Google tries to fight wide ARKit compatibility with its own augmented reality initiative A...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:
    Great news for AR fans, this will definitely help with mainstream adoption.

It should still be noted that neither ARKit or ARCore are nearly as powerful as Tango. The dedicated hardware of Tango is a double edged sword, it allows for a much better AR experience, but it also hinders adoption.

Upcoming mainstream technologies, such as Qualcomm's next-gen Spectra ISP camera module, will allow for depth sensing, and ultimately a better AR experience. 

Next generation. Dedicated hardware.

Those are caveats to the why of these companies now playing catchup to Apple.
    Next generation, as in, mainstream Snapdragon processors in 2018.

Apple doesn't have this, not sure how anyone would be playing catchup.
    In this post and a couple of others below it you mention that Apple doesn't currently have this hardware and compare it to a Snapdragon processor that isn't out yet.  That seems odd to me.  Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say, "Apples current A series processors don't have this and neither do Qualcomm's current Snapdragon processors.  Qualcomm has said they will in 2018. I guess we'll have to see what Apple's next A series processor can do, potentially as early as next month."?
    supadav03jony0muthuk_vanalingamglynhwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 42 of 53
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:
    EngDev said:
    Next generation, as in, mainstream Snapdragon processors in 2018.

Apple doesn't have this, not sure how anyone would be playing catchup.

"Apple doesn't have this." So you know for sure what the A11 will contain? Or the A12 next year? Qualcomm and Samsung are so far behind Apple for processor designs it's not even funny anymore.

They'll also be playing catchup to Apple in terms of developer support and device support. In a mere two months since ARKit was announced more has happened than Tango has managed to do in 3 years. Tango is a massive failure.
    "doesn't have" =! "will not have", we don't know what the A11 will have, but we do know what Qualcomm's upcoming camera module will have. I'm not going to pretend to know, but we do know that Apple currently does not have this.

I'm sure they'll have to catch up in terms of software, which wasn't what I had been talking about.

Tango was never going to get mainstream adoption with its hardware requirements and limited devices, but it certainly does AR much better than ARKit/ARCore. Like I said, a double edged sword.

Apple already has a robust sensor for depth of field from Primesense, a company that is now part of Apple. Not sure what advantage Qualomm's sensor has over Apple's when it arrives early next year.

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part.
    No idea if it will have any advantage.

There isn't wishful thinking on a product that's been announced and is known.
    That has been announced and not known. 

Did you have it in your hand? Did you play with in? Did you tested it in depth? Please do share.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    peterhart said:

This vs. that. LOLOLOLOL. I'm blown away by those trees and mountains, Google. :neutral: 

Image result for apple arkit
    Geez... It's almost as if Google doesn't even understand the current state-of-the-art in AR, which is ARKit.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 53
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,007member
    Apple was right again. Cook said the future was AR AND NOT VR. And time has proven him right. Oculus, etc. are struggling to gain traction, where AR looks to be an obvious hit with many life enhancing uses. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    Apple was right again. Cook said the future was AR AND NOT VR. And time has proven him right. Oculus, etc. are struggling to gain traction, where AR looks to be an obvious hit with many life enhancing uses. 
    Apple and others are clearly investing in AR but I still fail to see how AR is "the future." It seems like it's just one of many other features that will be added to the experience and I have yet to see anything groundbreaking. So far it seems no matter important to the future of computing than filters on Snapchat that augment reality. Do you really thing the below image is a "life enhancing use"?

edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 53
    croprcropr Posts: 1,140member
    Soli said:
    Can you spot the difference?

ARCore:

ARKit:

Luckily this disgusting looking burger is virtual,  I would not want to eat it.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,959member
    Soli said:
    I'm expecting Apple's in-house designed SoCs, especially with the move to their in-house designed GPUs, will lead to much better efficiency and performance per Watt for Apple's AR experience. To me, this seems like a very difficult synergy of HW and SW for other vendors to compete against.
    That will not stop those vendors from making new products. Look at today's Android.
    Apple offers dual camera setup on iPhone7 Plus, with seamless integration and depth map based DoF realtime effect for portray mode.
    Chinese knockoffs offer same two camera setup, but with bad integration, DoF is not realtime, and is applied later...in a crappy way.
    This is incorrect.

Apple has just one phone with dual camera functionality. It was not the first phone to offer such functionality and when it released that one phone, portrait mode wasn't even ready. It was in beta.

What Apple calls portrait mode can be achieved in different ways. The different implementations each have their pros and contras. If you want to say a company like Huawei who partnered with Leica and released a dual camera before Apple, and now has an entire range of dual camera phones, is in someway knocking Apple off, you are wrong.

2.09.17 will see the probable unveiling of the Kirin 970. There are rumours of it having a dedicated AI processor or a core reserved for that, the ISP will surely be much improved and we have already seen an official image of its Mate 10 dual camera (release date 16.10.17). The combination of these rumoured and real features shows that Huawei has a lot of confidence in its photographic prowess. Whatever it is though, it will not be a knock-off.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 48 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,565member
    Soli said:
    Apple and others are clearly investing in AR but I still fail to see how AR is "the future." It seems like it's just one of many other features that will be added to the experience and I have yet to see anything groundbreaking. So far it seems no matter important to the future of computing than filters on Snapchat that augment reality. Do you really thing the below image is a "life enhancing use"?

It looks like even the initial wave of iOS AR apps will tilt towards playtime. I'll be surprised if games rather than utility isn't where the money and thus the focus will be. 
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/29/a-preview-of-the-first-wave-of-ar-apps-coming-to-iphones/?ncid=rss

The article is worth reading just for a clearer explanation of how Apple's AR apps will need "initializing". 
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 49 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:

It looks like even the initial wave of iOS AR apps will tilt towards playtime. I'll be surprised if games rather than utility isn't where the money and thus the focus will be. 
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/29/a-preview-of-the-first-wave-of-ar-apps-coming-to-iphones/?ncid=rss

The article is worth reading just for a clearer explanation of how Apple's AR apps will need "initializing". 
    I agree with you, but even then, more complex apps than entertainment and simple games will require more time, so I don't expect much groundbreaking stuff for awhile. For the near term, entertainment and game apps let developers get a bit of return while they are mastering ARKit. 

As Tango and ARKit use quite a bit of the same IP, Apple having purchased the company that provides the primary IP for both, I would expect that there will be a lot of cross platform apps coming out over the next year. Still, an initial advantage for Apple in the large base of devices at the starting gate.

As I have stated before, not sure where this leaves MS and Hololens, which has almost no mobile footprint at all, but is reputed to be the AR technological leader.

EDIT:

Interesting little tidbit that I just saw; MS and Amazon have agreements for support of both Cortana and Alexa across their platforms.

edited August 2017
  • Reply 50 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    Soli said:

I expect that there are a great many people in the world more talented, more creative and with bigger imaginations than I who will embrace AR's future, and I certainly expect some brilliant apps to arrive in the near future; I've seen hints of it already.

Either way, AR is going to drive a lot of hardware upgrades within the two smartphone platforms.
    edited August 2017
  • Reply 51 of 53
    HBW1 said:
    sog35 said:
    Google = Losers

Just back to mining data and selling ads you imbeciles.

That is what they are good at. ONLY.
    That and taking advantage of an entire generation of people who place little or no value on their own privacy.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,565member
    edit
    edited August 2017