Lightning-connected Insta360 One camera promises 24MP stills, 360-degree 4K video

Posted:
in General Discussion
Camera and accessory maker Insta360 has debuted the One, a 4K 360-degree camera with "selfie-stick" eradication built into software for the device.

The Insta360 One shoots 360-degree video at resolutions of 3840 x 1920 at 30fps, or 2560 x 1280 at 60fps. Stills are captured at 24 MP (2912 x 3456) resolution.

The device can be operated as a standalone camera, be remotely controlled with Bluetooth, or directly controlled by a tethered phone through Lightning or microUSB.

After a video is captured, and the camera connected to an iPhone, the FreeCapture software interfaces with gyroscope data to use the iPhone display as a viewfinder. FreeCapture also allows users to shift from standard perspectives to 360-degree camera effects, such as "tiny planet" and "rabbit hole" effects.

Using only a selfie stick or a string attachment, creators can capture up to 120 frames per second interpolated in software to 240 FPS slow-motion shots. In the action shots, the One "circles" the user, always keeping them center-frame, while the accessory used to spin the camera is concealed digitally.

The camera is attached to selfie sticks or other apparatuses with standard 1/4-inch 20 thread pitch screws. Insta360 claims that the standard mount allows for easy installation on helmets, drones, cars, tripods, and a wide range of other tools and accessories.

The US retail price of an Insta360 One including a camera, a two-in-one case and camera stand, a MicroSD card, a Micro-USB cable, a lens cloth, and a string attachment to achieve the bullet-time effect is $299. A selfie-stick, Bluetooth remote control, and IP68 waterproof housing are sold separately.

The iPhone version is available for order now with shipments starting in September, and the Android version is shipping shortly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I find these types of camera cool and at the same time I have no idea what I would use them for.  "Check out the 360 video of me taking the baby for a walk!" sounds like a tough sell.  I have never used a wing suit and I don't do motocross (although I live pretty close to a fairly well known track).  Most of my boating is on a pontoon boat, which tends not to be particularly exciting.  For now I think I'll spend my money elsewhere.
    anomepeterhart
  • Reply 2 of 4
    @ihatescreennames - the primary audience is sports / activity enthusiasts, just like the GoPro.  Selfie sticks are banned at most amusement parks and some outdoor venues for safety reasons.  The camera would still work as a handheld attachment to the iPhone, of course.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I find these types of camera cool and at the same time I have no idea what I would use them for.  "Check out the 360 video of me taking the baby for a walk!" sounds like a tough sell.  I have never used a wing suit and I don't do motocross (although I live pretty close to a fairly well known track).  Most of my boating is on a pontoon boat, which tends not to be particularly exciting.  For now I think I'll spend my money elsewhere.
    I feel pretty much the same way. I'm not a great photographer, I don't take a lot of pictures, and the ones I do aren't that good, but I appreciate the technology in something like this. I might be convinced to buy one of these, but I don't think I can really justify the expense.
    peterhart
  • Reply 4 of 4
    @ihatescreennames - the primary audience is sports / activity enthusiasts, just like the GoPro.
    It's hard to tell from their video.  Here are a few things I saw in the video that aren't really sports/activity related (although, "activity" can mean many things, I'm thinking you mean it as in "I'm doing something physical", like hiking):

Riding in a car
    Drinking
    Hanging out on a roof
    Playing ping-pong
    Walking in the ocean
    At a concert
    In fireworks

And several of those are in the first 30 seconds.  Most of those I listed can be accomplished by people who don't think of themselves as sports/activity enthusiasts.