Apple's 'iPhone 8' rumored to top out at 7.5W for wireless charging

Comments

• Reply 101 of 123
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Apple doesn’t include 29W charger with iPad Pro so this shouldn’t be surprising. Apple loves nothing more than being able to extract more $$ from consumers via accessories.
    tallest skilireland
  • Reply 102 of 123
    Soli said:
    cornchip said:
    justme12 said:
    What is so difficult with plugging in an iPhone to charge? Wireless charging is NOT important, to me at least.
    I have to agree with you. Not a killer feature to me at all. Now if it charged from a few feet that would be one thing. But we all know it won't be that. 
    That wouldn't change the facile argument that it's not difficult to plug in, and your comment contradicts his statement since inductive charging is also not difficult so there's no need to have wireless charging from "a few feet" using that logic. A reasonable person would say that each step increases convenience.
    Convenience is not everything, Apple us compelled to make their products energy efficient and more environmentally friendly (electricity generation is not environmentally friendly in the main)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 123
    Soli said:
    THIS IS WHY THIS PROPRIETARY CONNECTION NONSENSE POSES AN OVERALL THREAT TO THE INDUSTRY. APPLE HAS THE POWER TO TAKE THINGS MAINSTREAM. COULDA DONE USB C, SKIPPED. COULDA DONE STANDARD Qi, APPARENTLY SKIPPED OUT. 
    Either way though, how about that Note ? 

PS: If Apple adopts the Qi standard we could see universal inductive charging become standard. No need to have various cables for different devices. Perhaps we'll even see this become common in automobiles. Is there another standard that isn't compatible with Qi? Could/Would Apple have the device do a handshake with the charging pad to make sure it's authorized? (...)

• Reply 104 of 123
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Maybe because a larger wireless changing system would take up more room and also wireless charging is a pointless token gesture that no one really needs?

You can't use your phone whilst it's charging, it charges slower, you need a special mat that's harder to transport about and the mat is more expensive.
    I really see no upsides to wireless charging like this. Long distance charging or nothing at all.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 123
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    jdw said:
     I concur with those here who say Apple is reserving the 15W tech for the iPhone 9 so as to have something compelling for would-be buyers of the iPhone 9. ...

Nope!   Apple didn't get where it is and it won't stay there by making marketing and sales it's #1 priority.   Apple is head and shoulders above the rest by making GREAT products.   (And sometimes "great" means a product that is stable, reliable and dependable rather than being merely bleeding edge.)
     You apparently didn't read or did not fully comprehend what I wrote.  Before you praise and worship the status quo in Cupertino so highly, consider well the Apple killed off the Mac clone makers long ago. As I wrote in my previous post, if Apple were to license OS X today and bring Mac clone makers back on the scene, I assure you that the clone makers would find great success in putting that "bleeding edge" back into the Mac as well as restore "pro" functionality lost from the current MacBook "Pro" series, And they would likely restore products that Apple completely killed off like the 17 inch MacBook Pro too.  Just like they accomplished back in the 1990s, clone makers would most assuredly create a "stable and reliable" set of machines.  And they certainly would find buyers for their machines even if we all would agree that Apple's machines would be comparatively "better designed" in terms of the hardware look and feel. 

So I am I calling for the licensing of macOS and the return of corn makers? Actually, no. I think both we and Apple are best served by BETTER Macs made by Apple.  You know, Macs that actually live up to their name "pro."   And just because some of you out there worship Apple, and think Apple is always right, and are satisfied with a mediocre selection of ports, and actually love dongles and would never ever in a million years forget one at home, doesn't mean the rest of us do or the majority of us do. 

I want the return of "the power to crush the other kids."
  • Reply 106 of 123
    kitatit said:

I absolutely agree jdw. I bought a Power Computing  clone back in the day...
    ...I get what I pay for. Good value doesn’t mean cheap. 

No one here is arguing on the behalf of Redmond. No one here is defending Windoze. No Jedi is turning to the Darkside. All we are doing is discussing what needs we have and how those needs aren't completely being satisfied by Cupertino.  This discussion is especially important because many of us feel that our needs ones WERE completely satisfied by Cupertino. 

Just because some of you worship the status quo at Apple and are satisfied with hardware mediocrity doesn't mean the rest of us must be the same.  Some of us actually have reasonably high expectations for the word "pro."   We should not be chastised by our fellow Mac users for having a higher standard. And truly, all of us Mac users clearly have a higher standard in that we do not use Windows.

It's time for my fellow Mac users and friends to have some empathy for those of us whose needs are not currently met by Johnny Ive's Apple. 
  • Reply 107 of 123
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    One or two questions about induction charging of electronic devices:

1)  Is it possible for a significant enough current to get induced within the device's charging circuits when it passes close enough to a live electric cable within a residential or business?
    2)  If this is the case then can this current be significant enough to charge the battery?
    3)  If a significant enough current can be generated then is there a risk of a device being damaged by passing too close to a high voltage, high current power line, such as those for electric trains or from power stations?  And if this is indeed possible, is there some way the circuits within the device can be designed to minimise or eliminate damage caused by unintended induction?

The wireless "induction" charging will be a nice extra feature to have for convenience; the question is whether it comes at the price of an additional route and risk of a device being damaged.
  • Reply 108 of 123
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    jdw said:
    jdw said:
     I concur with those here who say Apple is reserving the 15W tech for the iPhone 9 so as to have something compelling for would-be buyers of the iPhone 9. ...

Nope!   Apple didn't get where it is and it won't stay there by making marketing and sales it's #1 priority.   Apple is head and shoulders above the rest by making GREAT products.   (And sometimes "great" means a product that is stable, reliable and dependable rather than being merely bleeding edge.)
     You apparently didn't read or did not fully comprehend what I wrote.  Before you praise and worship the status quo in Cupertino so highly, consider well the Apple killed off the Mac clone makers long ago. As I wrote in my previous post, if Apple were to license OS X today and bring Mac clone makers back on the scene, I assure you that the clone makers would find great success in putting that "bleeding edge" back into the Mac as well as restore "pro" functionality lost from the current MacBook "Pro" series, And they would likely restore products that Apple completely killed off like the 17 inch MacBook Pro too.  Just like they accomplished back in the 1990s, clone makers would most assuredly create a "stable and reliable" set of machines.  And they certainly would find buyers for their machines even if we all would agree that Apple's machines would be comparatively "better designed" in terms of the hardware look and feel. 

So I am I calling for the licensing of macOS and the return of corn makers? Actually, no. I think both we and Apple are best served by BETTER Macs made by Apple.  You know, Macs that actually live up to their name "pro."   And just because some of you out there worship Apple, and think Apple is always right, and are satisfied with a mediocre selection of ports, and actually love dongles and would never ever in a million years forget one at home, doesn't mean the rest of us do or the majority of us do. 

I want the return of "the power to crush the other kids."
    But they sell more machines than 95% of the other kids, so I don't see this as likely. 

I could never understand why people sit around crying in their beer waiting for something to happen. If you want a different machine then just swallow your fashionista ego and get a Windows box. If there are so many of you out there demanding this oven-in-an-office then club together and design your perfect Hackintosh. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 109 of 123
    I charge my phone overnight like most people so I could care less "how fast" it charges. This is a convenience feature, that I will enjoy very much.
    tallest skilSoli
  • Reply 110 of 123
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jdw said:
    kitatit said:

I absolutely agree jdw. I bought a Power Computing  clone back in the day...
    ...I get what I pay for. Good value doesn’t mean cheap. 

No one here is arguing on the behalf of Redmond. No one here is defending Windoze. No Jedi is turning to the Darkside. All we are doing is discussing what needs we have and how those needs aren't completely being satisfied by Cupertino.  This discussion is especially important because many of us feel that our needs ones WERE completely satisfied by Cupertino. 

Just because some of you worship the status quo at Apple and are satisfied with hardware mediocrity doesn't mean the rest of us must be the same.  Some of us actually have reasonably high expectations for the word "pro."   We should not be chastised by our fellow Mac users for having a higher standard. And truly, all of us Mac users clearly have a higher standard in that we do not use Windows.

It's time for my fellow Mac users and friends to have some empathy for those of us whose needs are not currently met by Johnny Ive's Apple. 
    I get your point -- but hardware is not "mediocre" simply because it's not bleeding edge...   For most there's more to it than just pushing the envelope on performance.  And, the last thing Apple needs is to put out a high performance lemon.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 111 of 123
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    jswitte01 said:
    foggyhill said:
    There is probably an engineering reason like say size of space in the smaller phone than competition and also capacity to dissipate heat. Cause any wave not converted into power becomes heat.

Could it also be because of health regulation reasons?  Could it be that if Apple had wanted to push the charging power to say 15W, it would require more/longer testing for FDA/EU/etc agencies?  I don't know if there actually are dangers regarding inductive/other-wireless charging (too much effort to wade through all the maybe-BS/actual-BS on the i-net), but I know there is concern.

The typical use-case for a lot (most?) users will just be to put the phone on the pad at night on while at the office - for at least a few hours/tens of minutes at a time.  So it isn't really necessary to have super-fast charging, except for the "street-cred": "And one more thing we're sure you'll just LOVE!  If you're music ever craps out on you while you're lying in your bed listening to Death Metal and destroying your hearing with your brand-new AirPods?  You can charge your iPhone with only *5 minutes* on your brand-new Apple iPhone(**)/Apple Watch(***)/AirPod-Case(****) charging station!  Yours for the bargain price of only $88.49.

(*) Available in about 4-6 months.  (**) Only works with iPhone 8++. (***) Works best with Apple Watch 3.0, available 3 months after our next event. (****) Only AirPods case 2.0.
    15W is what 130% higher than what is supported so far by the circuitry and heat dissipation requirements could be closer to double current. That seems a big leap for a year on year change on top of the requirements for the induction circuits. Sounds more like the engineers not biting off more then they chew than marketing team. 
  • Reply 112 of 123
    jdw said:

And yet Apple will have a bleeding edge product once ARKit is released for the masses in a couple weeks. And the masses it will be, dang near a billion users...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 113 of 123
    I think everyone is looking past the obvious. Regardless of power output the fact that Apple is deviating from the industry standard and developing what at this point appears to be yet another proprietary charger is unsettling..

This is simply a ploy to make money.

Personally I think this is all BS, and I think I'm gonna grab that Note 8.
    Don't let the door hit your backside on the way out...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 123
    I'd much rather wait a couple hours for my phone to charge than run the risk of a "fast charge" burning my house down. Samsung learned that the hard way.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 115 of 123
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    I'd much rather wait a couple hours for my phone to charge than run the risk of a "fast charge" burning my house down. Samsung learned that the hard way.
    Fast charging has been around for a few years now. The risk of something terrible happening is probably the same as with other slower charging batteries provided the battery comes from a reputable source.

Samsung cut corners. Not exactly a new crime. It just backfired gigantically. Then you have genuine manufacturing defects (which are also sometimes the result of cutting corners).

The battery, fast charging or not, shouldn't be cause for concern and Samsung's batteries could arguably be some of the most checked for safety issues at this point in time.
  • Reply 116 of 123
    Rayz2016 said:
    But they [Apple] sell more machines than 95% of the other kids, so I don't see this as likely. 
    Apple sells more MACS than 95% of the other kids (in the Windoze) world?  I think not.  I've been speaking about Macs (computers), not iOS devices.  Sheesh.  

It's time to support worshipping everything that comes out of Johnny Ive's minimalism handbook even when we-the-Mac-faithful deem it rather "crummy" as a result.  (Not "crummy" because Ive's machines are not "bleeding edge" but because some like the MBP lack important hardware features that many of us have come to rely on as built-in features.)  Only by sending feedback to Apple that their current designs are lacking can we ever hope to once again "crush the other kids."

Keep in mind that Ive's greatness in the past was tied to Steve Job's oversight of his work.  That oversight with regard to the MacBook Pro is no longer available, and it shows.  I'm pleased to see that some of you are satisfied with that outrageous minimalism.  But please don't cast fireballs at those of us in the Mac camp who aren't overjoyed with you.  Our gripes are legitimate and plenteous.

As to the iPhone 8, this thing has been hyped so badly it's probably going to be somewhat of a let-down when released, regardless of wireless charging speed.  It is nice to hear that wireless charging is possible a feature, but the design aesthetic goes against what we typically see from Apple.  It just doesn't look appealing to my eyes, assuming the stolen case designs we see are accurate.  Not that I really care too much.  I'm more of a Mac guy than iOS, despite the fact I own an iPhone 7 and an iPad Pro and numerous other iOS devices and iPods.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 117 of 123
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    jdw said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    But they [Apple] sell more machines than 95% of the other kids, so I don't see this as likely. 
    Apple sells more MACS than 95% of the other kids (in the Windoze) world?  I think not.  I've been speaking about Macs (computers), not iOS devices.  Sheesh.  

It's time to support worshipping everything that comes out of Johnny Ive's minimalism handbook even when we-the-Mac-faithful deem it rather "crummy" as a result.  (Not "crummy" because Ive's machines are not "bleeding edge" but because some like the MBP lack important hardware features that many of us have come to rely on as built-in features.)  Only by sending feedback to Apple that their current designs are lacking can we ever hope to once again "crush the other kids."

Keep in mind that Ive's greatness in the past was tied to Steve Job's oversight of his work.  That oversight with regard to the MacBook Pro is no longer available, and it shows.  I'm pleased to see that some of you are satisfied with that outrageous minimalism.  But please don't cast fireballs at those of us in the Mac camp who aren't overjoyed with you.  Our gripes are legitimate and plenteous.

As to the iPhone 8, this thing has been hyped so badly it's probably going to be somewhat of a let-down when released, regardless of wireless charging speed.  It is nice to hear that wireless charging is possible a feature, but the design aesthetic goes against what we typically see from Apple.  It just doesn't look appealing to my eyes, assuming the stolen case designs we see are accurate.  Not that I really care too much.  I'm more of a Mac guy than iOS, despite the fact I own an iPhone 7 and an iPad Pro and numerous other iOS devices and iPods.
    To clear this up, I took Rayz's comment as, Apple sells more MACs than most other PC makers sell PCs.  And that means that there are very few PC makers (HP, Dell, maybe one or two others) that individually sell more PCs than Apple sells MACs.  All the rest of the PC makers each sell fewer PCs than Apple sells MACs.  
  • Reply 118 of 123
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    dewme said:
    I very much enjoy the wireless charging experience of the Apple Watch. Having a similar ease-of-use for the iPhone would be awesome for most of us, but particularly for folks who have limited manual dexterity, poor eyesight, and arm/hand/finger motor skills challenges. The Lightning connector is a big improvement on the 30-pin and micro USB but it still requires exacting dexterity and gentle handling to avoid damaging the delicate contacts on the cable connector and in the phone. It's also very prone to dust and lint build-up, especially when you carry it in a pants pocket. Imagine what it must be like for a person with hand tremors to plug a charging cable into a phone, much less clean the lint build-up out of the charging/docking port on the phone. Wireless charging is a nicety for some but a necessity for others.

Very good point. It's easy to forget that not everyone has the same needs!

Just for clarity, there is nothing delicate about the lightning connector, especially the cord end. It does get clogged with lint from time to time.
  • Reply 119 of 123
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 755member
    I think everyone is looking past the obvious. Regardless of power output the fact that Apple is deviating from the industry standard and developing what at this point appears to be yet another proprietary charger is unsettling..

This is simply a ploy to make money. Apple customers won't be able to pick up a Qi pad for the low; probably won't be able to even use standard Qi pads. Instead apple users will likely pay a premium, since Apple will likely charge each manufacturer a licensing fee just to use their special "chip".

Personally I think this is all BS, and I think I'm gonna grab that Note 8.
    Seems to me like you want to buy a cheaper phone and are using this nonsensical rant to justify it.

The other explanation is that you're that upset at Apple trying to make money (apparently the only corporation in the universe that wants to do so) that you're going over to a phone maker that tried to cut corners to such an extent (Samsung, of course, has no interest in making money) that it put people's lives in danger.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 120 of 123
    Meh... 

iPhone ships with 5v at 1000 mA (5 Watts)
    iPad Mini ships with 5.1v at 2100 mA (10 Watts)
    iPad Pro ships with 5.2v at 2400 mA (12 Watts)
    MacBook 12" Retina ships with 14.5v at 2000 mA (29 Watts) or 5.2v at 2400 mA (12 Watts) USB-C
    You can use the iPad Pro 12 Watt charger to charge an iPhone
    You can use the 29Watt USB-C w/USB-C to Lightning Cable to quick charge an iPad Pro 12.9"
    You can use an iPad 2.1 amp car charger to quick charge your iPhone while using GPS Nav

So what, the inductive charger will only do 7.5 Watts it will be faster than the 5 Watt charger and really, the inductive charge is meant for convenience like having on your night stand while you sleep.  Plug in a lightning cable and connect to an iPad charger to quick charge on the go. Probably be an iPhone and Watch charging pad option anyway.  

I dunno, I find it difficult to drop $999 on base iPhone 8 with limited availability just so you can have bragging rights for all of 3-6 months.  My 6S is perfectly fine.  Work will probably buy me one anyway because my customers will be clamoring for it and I'll need hands on to support it properly.