Google tries to fight wide ARKit compatibility with its own augmented reality initiative A...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    EngDevEngDev Posts: 76member
    Soli said:
    EngDev said:
    I'm assuming you're both just joking, but just in case, those are some simple demo models Google developers made. You can import more photo-realistic models into ARCore.
    I'm not joking, and I have no doubt that their demos are the limit of what is possible, but I do wonder at what expense to battery life would it cost Android to run the same AR imagery of a spinning photo-relastic burger compared to iOS+A11 HW.
    I assume you meant to say, "I'm joking, and I have no doubt that their demos are not the limit of what is possible" ?

It's a static burger that has no interactions with the environment. I don't see how that would be very demanding.

• Reply 22 of 53
    @mike ;

Thx for the article and the comparison of ARKit and ARCore.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 53
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    EngDev said:
    EngDev said:
    Next generation, as in, mainstream Snapdragon processors in 2018.

Apple doesn't have this, not sure how anyone would be playing catchup.

"Apple doesn't have this." So you know for sure what the A11 will contain? Or the A12 next year? Qualcomm and Samsung are so far behind Apple for processor designs it's not even funny anymore.

They'll also be playing catchup to Apple in terms of developer support and device support. In a mere two months since ARKit was announced more has happened than Tango has managed to do in 3 years. Tango is a massive failure.
    "doesn't have" =! "will not have", we don't know what the A11 will have, but we do know what Qualcomm's upcoming camera module will have. I'm not going to pretend to know, but we do know that Apple currently does not have this.

I'm sure they'll have to catch up in terms of software, which wasn't what I had been talking about.

Tango was never going to get mainstream adoption with its hardware requirements and limited devices, but it certainly does AR much better than ARKit/ARCore. Like I said, a double edged sword.

Apple already has a robust sensor for depth of field from Primesense, a company that is now part of Apple. Not sure what advantage Qualomm's sensor has over Apple's when it arrives early next year.

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part.
    edited August 2017 ericthehalfbeepscooter63watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Soli said:
    I'm expecting Apple's in-house designed SoCs, especially with the move to their in-house designed GPUs, will lead to much better efficiency and performance per Watt for Apple's AR experience. To me, this seems like a very difficult synergy of HW and SW for other vendors to compete against.
    That will not stop those vendors from making new products. Look at today's Android.
    Apple offers dual camera setup on iPhone7 Plus, with seamless integration and depth map based DoF realtime effect for portray mode.
    Chinese knockoffs offer same two camera setup, but with bad integration, DoF is not realtime, and is applied later...in a crappy way.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 53
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:
    Great news for AR fans, this will definitely help with mainstream adoption.

It should still be noted that neither ARKit or ARCore are nearly as powerful as Tango. The dedicated hardware of Tango is a double edged sword, it allows for a much better AR experience, but it also hinders adoption.

Upcoming mainstream technologies, such as Qualcomm's next-gen Spectra ISP camera module, will allow for depth sensing, and ultimately a better AR experience. 

Next generation. Dedicated hardware.

Those are caveats to the why of these companies now playing catchup to Apple.

"Apple doesn't have this, not sure how anyone would be playing catchup."

I don't believe you nor I know whether Apple has this -- or something much better -- ready to deliver in the next few weeks.

An interesting read of wikipedia's

List of mergers and acquisitions by Apple

It shows that Apple has acquired a lot of tech relating to:
    • facial recognition
    • photography
    • image recognition
    • semiconductors
    • 3D mapping
    • cameras
    • motion capture
    • eye tracking
    • AI
    • AR
    • ML

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Apple

While the Qualcomm vid is impressive, I suspect that Apple will have a superior hardware/software offering ready to go when the time is appropriate.

jony0watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 53
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:

It should still be noted that neither ARKit or ARCore are nearly as powerful as Tango. The dedicated hardware of Tango is a double edged sword, it allows for a much better AR experience, but it also hinders adoption.

Upcoming mainstream technologies, such as Qualcomm's next-gen Spectra ISP camera module, will allow for depth sensing, and ultimately a better AR experience. 

I don't believe you nor I know whether Apple has this -- or something much better -- ready to deliver in the next few weeks.

• facial recognition
    • photography
    • image recognition
    • semiconductors
    • 3D mapping
    • cameras
    • motion capture
    • eye tracking
    • AI
    • AR
    • ML

While the Qualcomm vid is impressive, I suspect that Apple will have a superior hardware/software offering ready to go when the time is appropriate.

You should have read my other reply. I don't know what Apple will have, I'm not pretending to know. What we do know is Apple doesn't have this type of depth sensing technology currently on the market. Will it come in the A11? A11X? etc. No idea, but we do know Qualcomm will have this early next year.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 53
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:
    EngDev said:

"Apple doesn't have this." So you know for sure what the A11 will contain? Or the A12 next year? Qualcomm and Samsung are so far behind Apple for processor designs it's not even funny anymore.

They'll also be playing catchup to Apple in terms of developer support and device support. In a mere two months since ARKit was announced more has happened than Tango has managed to do in 3 years. Tango is a massive failure.
    "doesn't have" =! "will not have", we don't know what the A11 will have, but we do know what Qualcomm's upcoming camera module will have. I'm not going to pretend to know, but we do know that Apple currently does not have this.

I'm sure they'll have to catch up in terms of software, which wasn't what I had been talking about.

Tango was never going to get mainstream adoption with its hardware requirements and limited devices, but it certainly does AR much better than ARKit/ARCore. Like I said, a double edged sword.

Apple already has a robust sensor for depth of field from Primesense, a company that is now part of Apple. Not sure what advantage Qualomm's sensor has over Apple's when it arrives early next year.

Sounds like wishful thinking on your part.
    No idea if it will have any advantage.

There isn't wishful thinking on a product that's been announced and is known.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 53
    EngDev said:
    Soli said:
    EngDev said:
    I'm assuming you're both just joking, but just in case, those are some simple demo models Google developers made. You can import more photo-realistic models into ARCore.
    I'm not joking, and I have no doubt that their demos are the limit of what is possible, but I do wonder at what expense to battery life would it cost Android to run the same AR imagery of a spinning photo-relastic burger compared to iOS+A11 HW.
    I assume you meant to say, "I'm joking, and I have no doubt that their demos are not the limit of what is possible" ?

It's a static burger that has no interactions with the environment. I don't see how that would be very demanding.

Yea... except that AR photo-realistic demo was created from scratch in 85 days or less.

In the same amount of time (or more) Google was able to create an AR demo of cartoon images of a house, a mountain, a Droid, an some [Stanford Mascot] trees.

You pick'em!
    tmayjbdragonpscooter63jony0watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    @mike ;

You're welcome. I'm anxiously awaiting the breathless headlines elsewhere. Already seen a few, including a few that say that ARKit isn't yet available and OH WOW ARCORE IS.
    watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 30 of 53
    EngDev said:
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:

• facial recognition
    • photography
    • image recognition
    • semiconductors
    • 3D mapping
    • cameras
    • motion capture
    • eye tracking
    • AI
    • AR
    • ML

You should have read my other reply. I don't know what Apple will have, I'm not pretending to know. What we do know is Apple doesn't have this type of depth sensing technology currently on the market. Will it come in the A11? A11X? etc. No idea, but we do know Qualcomm will have this early next year.
    You don't really understand any of this do you?

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/03/31/barclays-iphone-8-to-sport-3d-sensors-on-both-front-and-back/

You might want to at least have some information on what Apple is likely to be using for sensors in the iPhone 8 being announced in two weeks.

Here’s an excerpt from the research note:

"The key to Apple’s 3D sensing ambitions will, in our view, be two structured light cameras, one each on the front and back. This shift represents a change from our earlier assumption of a structured light camera on the front and advanced depth mapping Time-of-Flight sensor on the rear.

We now think the 3D sensing for facial recognition (front) and augmented reality (rear) will be conducted via two custom modules, with AMS/Heptagon providing significant content on the transmit side and STMicro on the receive side."

I don't know what's going to be the 3D sensors in the iPhone 8, and you certainly don't either, but the note surely implies that Apple is providing a similar solution to Qualcomm and certainly earlier. 

Why don't you wait until after the iPhone 8 is released to make your pronouncements about Qualcomm?

Heres' another link comparing time of flight with structured light sensors;

https://9to5mac.com/2017/03/06/iphone-8-3d-sensor-augmented-reality/

edited August 2017 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53

@mike ;

You're welcome. I'm anxiously awaiting the breathless headlines elsewhere. Already seen a few, including a few that say that ARKit isn't yet available and OH WOW ARCORE IS.
    Ha!  Didn't affect the stock price, tho!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 53
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:

• facial recognition
    • photography
    • image recognition
    • semiconductors
    • 3D mapping
    • cameras
    • motion capture
    • eye tracking
    • AI
    • AR
    • ML

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/03/31/barclays-iphone-8-to-sport-3d-sensors-on-both-front-and-back/

You might want to at least have some information on what Apple is likely to be using for sensors in the iPhone 8 being announced in two weeks.

"The key to Apple’s 3D sensing ambitions will, in our view, be two structured light cameras, one each on the front and back. This shift represents a change from our earlier assumption of a structured light camera on the front and advanced depth mapping Time-of-Flight sensor on the rear.

We now think the 3D sensing for facial recognition (front) and augmented reality (rear) will be conducted via two custom modules, with AMS/Heptagon providing significant content on the transmit side and STMicro on the receive side."

I don't know what's going to be the 3D sensors in the iPhone 8, and you certainly don't either, but the note surely implies that Apple is providing a similar solution to Qualcomm and certainly earlier. 

Why don't you wait until after the iPhone 8 is released to make your pronouncements about Qualcomm?

I'm tempted to copy and paste the post you quoted just so you'd read it again.

The point being (going back to my original reply), Apple doesn't currently have this technology on the market. Rumors, speculation, leaked notes, etc. are not going to change that. While I want to see Apple announce this for the iPhone 8, until something is official, I'm not going to say others are trying to catch up to them, at least not in terms of hardware features.  Like I said, software is a different story. ARCore, for that reason is a, 'wait and see'.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 53

EngDev said:
    Soli said:
    EngDev said:

Yea... except that AR photo-realistic demo was created from scratch in 85 days or less.

In the same amount of time (or more) Google was able to create an AR demo of cartoon images of a house, a mountain, a Droid, an some [Stanford Mascot] trees.

You pick'em!
    The cartoon images are designed to show animated responses to lighting, people and other objects. It's a tech demo of features, not a static photo-textured burger. ARCore has Android Studio, Unity or Unreal development environments for developers to create burgers with.

EDIT:

Or you can just simply load the same 3D burger into ARCore: https://sketchfab.com/models/5a1e237c7fa44d73894042a7437314c9

EDIT 2:

Turns out that an app containing Kabaq food models was already released last year. Here it is on an Android phone:

edited August 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 53
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Oh, oh, oh, me too, meeee toooo! Google = the new Microsoft
    anton zuykovwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 35 of 53
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sog35 said:
    Google = Losers

Just back to mining data and selling ads you imbeciles.

More Google copying Apple.  Here I thought Google at least wouldn't copy, yet here they are yet again.

Oh well,....
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 36 of 53
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:

• facial recognition
    • photography
    • image recognition
    • semiconductors
    • 3D mapping
    • cameras
    • motion capture
    • eye tracking
    • AI
    • AR
    • ML

I'm tempted to copy and paste the post you quoted just so you'd read it again.

The point being (going back to my original reply), Apple doesn't currently have this technology on the market. Rumors, speculation, leaked notes, etc. are not going to change that. While I want to see Apple announce this for the iPhone 8, until something is official, I'm not going to say others are trying to catch up to them, at least not in terms of hardware features.  Like I said, software is a different story. ARCore, for that reason is a, 'wait and see'.
    Cool, I'm more than happy to accept your analysis when the iPhone 8 is released. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 53
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    EngDev said:

Well, Tango is more powerful than the Iphone 7, but much bigger and power hungry and etc.... Oh, and no one has it.

That's something conveniently forgotten.

The Iphone 8 and the 7s will likely have dedicated hw to AR and by the time Google and Samsung have a response, hundreds of millions will have been sold.

Considering Apple sells more high end phone than everyone together easily, Google will be far far behind by year two.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Once more, Apple shows how to do things the right way. Deliver the best user experience even with the existing hardware.
    Years ago, Google bet on future hardware, but that future is still too far away.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 53
    EngDev said:
    EngDev said:

We "know", we know crapload of marketing vaporware and nothing else.
    Based on this kind of marketing spiel, Google and Microsoft would be 3-4 Trillion dollar companies already.
    Until its shipped into a phone its the crap that comes out of all those tech companies every single day.
    Yet, you rah rah rah rah rah. You don't know but you push like hell for this tech which is not that impressive btw.

As for being... Much betfer. IT is BARELY better with much better hardware
    because Apple seemingly has much better software capability.

Saying it is much better is useless yet you repeat it. Its no double edge sword. There is no sword, at least none that can be used in this situation... It is basically inapplicable to a phone the size of the Iphone.

Its like saying a desktop being better than a phone is a double edge sword... Being a desktop is sure a hindrance to its adoption as a phone...

Apple could have produced something like that years ago if they were fan of blowing steam up their own ass like Google.
    edited August 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 53
    EngDev said:
    EngDev said:
    tmay said:
    EngDev said:

• facial recognition
    • photography
    • image recognition
    • semiconductors
    • 3D mapping
    • cameras
    • motion capture
    • eye tracking
    • AI
    • AR
    • ML

BS, you have a fracking Qualcom sales brochure and its not a god damn phone for a long time after that. That's it.
    That's what this video and others are equal too.

edited August 2017 glynhwatto_cobra