LTE Apple Watch details: iCloud Music Library streaming, 16GB of storage, LTE talk time an...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Can you turn off the LTE radio Only?  or is it All on (wifi/bluetooth/LTE) or all off (airplane mode).

Do you HAVE to activate the LTE service to actually use the watch?

Just curious what your battery life would be like if you bought the LTE version, but never turned on/activated the LTE.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Rayz2016 said:
    I'm actually surprised they support voice calls. I wasn't expecting that. 

Will folk use it? Hopefully not without AirPods or something. 

Hopefully not me!
    Essentially, I carry my phone with me at all times -- even cutting the grass or out running just in case I need to call for help.   The Series 3 LTE will enable me to leave my phone in the house because I'll always be able to call for help if needed.

For regular calls, the phone is easier to use and more clear.  The Watch does a great job, but not as good as the phone.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 23 of 29
    im not sure if we know yet, but but I'm curious if i go out on a run,  will i be able to use my wireless earbuds with this or will only AirPods be able to connect? Does it connect to the watch itself?  And when listening to music, will i be able to stream from other streaming services like spotify, amazon music, pandora, or will we only be able to use apple music?
  • Reply 24 of 29
    im not sure if we know yet, but but I'm curious if i go out on a run,  will i be able to use my wireless earbuds with this or will only AirPods be able to connect? Does it connect to the watch itself?  And when listening to music, will i be able to stream from other streaming services like spotify, amazon music, pandora, or will we only be able to use apple music?
    Any Bluetooth earbuds work with any Apple Watch model, including Series 3. With Series 2, 1 and 0, you can load music directly onto the watch and leave your phone at home. With Series 3 you can stream.

Series 3 will also support LTE data for third-party apps, and I have not heard anything about limitations on bandwidth. Presumably if a watchOS 3 app could stream music directly over Wi-Fi, and not just as a remote control for an iPhone app, it should be able to be updated for LTE data. The problem is, Spotify does not have an Apple Watch app, and I believe the Pandora app is simply a controller for the paired iPhone app.

Considering the poor state of non-fitness apps on Apple Watch, here's hoping competing streaming services step up to the plate.
    scrskilz23
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    That red dot though. Does anyone have a plausible reason for that? I mean, I'm not one to usually criticize Apple's design choices, but I simply cannot understand why the high contrast red dot that serves no obvious purpose on an otherwise monochromatic design.
    Easy identification for one thing. I think this is more to help the retail workers than customers. 
    That's ridiculous. If you worked in retail, you'd flip the Watch over and read the back, or look at Settings if you had to. There is absolutely no way they decided to put a bright red dot on the new Watch to help retail.
    Yeah, but the big red dot is an instant identification. I don't have to flip the phone or switch it on and make my way to the settings. I see the dot, I know not to flog it at the non-LTE price. 

Hell, if I have a couple of watches on the kitchen table, then at least I'll know which is mine. 

Oh, and bragging rights.

For me, the dot isn't a deal breaker. How much the providers feel like charging might be. 
    Sorry, but there is NO way the Apple Watch design team factored any of this thinking into making the crown dot red. You're just doing free association at this point.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 29
    16GB, a good amount for music, podcasts, apps and other content.

It's interesting that you mentioned podcasts, as they, along with audiobooks, seem to be the killer feature that Apple Watches cannot currently natively playback. Podcasts require a connection to a phone, and audiobooks just don't exist at all without a whole lot of messing around with playlists and cracking DRM. Did anyone at Apple actually specifically mention podcasts as a feature of the LTE phone?
    cgWerks
  • Reply 27 of 29
    meaning customers who buy the LTE version are paying a $70 premium for 8GB of memory and cellular capability ... while the GPS with LTE Watch dies after four hours. 

not bad. if they will release 4.1 configured to allow real background multitasking...

jdgaz said:
    AW4 to be delivered with camera module and FaceTime. Dick Tracy will have arrived.
    sex offenders use watch cameras. Samsung doesn't even include them anymore on their models.

• Reply 28 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    meaning customers who buy the LTE version are paying a $70 premium for 8GB of memory and cellular capability ... while the GPS with LTE Watch dies after four hours. 

not bad. if they will release 4.1 configured to allow real background multitasking...

jdgaz said:
    AW4 to be delivered with camera module and FaceTime. Dick Tracy will have arrived.
    sex offenders use watch cameras. Samsung doesn't even include them anymore on their models.

Sex offenders also use mobile phones. What's your point?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 29 of 29
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    natethomas said:
    It's interesting that you mentioned podcasts, as they, along with audiobooks, seem to be the killer feature that Apple Watches cannot currently natively playback. Podcasts require a connection to a phone, and audiobooks just don't exist at all without a whole lot of messing around with playlists and cracking DRM. Did anyone at Apple actually specifically mention podcasts as a feature of the LTE phone?
    Yea, most of my listening involves podcasts or audiobooks, and the Watch (from everything I hear) sucks at that. Overcast briefly had it, but Marco had to pull it as Apple changed the APIs. This is something Apple really needs to jump on and address.

mac_128 said:
    Sex offenders also use mobile phones. What's your point?
    I'd guess that phones/tablets, etc. are harder to film with w/o being noticed. Glasses, watches, etc cross a social line and become instantly creepy (cf. Google Glass). That said, unfortunately, I think the cat is out of the bag. If someone wants to be creepy, the tech is there to hide a camera just about anywhere, and I'm guessing someone inclined to do that would be capable of the small amount of initiative necessary to make it happen. Privacy, short of isolation, is a think of the past.