Latest Apple Park drone video shows completed Steve Jobs Theater ahead of Sept. 12 event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Does he have permission to fly over Apple Campus? 

Sorry, had to bring it up since nobody else has. 
  • Reply 22 of 53

fred1 said:
    Love the plan and section view also. Thanks. 

So how do trucks get out of the inner landscaped area now? Drive through the cafeteria? (Take the apart and carry out???)
    There's a tunnel not shown in this particular video. Look in the lower right of this aerial shot. 

edited September 2017 gregoriusm
  • Reply 23 of 53
    OK, where are the elevators for this thing.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Amazing!

Now I want to see Samsung try to copy this!
    Each company designs its facilities according to its needs, and Apple's design for Apple Park is nowhere near adequate for Samsung's needs.
    Case in point: Samsung would need a large subterranean bunker (let's call it 'the pocket') in which to store the Korean judiciary. All the meeting rooms would also need extraordinary levels soundproofing and palm grease dispensers set into the tables. The facility would also need storage for keeping huge amounts of cash onsite for … well … contingencies, oh … and a printer dedicated to rolling out pardons on a yearly basis. 
    edited September 2017 pscooter63radarthekat
  • Reply 25 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JinTech said:
    How I see it is that guests will arrive in the lobby, gather for an hour or so before the event starts, and then ten or so minutes till the event they will head downstairs. Once the event starts, little Apple elves will come up in the lobby and setup display units for the guests to see once the event is over. Apple is a magical company, and they will do nothing short of impress everyone. This event is going to be one of the biggest in Apple history, mark my words.
    My only issue with your statement is the lack of bathrooms above ground near the lobby. This means they will have to travel to some other part of the park to use facilities or they will allow people to downstairs to the (empty?) exhibit space where they can get access to the bathrooms without getting into the auditorium area.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    There are four of them listed on the one image I posted. Two look like large service elevators backstage behind the stage, and two look like they may be glass cylinders located in the lobby, like we've seen for some Apple Stores. There's also an extra exit that will get you to street level from the exhibit floor and at least 4 additional stairwells, not including the staircases inside the lobby.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    tyler82 said:
    The air quality in California is shit
    It's not just California that's having wildfires, it's the entire West Coast. We had lots of rain this last season, including in California, creating a lot of new fuel. Lightning strikes and tossed cigarettes don't help the situation. Neither does a long dry spell in Washington where we haven't had any rain in three months. The following photograph is not how the sun should look in WA. 

Soli
  • Reply 28 of 53
    rob53 said:
    tyler82 said:
    It's not just California that's having wildfires, it's the entire West Coast. We had lots of rain this last season, including in California, creating a lot of new fuel. Lightning strikes and tossed cigarettes don't help the situation. Neither does a long dry spell in Washington where we haven't had any rain in three months. The following photograph is not how the sun should look in WA. 

[image]
    It's a crazy year, and, as you mention, I don't think people understand that heavy rains in one season will usually lead to heavy fires in another because of al the extra growth that occurs.

edited September 2017 rob53
  • Reply 29 of 53
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Didn't Apple want the drones to stop flying over Apple's UFO and surrounding buildings? Yet it's still going on.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Soli said:
    There are four of them listed on the one image I posted. Two look like large service elevators backstage behind the stage, and two look like they may be glass cylinders located in the lobby, like we've seen for some Apple Stores. There's also an extra exit that will get you to street level from the exhibit floor and at least 4 additional stairwells, not including the staircases inside the lobby.
    ahhhh - I saw but didn't see the circular elevators next to the main stairs - they looked like support beams at first glance.   I assumed the ones near the stage were for freight, etc.   Was also thrown by the on-site photos, where you can't spot any mechanical for these glass elevators (hydrolic with no upper mechanical?  What about a track for the elevator itself?   hmmmm)

Thanks

EDIT:   AI has since added an article citing 'special' rotating elevators...   http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/06/apple-parks-steve-jobs-theater-includes-rotating-elevators-retracting-demo-room-wall ;
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 31 of 53
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:
    tyler82 said:

[image]
    It's a crazy year, and, as you mention, I don't think people understand that heavy rains in one season will usually lead to heavy fires in another because of al the extra growth that occurs.

The rest of the country is getting hammered by hurricanes and other crazy weather. Harvey was bad and Irma looks to be worse. At least with smoke in the air, you can still get around. People in Texas and the other states hit by Harvey are in much worse condition. For those who ask why there aren't any forest fires in Nevada , Utah, Wyoming and to the south, it's because they're still in a drought and don't have much to burn. 

Sorry for the off topic posts but complaining about the current air quality in CA is nothing compared to other events.
    Soli
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Soli said:
    ahhhh - I saw but didn't see the circular elevators next to the main stairs - they looked like support beams at first glance.   I assumed the ones near the stage were for freight, etc.   Was also thrown by the on-site photos, where you can't spot any mechanical for these glass elevators (hydrolic with no upper mechanical?  What about a track for the elevator itself?   hmmmm)

Thanks
    Apple have been using glass elevators with a single mechanism to raise and lower patrons for many years.

The new aspect of this new elevator is that it rotates. This makes me wonder if they're using the hydraulic mechanism for lift and then a separate, rotational platform that will be timed to meet their corresponding threshold on each floor -or- if they will use a screw mechanism which will mean that no complex SW or other mechanics required as the screw will always be arrive at the same place every time.

rob53 said:
    Soli said:
    rob53 said:
    tyler82 said:

[image]

[image]
    The rest of the country is getting hammered by hurricanes and other crazy weather. Harvey was bad and Irma looks to be worse. At least with smoke in the air, you can still get around. People in Texas and the other states hit by Harvey are in much worse condition. For those who ask why there aren't any forest fires in Nevada , Utah, Wyoming and to the south, it's because they're still in a drought and don't have much to burn. 

Sorry for the off topic posts but complaining about the current air quality in CA is nothing compared to other events.
    1) It's only a minor segue, and it's based on initial drone footage showing either smog, mist, or some sort of debris in the air. Plus, this is interesting stuff and perhaps the only way many commenters know what's going on outside their particular environment.

2) In the US, the flooding in India, Bangladesh, and Nepal isn't getting much coverage. We're worrying about Houston flooding, but the number of people that are affected by flooding in Asia outnumber about the state of Texas and Florida combined. The death toll is around 1200 but disease, famine, and injury as a result of those floods will increase that number over the coming months. Regardless of what happened with Harvey or what happens with Irma, the number of people affected will not even compare to those unfortunate souls in Asia.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 405member
    Anyone know the estimate time to walk a lap in the mother ship?
  • Reply 34 of 53
    jdgaz said:
    Anyone know the estimate time to walk a lap in the mother ship?
    Depending on the layout, that may not even be possible; at least not for the average employee. I think the outside sidewalk is just under a mile in circumference, if memory serves.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,810member
    jbdragon said:
    Didn't Apple want the drones to stop flying over Apple's UFO and surrounding buildings? Yet it's still going on.
    They did...I suspect what's happening is they're allowing Dunkin and I think its Matt to continue doing it as they were the first ones doing it in the first place. I think Apple just wanted to stop the "me too" people so they had like 50 drones flying overhead every day at different times during the day. 

I'm wondering if Apple has some kind of agreement where they can use Dunkin's and Matt's footage for whatever they need in exchange for them being able to continue shooting it. Or, maybe Apple is just licensing this footage? 

The other thing could simply be that Apple found they cannot control who flies a drone over their campus, although I really haven't seen many other people doing this since Apple announced this. I remember here people asking how Apple can stop people in the adjacent parking lot (not owned by Apple) from flying something over Apple Park. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Soli said:

Apple have been using glass elevators with a single mechanism to raise and lower patrons for many years.

Thanks for the video.   Must be something unique for 1 story trips - Boston has a 'standard' elevator in back to traverse our 4 stories...
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Soli said:
    Apple has been using glass elevators with a single mechanism to raise and lower patrons for many years.
    Thanks for the video.   Must be something unique for 1 story trips - Boston has a 'standard' elevator in back to traverse our 4 stories…
    I'm curious about the legal aspects of that. There are plenty of elevators with glass panels that traverse long distances, but all seem to have steal frames and use a cable system and the Otis safety brake*. A hydraulic lift seems pretty damn safe, so maybe it's limited to how long you can effectively make a hydraulic system.

I'd love to see the plans for this rotating elevator system for Steve Jobs Theater, but I'm afraid that I'll be blasted for questioning the soundness of the design¡

* Did Otis really invent the safety brake or just popularize/capitalize on it?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 38 of 53
    tyler82 said:
    Its smoke from the many wildfires burning in California right now. 
  • Reply 39 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    I wonder if the above ground area would be a good place for showcasing new products. Events typically start at 10am and so there would be plenty of natural light from 360° shortly after noon to make products in the cases glow. However, these plans only show that as Lobby, not an Exhibition area.

They aren't required to make it one or the other, and it's clearly going to be the primary lobby before the event, but I suspect downstairs may be too. The temporary storage area is probably where the tables or cases with products will be stored and then set up during the show so the media can see it immediately afterwards.

Perhaps controlling the light downstairs is the better option, and taking items up those two elevators may be be cumbersome since they aren't the large service elevators that located behind the stage. In fact, their circle design makes me assume they are glass. Also not the locations of the bathrooms with their dual access from the exhibit space and the auditorium, with what I assume will be an easy method for blocking access back into the exhibit area while not removing sufficient exit points in case of an emergency.
    Soli. the hidden "hands-on" area is behind a wall according to the infamous those-who-know. 
    "Once CEO Tim Cook and his cohorts finish showing off the new iPhones, Apple Watch and TV onstage, a surprise will await the departing attendees. An inside wall, which obscures a hollow space below the floating saucer, will retract to reveal the product demonstration room."

By the way the elevators you mentioned are rotating so that passengers use the same door whether they are entering or exiting, and again according to the same insiders.
    AI has a related story posted
    https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/201616/apple-parks-steve-jobs-theater-includes-rotating-elevators-retracting-demo-room-wall#latest

EDIT: By the way Soli, really nice work on ferreting out the building details. First I'd seen it anywhere, and it looks absolutely Apple-worthy!
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 40 of 53
    tyler82 said:
    macseeker said:
    tyler82 said:
    In the last week or two, we've been having some bad cloudy days. One from a tropical storm south of us. There are far many places in California that have cleaner air that other places around the world.
    Born and raised in California, lived in Bay Area for many years. The air is filthy, it's the second most congested metro area as far as car traffic outside of Los Angeles, so of course the air is gonna be dirty. Your cars don't run on good intentions, they run on oil products.

The wildfires also have a lot to do with it, almost 1/4 of the years are now public health hazards with smoky air. Yes, global warming is real and it's killing the air, water, environment, everything. Just a few days ago SF had the hottest temperature ever on record at over 100 degrees. It's getting worse every year.

But I digress, the Steve Jobs theatre is beautiful. Albeit.. much more tiny than the Macworld presentations I was used to at Moscone (and Javits.. and before that, Boston).

edit: nevermind.. the poster above attached a map that appears to be underground, interesting, will be fun to watch on Tuesday.
    What do wildfires have to do with global warming? The hottest temperature record in San Francisco has nothing to do with global warming. It's not getting worse every year. The hot temperatures are from a high pressure system that was over California. That produced the high temperatures across the state. Heat waves have been happening forever in California.