Ditching Touch ID in 'iPhone 8' wasn't Apple's first choice, was forced by technical restr...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,901member
    Important technology get hammered out way early than when time to build into product. So, this is all jibber-jabber. In few days we will know how many of us are right or wrong.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    nht said:
    Yeah, I don't believe it. "Face unlock" might be an additional level of security, but it sure as heck won't replace Touch ID.
    Agreed.  Despite all the rumors, I have yet to be convinced that Touch ID is going away.  I'm prepared to be wrong, like I have been before, but I'll be surprised if it's just gone.
    Folks here claiming that TouchId is gone studiously ignores answering why the power button is larger now and why they assume TouchId is gone when Apple just got a patent for putting the TouchId...in the power button.

Yes that's a good question: why is power button so large? 

I think having TouchID on the side of the phone might work even better for NFC terminals: that's how you naturally hold the phone, so a thumb trigger for right-handed people, index finger for the left. 

But what about when when the phone is lying on a table? Maybe that's where the face recognition comes in. Or maybe Siri now wants to make sure who is speaking before answering a question. 

I'm not really a fan of the face recognition idea, but I do have a question: when it comes to using Apple Pay at an NFC terminal, how can you do it without at least glancing at your iPhone's screen? If we're assuming that this face thing can work at an angle, then it's not that much different to using TouchID, is it? I mean, you have to look at the screen to make sure it's got the right card for one thing. 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 43 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,088member
    Rayz2016 said:
    nht said:
    Yeah, I don't believe it. "Face unlock" might be an additional level of security, but it sure as heck won't replace Touch ID.
    Agreed.  Despite all the rumors, I have yet to be convinced that Touch ID is going away.  I'm prepared to be wrong, like I have been before, but I'll be surprised if it's just gone.
    Folks here claiming that TouchId is gone studiously ignores answering why the power button is larger now and why they assume TouchId is gone when Apple just got a patent for putting the TouchId...in the power button.

Yes that's a good question: why is power button so large? 
    Has there been a verified pic of the new models posted yet? AFAIK the large power button hasn't been confirmed by Apple has it? 
  • Reply 44 of 45
    beng said:
    This good news.  Why? Because Touch ID never worked for me, so I couldn’t use it.  The reason is my rough and scaley fingertips. Now maybe they will come up with something I can actually use.  I would call that progress, regardless of how it occurred (necessity is the mother of all ……)
    Same for my wife. Never worked for her fingers. Works fine for mine--and extremely fast on iPhone 7 btw--I had to change my habit of clicking home button to check time because it's open so fast I couldn't use it that way anymore andi have to use the sleep/wake button (poorly placed since iPhone 6!!) for its named purpose, "wake!"