Videos of 'iPhone 8' and 'iPhone 7s Plus' mockups hit web, suggest leaks originate from si...

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2017
The latest batch of dummy "iPhone 8" and "iPhone 7s" series phones have apparently made their way out of China, as a pair of videos on Wednesday offer hands-on looks at what appears to be identical device mockups.

In a first video, YouTube creator Danny Winget got his hands on what he claims to be an "iPhone 7s Plus" prototype, though the part is almost assuredly a mockup based on leaked CAD renderings and rumors.

Like alleged "iPhone 7s" and "7s Plus" dummy units photographed earlier today, the mockups in Winget's video are emblazoned with "Conformit Europenne" (CE) and battery disposal iconography. Apple digitized regulatory markings with iPhone 7 in the U.S. and moved the icons to the "About" section in Settings, leaving only the "iPhone" logo above small text reading "Designed in California Assembled in China" and information regarding model number, FCC identifier and IC code. International models incorporate regulatory marks, but are much longer than simply "CE."

While the dummy unit is probably a knock-off, its design could be based on legitimate schematics. Apple suppliers in China have been known to leak sensitive data, including final design molds, documents and internal components.

As seen below, the "iPhone 7s Plus" dummy unit is expectedly similar to current iPhone 7 Plus hardware in terms of component positioning, bezel design and dimensions. The only obvious difference is a glass back, which appears to sport thinner antenna lines than existing iPhone models. Apple is anticipated to employ a glass chassis in all 2017 iPhone models to facilitate wireless charging.

Winget goes on to compare the "7s Plus" against a supposed "iPhone 8" unit, illustrating the extreme deviation in display size and obvious aesthetic differences. While the "7s Plus" model boasts Apple's normal thick "chin" and "forehead" bezels, the "iPhone 8" bezels are almost nonexistent.

Notably, Winget's "iPhone 8" sports white bezels, contradicting recent reports that Apple intends to limit front face color options to black when the device launches. Whether the company plans to release a version with white bezels, as is available on certain iPhone configurations, is unclear.

A second video from Techtastic, also posted today, reveals what appears to be an "iPhone 8" chassis and front screen assembly. Both the chassis and front face are done in black, consistent with recent rumors.

Not much can be gleaned from the video, but it does give a sense of what the device might look like in a user's hand.

Closer inspection of Winget's mockup and the Techtastic unit shows both dummy models are identical to parts featured in today's image from leaker Sonny Dickson. Further, a separate "leak" on Wednesday featured a gold copper colored "iPhone 8" showing the same "CE" and battery disposal indicia. Considering the timing and apparently identical markings, each of the components seen today seem to originate from a single source.

Apple is expected to debut "iPhone 8" alongside incremental changes to the iPhone 7 series at a special event in September. The new flagship smartphone is thought to include new and exotic technologies never before seen in Apple's product line. A number of these features, including facial recognition, 3D-sensing cameras, a home button-less display, high-definition video recording, "SmartCam" photo and video capture, and more, have been all but confirmed by Apple's inadvertent release of HomePod firmware late last month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    "leaving only the "iPhone" logo above small text reading "Designed in California Assembled in China" and information regarding model number, FCC identifier and IC code."

The inclusion externally visible regulatory marks varies region by region (even inside the USA). While certain handsets sold in the USA may exhibit no externally visible regulatory markings, this is not consistent world-wide.

Historically the inclusion of regulatory markings on prototypes varies, the devices are prototypes and their inclusion would only be for testing purposes and not to satisfy regulatory requirements.
    Soli1983doozydozen[Deleted User]Rayz2016cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 15
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Glad to see that iphone7 S  lineup  will have some design changes .. with the stainless sides and glass back to distinguish is from previouse years... 
     4th year of having almost identical design would not have been so desirable  imo.

If these leaks,more or less, show the final product.. kudos to Apple for freshening  up the S design ! 

All that said  I'm am getting the x ... :).. if i can find one..?love the bezel free design  and the functionality gained through the new sensors.
    :) 

Looking forward! 

1983RacerhomieX
  • Reply 3 of 15
     I will only get the new iPhone x or whatever it may be called. I have stayed with my iPhone 6plus for three years now and it still runs extremely smooth and I baby my phone so it does not even have a scratch. I'm hoping to trade it in and at least knock $100 of the price of this new phone. Even though the 7s plus will be a significant upgrade over the 6plus it still has the same overall look to it. I just want a different look or I'll feel like I'm buying the same thing. And the OLED screen will probably be a pretty significant upgrade. It won't really matter to me if I cannot get it until November or early December because I had to wait for a month to get the 6plus after I purchased it anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I like it. I want it. Copper or Back is fine with me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Like I said, the Chinese are making non-functioning "rumor replicas" to sell to guys with YouTube channels. You know the ones.
    Avieshekwatto_cobraEsquireCatsbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 15
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Like I said, the Chinese are making non-functioning "rumor replicas" to sell to guys with YouTube channels. You know the ones.
    The same twits practicing to bend them later, gotta practice in advance of course... ;-).
    watto_cobradoozydozenEsquireCatsRayz2016StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 7 of 15
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Glad to see that iphone7 S  lineup  will have some design changes .. with the stainless sides and glass back to distinguish is from previouse years... 
     4th year of having almost identical design would not have been so desirable  imo.

If these leaks,more or less, show the final product.. kudos to Apple for freshening  up the S design ! 

All that said  I'm am getting the x ... :).. if i can find one..?love the bezel free design  and the functionality gained through the new sensors.
    :) 

Looking forward! 

My thoughts exactly, pertaining to the 7S refresh. Makes it a whole lot more desirable I'd say.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15

"a glass back, which appears to sport thinner antenna lines than existing iPhone models"

Does a phone with a glass back need antenna lines?

• Reply 9 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

I don't think it will be called the S anymore, since it's a new design. I think Gruber and his links are right, it will be something else (my money is on just plain iPhone, and iPhone Pro). The S moniker is reserved for a "tock" update of the internals but same outward design.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    As we've seen with prior mockup and schematic releases, these are probably accurate. Leaking Apple information is now a guaranteed path to fast money, otherwise these Chinese suppliers would make sure this info was locked down tight.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    crosslad said:

"a glass back, which appears to sport thinner antenna lines than existing iPhone models"

The thinner antenna breaks in the chrome sides is what he was talking about, and you apparently do need those.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Do you think the 7s (or whatever is called) will also have dual cameras like the 7s Plus?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    The jet black version looks quite decent. No shiny metal frame around the camera bump. Camera/ sensor holes and the raised edges in front not noticeable.
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 15
    iPhone 7 , 7s plus and Decade Edition? 

If the Decade edition is $1200 as some rumors suggest then no go. if there is only facial recognition without some sort of touch ID to unlock then no go for me bro.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    crosslad said:

iPhone 4/4S?