Hands on: Find anything fast on your Mac with the Atlas Recall app and service

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    cpsro said:
    I'm sorry, but using the cloud for this is simply unacceptable.
    IMHO, sites like AI should stand behind consumers and not accept this either.

Even if you don't care about giving up this level of privacy, I can imagine information about your friends, relatives and colleagues may leak through this service that those other people would prefer not be leaked. (As an analogy, think about the people who handed over their contacts database to LinkedIn and how perhaps most of the people on that list wouldn't have wanted that to happen.)
    Not everybody shares your point of view on the cloud. But, we did the piece, so now you know that it's cloud based, and users can make a decision on what works for them.

However....

Realize that if you use google's DNS, Gmail, Google calendar, post to Facebook, post to Twitter, or any of a host of other options - like LinkedIn, like you said - there is a ton of information that gets doled out to all of these services.

Some are okay with that. Some aren't. There's no reason for us to "stand behind consumers" who aren't unified in their like or dislike of the cloud. 
    I'll bet far more people share my view than you (seem to) imagine, but they feel powerless to change the situation. Most people don't have the resources to operate their own mail, carddav and caldav servers. (Speaking of mail, the new leadership at the FCC wants to allow ISPs to snoop and sell your Internet traffic, including your email traffic, which generally isn't encrypted, even if you operate a private mail server.)

Google gets enough info from me through search that I avoid using their other services (and Android!) whenever practical.

Use of the cloud by Atlas Recall seems totally unnecessary--I'd like to see the company justify it.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Some third party wants to index all my files and store them on their servers...

and im supposed to want that?

riiiiight...

so so what if it's free. Spyware is generally free. 
  • Reply 23 of 23
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    Used this for some time, but felt uncomfortable with Privacy Policy and deleted my account. Will be excited to get back with them when they're able to keep things on-system rather than having to use their own servers for storage of my own information.

BS on the cloud storage being necessary for storing info about my own files.  I can understand it for other things, but given my own background in this area I can cry BS at them on this.