Crowdfunded HomeKit smoke detector Birdi marred by late and low-quantity deliveries, silen...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    The comments all reference crowd funding. I placed a pre-order on the website for over $400 and did not agree to any crowd funding "it might not happen" terms.  I was able to contact a beta user back in May and he said they were acquired and I would be very happy but that was it.  I even went to far as to track down the businesses next to their listed corporate address to see if they were still there with no response.  I bought five Birdi units after a bad experience with faulty Nest Protect units that kept tripping false alarms.  Nest badly wanted them back after an engineer told me they cold determine fault sensors, I debated contacting UL for answers since Nest wouldn't confirm that all the units I purchased could be trusted.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    The comments all reference crowd funding. I placed a pre-order on the website for over $400 and did not agree to any crowd funding "it might not happen" terms.  I was able to contact a beta user back in May and he said they were acquired and I would be very happy but that was it.  I even went to far as to track down the businesses next to their listed corporate address to see if they were still there with no response.  I bought five Birdi units after a bad experience with faulty Nest Protect units that kept tripping false alarms.  Nest badly wanted them back after an engineer told me they cold determine fault sensors, I debated contacting UL for answers since Nest wouldn't confirm that all the units I purchased could be trusted.
    I'm not entirely sure what your points are. Can you elaborate? 
  • Reply 23 of 24
    "low-quantity deliveries" I challenge you to find some proof (Youtube unboxing video, personal blog with photos…) of a SINGLE consumer having received a Birdi unit. There is absolutely no one in the whole world. This scam has run for more than four years now. "Crowd funding is perilous" You forgot to tell that for some time, Birdi dare to sell their vaporware (great for a smoke detector!) directly from their website, way after the Indigogo campaign had finished, so not at all from crowd funding. These guys should be in jail now.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Like others here, I too 'pre-ordered' smoke detectors from Birdi from their website--not from a crowd funding site. They took my money, never delivered, and never responded to any of my emails or Facebook messages. I subsequently discovered on Facebook that there were a lot of people already complaining about these issues when I placed my order. Over the course of the next two years, Birdi continued to accept new orders on their website, all the while not fulfilling their existing orders. I am no expert in this, but that seems fraudulent to me. I have filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. Here's the link in case anyone else out there would like to do the same. https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc