Samsung to face off against Apple's 'iPhone 8' with 6.3-inch Galaxy Note 8 [u]

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    That sounds like a REALLY great piece of hardware -- much better than the iPhone 8!
    ...  Can I get it with IOS 11 and the Apple ecosystem preloaded?

Not sure I agree with your "much better hardware than iPhone 8" statement. For one, iPhone 8/Pro is NOT yet launched. So we don't know what are all the hardware features in iPhone Pro are going to be (Pro is what I would like to call it, not 8). Even going by rumors,

i) iPhone Pro will definitely have a significantly better SoC.

ii) Better design (particularly the FPS location design defect which is carried over from S8 generation to Note 8, which Apple will NEVER do).

iii) Storage - Apple's NVME implementation is far better than Samsung's UFS 2.1.

iv) RAM - Yes, Samsung has an advantage here. But Samsung immediately loses that advantage by lousy RAM management in software. This is the main reason why you wished for iOS in this phone, instead of GraceUX.

v) Camera - Not sure. Even if one phone has an advantage over the other, it is miniscule at best in the bigger picture. So we can ignore this as an advantage/disadvantage.

vi) Audio hardware - Again Not sure. If it were comparison with HTC, I would have definitely said "Yes" as advantage to the HTC phone over ANY other phone including iPhones. Not so with Samsung.

vii) Display - The most important thing, again there is NO evidence to suggest iPhone Pro would have an inferior display compared to Samsung Galaxy Note 8. There is a chance iPhone Pro would have a "better" display than Note 8, particularly because of 120Hz refresh rate in iPhone Pro's display.

Regarding the second point - Not in 2017!!! May be 2117 or 3017, who knows? More realistically, it would help IF it came with stock Android but that is NOT an option for Notes due to S-Pen functionality and Google is NOT in a hurry to include this "niche" feature in stock Android. So the Samsung Note users would need to put up with Samsung's inefficient Touchwiz/GraceUX. Other option is - Apple to support Pencil in iPhone Pro as an accessory. That would be a real alternative to Samsung Notes.

Good Points All!
    Well, except...
    ... The one about my liking IOS 11 because of its RAM management.  While IOS does have better RAM management and general, overall efficiency, that's not the (only) reason I prefer it.   The real "reason" is about a billion minor little details that Apple paid attention to that make it "just work" -- PLUS, (and possibly mainly) the Apple Ecosystem that supports the whole thing....

But, perhaps the real point here is:   Samsung, along with most electronics vendors, tend to come out with a few splashy, headline grabbing features that say:  "This is a product you HAVE to buy!".   Meanwhile, in an Apple product such as the iPhone, there is seldom any one special standout feature*.  Rather, it is a homogenous blend of multiple features you hardly notice that just make the product as a whole so great that you just "have to buy it".

*  While it is true that during the keynote presentation Apple will highlight the new features in their updated product, a month or two later, most people will have forgotten and those great new features have simply blended in to become part of the product.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification regarding your preference for iOS. l have a gut feel that Apple will pull a rabbit out of the hat in iPhone Pro's launch event which no one is thinking of as a possibility right now. It could be that FPS under screen or advanced AR/AI capabilities which no one has ever imagined.
    edited August 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 43 of 43
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    Just one more reason not to buy Samsung