organism lives, grows, or obtains its nourishment.

the first paragraph is about Samsung will have a new oled production line online soon. 

The second paragraph is about, they are having problems to cut  the odd shape screen. Thus the OLED accepted rate is only 60%

nothing about substrate 
    Thank you. Helps when someone can read the language the post was made in. 
  • Reply 33 of 38
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Thankfully only one month to go until the real iPhone 8 arrives.
    Then the 2018 rumors can begin.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Soli said:

[image]
    I have no comment about the validity of the image, but I will note that the original leaked images of the iPhone 4 from Gizmodo looked fugly, too, yet that's still one of the most beautiful designs to this day.

Amen! I personally think that the iPhone 4 was the best looking one, followed closely by the original iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:

You're looking at it wrong. As usual.

Can't be judged from a flat photograph — has to be held in the hand. Suspend judgment. 
    What does holding it in the hand have to do with how I think it looks? It might be the greatest feel in the hand phone ever. I still think it’s ugly. And if this was a Samsung or some Chinese OEM I suspect everyone here would say the same.
    I agree in hindsight that these look like fake mockups. But the point remains that whatever the real phone looks like, its first two-dimensional photographs can't be used to make an assessment of its overall beauty, or lack thereof. 

In other words, you can't judge the new design until you're holding it in your hand. The real tactile experience has everything to do with how you decide it "looks."

It's a mystery. You won't understand this until you listen to Steve Jobs and do something about altering your consciousness.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 36 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Soli said:

[image]
    Correct.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    viclauyyc said:

sub·strate
    ˈsəbˌstrāt/
    noun

nothing about substrate 
    Samsung? The AppleInsider translation offers no mention of Samsung.

The rule of thumb is: praise always goes to Apple's suppliers, blame always sticks to Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    viclauyyc said:

sub·strate
    ˈsəbˌstrāt/
    noun

nothing about substrate 
    Samsung? The AppleInsider translation offers no mention of Samsung.

The rule of thumb is: praise always goes to Apple's suppliers, blame always sticks to Apple.
    Why would it? It's not Samsung cutting the screen material and getting only a 60% return rate, It's Foxconn. 

OLED screens are supplied in big sheets. It's up to the assemblers to cut and finish them.
    gatorguy