Apple's 'iPhone 8' rumored to top out at 7.5W for wireless charging

Comments

• Reply 61 of 123
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Soli said:
    ireland said:

Soli said:
    justme12 said:
    What is so difficult with plugging in an iPhone to charge? Wireless charging is NOT important, to me at least.
    Such a weird argument to suggest that inductive charging may come to the iPhone because plugging it in is somehow "difficult." Were you also on the review of the Alpine's iLX-107 saying "What is so difficult with plugging in an iPhone for CarPlay? Wireless CarPlay is NOT important, to me at least."?
    You Ok? I think his comment is sound. It’s his opinion. He’s merely saying wireless charging isn’t a big deal to him, and he doesn’t mind plugging in.
    Sucking your own dick is difficult but sucking a hobo's dick is probably pretty easy, yet I doubt you'd want to do that simply because I say "it's not so difficult."
    What is wrong with you today.
    radarthekattmayavon b7pscooter63macky the mackywatto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 123
    "Apple will allegedly be going with technology capping the "iPhone 8's" wireless charging at 7.5 watts, resulting in slower speeds." What speeds? This is very poorly written. It should say... "Apple will allegedly be going with technology capping the "iPhone 8's" wireless charging at 7.5 watts, resulting in longer charging times."
    netmagemacky the macky
  • Reply 63 of 123
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,338member
    gerard said:
    My experience of using the iPad charger on my 7+ was it does charge faster but it also loses the charge faster. When I use the supplied charger; it did take longer to charge but the battery life was much better. 
    I use a 12w iPad charger for my 7 plus daily, or every other day depending on usage. I have never had an issue of the phone discharging faster because I used a larger charger. You probably should take it it into the Apple store to be looked at or replaced.  
    irelandchianetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 123
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    radarthekat said:
    How do you infer that?
    You claimed inductive charging was too inefficient to use and then came up with a compromise that included having both charging methods. That's how.

ireland said:
    It's an extreme example to illustrate just how ridiculous your argument is. Would you like a different example that fits in better with your safe space guidelines?

jcs2305 said:
    I use a 12w iPad charger for my 7 plus daily, or every other day depending on usage. I have never had an issue of the phone discharging faster because I used a larger charger. You probably should take it it into the Apple store to be looked at or replaced.  
    I can't think of a single reason why charging faster means that the energy would be used faster by the other components or that the energy stored would somehow be a "diet" version. I've been using an iPad charger for my iPhones since around 2010 and I seem to have better battery life than all the people that constantly complain about it, but that's likely because I adjust my apps background processes and cellular use in Settings.

snoissea said:
    "Apple will allegedly be going with technology capping the "iPhone 8's" wireless charging at 7.5 watts, resulting in slower speeds." What speeds? This is very poorly written. It should say... "Apple will allegedly be going with technology capping the "iPhone 8's" wireless charging at 7.5 watts, resulting in longer charging times."
    If the PSU can pus 50% more energy wouldn't you expect the charge times to be faster? Like nearly 50% shorter for a given battery capacity, save for considering the complex electronics that deal with the extra fast charge to 80% and then the slower charge to get to 100% (or whatever the chemistry requires)?
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 65 of 123
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Soli said:
    It's an extreme example to illustrate just how ridiculous your argument is. Would you like a different example that fits in better with your safe space guidelines?
    Give it a rest already.
    radarthekatpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 123
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jcs2305 said:
    gerard said:
    My experience of using the iPad charger on my 7+ was it does charge faster but it also loses the charge faster. When I use the supplied charger; it did take longer to charge but the battery life was much better. 
    Faster charging DOES damage a battery over time quicker than using a lower wattage, that's a fact cause well it is chemistry, there is no way around it really.
    Current density, heat and how much the battery is fully charged or discharged when used or charged are the biggest factors in their longevity (all those factors are linked.

Just how much depends on how the battery is constructed, what kind of algorithm is used to modulate the charging,
    how heat is evacuated, is the battery used during charging, is the bigger charge plugged in when the phone is at 10% or 50%, is the phone charged in hot weather or poorly ventilated areas and how many full cycles it has already been through.

If the fast charging algorythm limits fast charging in the 30%-70% range and responds to heat (slowing down charging in hotter conditions), that damage will be relatively low.

A phone with less heat being evacuated and much more charging cycles than an ipad is more susceptible to eventually degrade the battery.
    That's likely why they ship the Iphone with the smaller charger. Apple knows this is what gives a longer longevity to the battery.

In a bigger vehicule like a car, they can mitigate this by basically split up the battery in many many parts to limit current density and make heat dissipation less of an issue; though considering what fast charging means for a car, it obviously still is as any owners of those cars will attest.

edited August 2017 pscooter63
  • Reply 67 of 123
    jdw said:
     I concur with those here who say Apple is reserving the 15W tech for the iPhone 9 so as to have something compelling for would-be buyers of the iPhone 9. Seriously, those of us who have been Apple enthusiasts since the 1980s know Apple very well. This is nothing new.  Apple has long put "old tech" in their devices so as to make more money and to compel people to upgrade when the next "latest and greatest" Apple device comes out. And that is precisely why Power Computing other Mac clone makers were so successful in taking away business from Apple when Apple decided to license macOS in the 1990s. It was because those clone makers departed from Apple's strategy and instead put modern technology in their devices, along with greater expandability and upgradability, which is what the lured customers away from Apple's comparatively sub par machines.  Even though Apple had a better industrial design than those clone makers, customers flocked to the clone makers because of faster performance, more ports, and better overall hardware functionality. 

All of this means that if Apple would start giving people more value in Macs, they would have even more success than they have now.  Macs have always been expensive, but in the past at least we Mac lovers could say that we were getting our money's worth. I'm not so sure we can really say that anymore about modern Macs, perhaps with the exception of the iMac alone. 

This truth will of course piss off all of the "Apple is always right and never wrong, let's worship Apple" people in this forum.  But truth is truth.  If Apple were to license macOS today, a clone maker would probably come out with a 17 inch MacBook Pro that offers not only all of the functionality 15 inch MacBook Pro offers, but also restore everything Apple gutted from the 2015 edition.   And they would probably sell quite well even if some could argue that Apple's manufacturing precision and design aesthetic were comparatively better.  

Windows lovers would try to argue that we can get all of that now simply by turning the Windows, but that's like a Jedi turning to the Darkside. We who love macOS are sticking with macOS.  We simply long for a greater value in the machines that we buy which run MacOS, which means we want more functionality, not less. And that doesn't mean more functionality from "a universal port that requires numerous dongles that likely will be forgotten at home."  I'm happy to have those new USBC ports so long as we have at least one of the old USBA ports onboard too. And let us not forget the beloved SD card slot either. 
    I absolutely agree jdw. I bought a Power Computing  clone back in the day for those reasons. Apple lost the plot around MacOS 9 and it became a crash monster. I then had a Sharp notebook for 7yrs. I'm still running a 2008 unibody 15" MacBook Pro now. It was good value then. But now I just can't stomach the current prices. Here in Australia I noticed a big surge in people buying MacBooks in 2008-2010 as the value was there.

I buy Apple products because I see the value in the total cost of ownership and the experience, not because I'm rich. 

I honestly can't see myself changing from iOS but when my old timer Mac eventually becomes totally unusable, cough, choke, it's not a certainty that I'll buy another Mac.

jdw
  • Reply 68 of 123
    ireland said:
    Soli said:
    Give it a rest already.
    Stop bitching already.

foggyhill said:
    Faster charging DOES damage a battery over time quicker than using a lower wattage, that's a fact cause well it is chemistry, there is no way around it really.
    That's not what gerard was saying. He specifically stated that when he uses a faster charger the phone will discharge faster and when he goes back to to the original charger it will discharger slower. While I can't say that it doesn't happen—perhaps because it doesn't get to 100% because of some safety feature built in—his comment seemed to allude to the some sort of inferior or lesser energy being stored in the battery, not damage to the battery after prolonged use of a high Watt charger.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 69 of 123
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    justme12 said:
    What is so difficult with plugging in an iPhone to charge? Wireless charging is NOT important, to me at least.
    It is if you need to charge the phone while having it play music on a wired connection (unless you still have an older phone where you could do both at once)
  • Reply 70 of 123
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    ireland said:
    He’s merely saying wireless charging isn’t a big deal to him, and he doesn’t mind plugging in.
    He's also implying others should think like him and also find wireless charging as 'no big deal'.  These are two different things. I don't mind someone having a different opinion. I do mind when the attempt to tell me how I should feel.

So it's no big deal to him. Fine. To assume it should be no big deal to anybody else is silly to say the least. To assume that just because others appreciate wireless charging that's it's a big deal to them is equally silly. Now if someone is saying they will or won't by a phone because of the presence or lack of wireless charging, yeah, then I'd say it's probably a big deal to them.

I just don't see the logic his comment based on the most part, the presence of this thread. People like to discuss.
    SoliStrangeDays
  • Reply 71 of 123
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,896moderator
    Soli said:
    radarthekat said:
    How do you infer that?
    You claimed inductive charging was too inefficient to use and then came up with a compromise that included having both charging methods. That's how.

No, I did not.  I merely stated that it is not as efficient as wired charging.  You need to go back and read what I originally wrote.  

ireland said:

Yes, as a moderator here, I would prefer you didn't resort to offensive examples.  Good rule of thumb; imagine your eight year old daughter is reading what you write.

jcs2305 said:
    I can't think of a single reason why charging faster means that the energy would be used faster by the other components or that the energy stored would somehow be a "diet" version. I've been using an iPad charger for my iPhones since around 2010 and I seem to have better battery life than all the people that constantly complain about it, but that's likely because I adjust my apps background processes and cellular use in Settings.

snoissea said:
    If the PSU can pus 50% more energy wouldn't you expect the charge times to be faster? Like nearly 50% shorter for a given battery capacity, save for considering the complex electronics that deal with the extra fast charge to 80% and then the slower charge to get to 100% (or whatever the chemistry requires)?

pscooter63GeorgeBMacnetmageireland
  • Reply 72 of 123
    jdw said:
     I concur with those here who say Apple is reserving the 15W tech for the iPhone 9 so as to have something compelling for would-be buyers of the iPhone 9. ...

Nope!   Apple didn't get where it is and it won't stay there by making marketing and sales it's #1 priority.   Apple is head and shoulders above the rest by making GREAT products.   (And sometimes "great" means a product that is stable, reliable and dependable rather than being merely bleeding edge.)
    edited August 2017 SoliStrangeDaysnetmagepscooter63radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 123
    This can ultimately have only a single end:  A portless iPhone where:
    -- Music and video is streamed bi-directionally wirelessly
    -- The phone is charged inductively
    -- The phone is backed up exclusively wirelessly.

The Apple Watch is leading that charge to portless mobile devices.

We don't need no stinkin' holes in our iPhones!
    radarthekat
  • Reply 74 of 123
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    jdw said:
     I concur with those here who say Apple is reserving the 15W tech for the iPhone 9 so as to have something compelling for would-be buyers of the iPhone 9. ...

Nope!   Apple didn't get where it is and it won't stay there by making marketing and sales it's #1 priority.   Apple is head and shoulders above the rest by making GREAT products.   (And sometimes "great" means a product that is stable, reliable and dependable rather than being merely bleeding edge.)
    The first MacBook Air was a perfect example of Apple trying to be bleeding edge and going too far. The machine lacked ports, was underpowered and very prone to having the GPU overheat. It was of course expensive.

Later generations corrected some of those  issues.

I lost count of the amount of graphics/video related issues they have had over the years. Sometimes with official repair programmes (that swap out faulty cards for identical ones with the same risk of failure) and sometimes without.

Apple makes great products - but not always.
    edited August 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 75 of 123
    avon b7 said:
    jdw said:

The first MacBook Air was a perfect example of Apple trying to be bleeding edge and going too far. The machine lacked ports, was underpowered and very prone to having the GPU overheat. It was of course expensive.

I lost count of the amount of graphics/video related issues they have had over the years. Sometimes with official repair programmes (that swap out faulty cards for identical ones with the same risk of failure) and sometimes without.

1) It was bleeding edge, hence the cost. Intel dusted off an entire class of ultra-low power CPU that it previously had no way of marketing. There was nothing about that machine that was designed to fleece buyers. Being slower than other Intel processors doesn't mean that the cost is lower.

2) While no MacBook Air has ever suited my needs it's a stretch to say that it wasn't a great product for its target market. R&D from that product category has permeated throughout Apple's design ethos and created an entirely new class of notebooks called Ultrabooks that waved by Apple's MBA. Despite all the bitching about not having an ODD you're hard pressed to find any notebook today that comes with an ODD.
    StrangeDaysnetmageGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 123
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,407member
    Huge difference between wireless and inductive. There’s not a whole lot of difference between plugging a phone in and laying it on a specific place on a table to charge. 
    What, a few inches? A few feet? I'd think that without the principle of induction, wireless charging as we now know it wouldn't be possible. Not huge, really, though I could be wrong.

No, also no huge difference. But convenience is relative, though some people refuse to accept that. I charge my phone the same places every day, at work and at play. Home, workplace, car, bike, and rarely, at someone else's house, car, or the airport.

Obviously, (LOL) a cable is a sometimes handy sometimes necessary thing to have and not difficult to use. However, I can and to appreciate convenience and know that also obviously what is convenient for me may not be the same for anyone else.

I appreciate power windows in my car. Some here may not know the experience of hand-crank windows, or even the one-tap down for power windows. I had to live without for years. 'Oh, the humanity' you reply. Yes, first world 'problem' but I love that feature. Same auto on/auto off headlights.Same with auto-on windshield wipers. Oh and auto-on headlights when using wipers. (State law, nice not to have to think about compliance- it's automatic.) Then there's home automation with sensors to turn control my lights with my mere movement, not even having to 'tell' them what to do. And all this while maintaining a low BMI.

So the act of placing my Watch on a charging stand vs plugging in a Lightning cable is appreciated. How much energy is wasted? Don't know, don't care. Walking into my office or coming home, the mere act of setting my phone down on a mat without even so much breaking stride appeals to me, as does picking it up off the mat as I leave. Convenience. Some find it overrated. Fine. But they can take their arrogance of telling me I don't need it and shove it up their tight ass.

Let's not even consider how inductive over plug-in power has helped people with physical impairments lead a more 'normal' life with dignity. Watching people struggle with what we see as a 'what's so difficult' task of plug-in a cable is a little painful. Or maybe not at all for some people. 

So yeah, give me a mat where I can drop my phone as desired/needed and I'm happy.

Also I think inductive charging falls under the IEEE standard of wireless charging, so I call it wireless. That it may confuse and/or infuriate some, well, it is what it is.

Soli
  • Reply 77 of 123
    I believe it. Its 2017 and Apple still uses a f***king usb 2.0 cable for their iPhones and iPads.
    Nice try at inventing an issue. The iPhone and iPads use Wi-fi and LTE, in case you hadn't heard. They can backup, download content and software updates completely over the air. Apple's kept their devices updated with the latest wireless standards: Wi-fi, Bluetooth, and LTE.
    You know what most users do with their USB 2 cable? Charge their iPhones and iPads.
    Rayz2016netmagepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 78 of 123
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,037member
    kitatit said:
    jdw said:
     I concur with those here who say Apple is reserving the 15W tech for the iPhone 9 so as to have something compelling for would-be buyers of the iPhone 9. Seriously, those of us who have been Apple enthusiasts since the 1980s know Apple very well. This is nothing new.  Apple has long put "old tech" in their devices so as to make more money and to compel people to upgrade when the next "latest and greatest" Apple device comes out. And that is precisely why Power Computing other Mac clone makers were so successful in taking away business from Apple when Apple decided to license macOS in the 1990s. It was because those clone makers departed from Apple's strategy and instead put modern technology in their devices, along with greater expandability and upgradability, which is what the lured customers away from Apple's comparatively sub par machines.  Even though Apple had a better industrial design than those clone makers, customers flocked to the clone makers because of faster performance, more ports, and better overall hardware functionality. 

All of this means that if Apple would start giving people more value in Macs, they would have even more success than they have now.  Macs have always been expensive, but in the past at least we Mac lovers could say that we were getting our money's worth. I'm not so sure we can really say that anymore about modern Macs, perhaps with the exception of the iMac alone. 

This truth will of course piss off all of the "Apple is always right and never wrong, let's worship Apple" people in this forum.  But truth is truth.  If Apple were to license macOS today, a clone maker would probably come out with a 17 inch MacBook Pro that offers not only all of the functionality 15 inch MacBook Pro offers, but also restore everything Apple gutted from the 2015 edition.   And they would probably sell quite well even if some could argue that Apple's manufacturing precision and design aesthetic were comparatively better.  

Windows lovers would try to argue that we can get all of that now simply by turning the Windows, but that's like a Jedi turning to the Darkside. We who love macOS are sticking with macOS.  We simply long for a greater value in the machines that we buy which run MacOS, which means we want more functionality, not less. And that doesn't mean more functionality from "a universal port that requires numerous dongles that likely will be forgotten at home."  I'm happy to have those new USBC ports so long as we have at least one of the old USBA ports onboard too. And let us not forget the beloved SD card slot either. 
    I absolutely agree jdw. I bought a Power Computing  clone back in the day for those reasons. Apple lost the plot around MacOS 9 and it became a crash monster. I then had a Sharp notebook for 7yrs. I'm still running a 2008 unibody 15" MacBook Pro now. It was good value then. But now I just can't stomach the current prices. Here in Australia I noticed a big surge in people buying MacBooks in 2008-2010 as the value was there.

I buy Apple products because I see the value in the total cost of ownership and the experience, not because I'm rich. 

I honestly can't see myself changing from iOS but when my old timer Mac eventually becomes totally unusable, cough, choke, it's not a certainty that I'll buy another Mac.

Have fun with your Dell, and Windows. why that’s a better options then an imac i still fail to understand, despite this familiar “Apple is greedy!” trope. Meanwhile, I get what I pay for. Good value doesn’t mean cheap. 

I have to use a Dell Windows laptop for work and am continually amazed at how much it sucks at even the most basic tasks, like going to sleep.
    edited August 2017 netmagepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 123

justme12 said:
    It is if you need to charge the phone while having it play music on a wired connection (unless you still have an older phone where you could do both at once)
    While I’ve managed to never need to do this, what’s stopping you from using one of the many adapters for just this use case?
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 80 of 123

avon b7 said:
    jdw said:

Incorrect. The first Macbook Air was a perfect example of a first generation product that defined a new category and improved in further iterations and was copied by the knockoffs. You know, like Apple does with nearly everything. 

Oh but yes, you’d expect the products to skip their natural lifecycle and just appear out of a clamshell fully formed and perfect on day 1. 
    netmagechiapscooter63tmayradarthekatmacky the mackywatto_cobra