iPhone 8, iPhone X lack support for T-Mobile's new 600 MHz extended LTE network

Posted:
in iPhone
The technical specifications for Apple's new iPhone 8 and iPhone X lack a discrete entry for the 600MHz spectrum required to use T-Mobile's new multi-billion dollar LTE network on Band 71 -- but at present, only one other smartphone has support for the frequency.




To explicitly support the new network, the phones need to support Band 71, or the 600MHz spectrum. The absence of the frequency support means nothing to other carriers -- but the new LTE Extended network that T-Mobile has been building out won't be accessible to iPhone 8 or iPhone X users and it cannot be enabled in software.

The 600MHz spectrum provides better coverage inside buildings, and ranges farther from towers allowing for better rural coverage. The network will be available in full in 2020 -- at which point there will be two more generations of iPhones.

T-Mobile claims that phones from Samsung and LG will be supported on the frequency in the last calendar quarter of 2017. At present, only the unlocked LG V30 is compatible with T-Mobile's LTE Extended network

Qualcomm Technologies has confirmed support of the 600 MHz spectrum in the Snapdragon X16 LTE modem embedded in the Snapdragon 835 mobile platform and the WTR5975 RF transceiver that it pairs with. The X16 modem is included in the Galaxy S8, LG G6, and Galaxy Note 8 -- but other components needed to support the frequency are not.

Band 71 support first rolled out in Cheyenne, Wyo., in August. In 2017, additional 600 MHz sites are slated for locations including northwest Oregon, west Texas, southwest Kansas, the Oklahoma panhandle, western North Dakota, Maine, coastal North Carolina, central Pennsylvania, central Virginia and eastern Washington.

T-Mobile spent $8 billion on the frequency auction in April to acquire 45 percent of the spectrum. It is unclear what the carrier has doled out to build the network.
widmark

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,012member
    It will take T-mobile over year or two to make any meaningful deployment of 600Mhz/Band 71 LTE to reap any benefit with the supported phone for consumers. No real benefit for now.
    edited September 2017 Avieshekronnjbdragonrepressthisredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 19
    As of this date, no handset maker supports the new 600 Mhz extended LTE network. 
    edited September 2017 Avieshekrepressthisredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 19
    The new iPhones support Band 66 - will this result in better cellular performance or coverage for TMo users over iPhone 7 and prior iPhones?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Wow talk about a nonstory!!   That's like a story on saying not every gas station has electric chargers and tesla an electric cars... run for your life and dumb Tesla stock!!!  Seriously, did ATT or Verizon pay for this story?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Great article!  Also disappointed to see no support for Deep Space Network direct connectivity to Voyagers 1 & 2.  But holding breath and fingers crossed!
    Scot1jbdragonRayz2016StrangeDaysrepressthisredgeminipajony0
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,883administrator
    netling said:
    Wow talk about a nonstory!!   That's like a story on saying not every gas station has electric chargers and tesla an electric cars... run for your life and dumb Tesla stock!!!  Seriously, did ATT or Verizon pay for this story?
    What is a non-story is most of the rest of the tech media screaming about it not in the iPhone 8, and "forgetting" to mention that it's only in the one LG phone.

    So, settle down.
    edited September 2017 Solisergiozronnrepressthismacgui2old4funjony0
  • Reply 7 of 19
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,518member
    netling said:
    Wow talk about a nonstory!!   That's like a story on saying not every gas station has electric chargers and tesla an electric cars... run for your life and dumb Tesla stock!!!  Seriously, did ATT or Verizon pay for this story?
    What is a non-story is most of the rest of the tech media screaming about it not in the iPhone 8, and "forgetting" to mention that it's only in the one LG phone.

    So, settle down.
    Good point. I wouldn't mind seeing that pointed out in the story, since I generally don't read sny other tech media. For this very reason.
    pscooter63repressthisjony0
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Can anybody say, is the new W2 Chip different by supporting Bluetooth 5?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    I was curious about the marketshare (and growth) of T-Mobile compared with the Big Two, and it turns out they have more of it than I thought. Still, the argument against 600 MHz in the iPhone just moves from “they’re not enough of the market to justify it” to “they don’t have anything built out yet.”

    pscooter63repressthis
  • Reply 10 of 19
    It's a non-story unless you live in one of the areas that could use better rural coverage which this appears to offer.  I live in central PA which is on the list for deployment later this year.  Not that I won't be getting the iPhone 9/iPhone XI or whatever is out next year (I love Jump on Demand!), but it would be nice to have the support with the new handset BEFORE the spectrum is live rather than after.  That way when they roll it out, the hardware is ready to go,  Not going to change carriers or devices over it, just saying this would be a nice to have.

    ronn
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,172member
    So right now, it's in 1 city with a population of around 65,000 people out of over 330 Million Americans. WOW!!! It's going to take a couple years just to make it in the Big City's. Which is where it's needed the most as it's better in penetrating walls. Also just population density means large city's will be first on the list.

    It's going to be Far, far longer to spread out of there. It could be 4-8 years before I see it in my town. I was at Shasta Lake house boating the last 2 years and when I could get a connection, it was a E on my iPhone screen. I was like what the hell is that? E as in Edge Network. Basically a little more advanced 2G. It's not even 3G, let alone LTE.

    1 Android phone currently has it. 1 out of how many Android phones? The new Note 8 didn't get it. The S8 doesn't have it. Will the Pixel 2 have it? Does it matter?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 21,117member
    LukeCage said:
    As of this date, no handset maker supports the new 600 Mhz extended LTE network. 
    8/31/17
    "Two weeks after T-Mobile began lighting up its first 600 MHz sites in Wyoming, the Un-carrier on Thursday announced the first handset that will actually be capable of supporting those new airwaves: LG’s V30". Somewhere I recall reading that there would be a total of 4 this year, with TMo specifically mentioning some upcoming Samsung model in their original press release. 

    But yeah, a total non-issue for the moment, and even those keeping their iPhones for the next three years aren't likely to be missing out on all that much as the faster networks become more prevalent. Networks now aren't particularly slow are they? 
    edited September 2017 repressthis
  • Reply 13 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,062member
    clymans said:
    It's a non-story unless you live in one of the areas that could use better rural coverage which this appears to offer.  I live in central PA which is on the list for deployment later this year.  Not that I won't be getting the iPhone 9/iPhone XI or whatever is out next year (I love Jump on Demand!), but it would be nice to have the support with the new handset BEFORE the spectrum is live rather than after.  That way when they roll it out, the hardware is ready to go,  Not going to change carriers or devices over it, just saying this would be a nice to have.


    Pointless.  It's not really going to be ready in your area for at least 3 years.  By then you'll have another phone.  I live in a rural part of Southeastern PA, and my town just got a decent LTE connection last year (AT&T).  In fact, between Lancaster and West Chester still constantly slips into so-called "4G" coverage.  
  • Reply 14 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 17,062member

    jbdragon said:
    So right now, it's in 1 city with a population of around 65,000 people out of over 330 Million Americans. WOW!!! It's going to take a couple years just to make it in the Big City's. Which is where it's needed the most as it's better in penetrating walls. Also just population density means large city's will be first on the list.

    It's going to be Far, far longer to spread out of there. It could be 4-8 years before I see it in my town. I was at Shasta Lake house boating the last 2 years and when I could get a connection, it was a E on my iPhone screen. I was like what the hell is that? E as in Edge Network. Basically a little more advanced 2G. It's not even 3G, let alone LTE.

    1 Android phone currently has it. 1 out of how many Android phones? The new Note 8 didn't get it. The S8 doesn't have it. Will the Pixel 2 have it? Does it matter?
    I realized I basically just wrote the same post!  Actual, usable coverage will take years to hit even the exurbs (I live in the absolute last Philly exurb to the West).  Truly rural areas?  There are still place that don't have any coverage.  Zero.  And people are worried about a new band on one carrier, for which there may be 1 phone on the market right now?  Dumb.  
  • Reply 15 of 19
    "Incompatible with"

    no no no, say it "lacks support for"

    to win the SEO game you must be the SEO game.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    So...the iPhone 8 Plus does support it? 

    In various copy, 8 and 8 Plus are mentioned separately, so implying that '8' on its own means the entire series is misleading. I'm sure the models are explicitly shown in the graphic above, but who knows Apple model numbers off the top of their heads? 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 17 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 1,469member
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    What is a non-story is most of the rest of the tech media screaming about it not in the iPhone 8, and "forgetting" to mention that it's only in the one LG phone.

    So, settle down.
    This ^. I've seen several 'criticisms' of the 8 and X series not supporting that T-Mo band, by both tech and Apple Haters. Until now I had no idea the it wasn't just 'another Apple Fail' but FUD trotted out by Anti-Apple press and Other Platform Users.

    This is the first I've heard and/or realized that a) not only does the 'iPhone Killer' Note 8 not support it  b) no currently selling phone supports it and c) the T-Mo band won't be fully (?) deployed until 2020. I'll be off my 5s before then but might still have a more current phone that still doesn't support it. So it might not affect me for awhile.

    So yeah, if being able to refute and maybe even dispel FUD and knowing actual fact isn't a consideration, this may be a non-story.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 1,672member
    For people who keep a phone for more than a year, this is not a 'non-story.' What it means is that as the new network is rolled out they won't be able to take advantage of it without buying a new phone. I wasn't planning on getting an iPhone X, but I guess I'll definitely be waiting for an Xi
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I'm glad it doesn't support that frequency, and that there's only one phone that does. My community theater group still have wireless microphones in the 600 MHz spectrum, so it's good to know that the iPhone (and most other phones) won't interfere with our shows. We know they have to be replaced in 2020, but we're trying to push off that expense for a while!
    [Deleted User]
Sign In or Register to comment.