Apple says Dolby Atmos surround sound coming to Apple TV 4K in later update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    sog35 said:
    Here we go again TIMOTHY JAMES COOK.

I mean seriously!!!

WTF are all your workers doing!!!

First the Watch is missing its #1 key feature.

Now the ATV is missing its #2 key feature?

How screwed up is this place?  Did Timmy have 100% of the staff work on the iPhoneX?  WTF.

1. Apple Watch has LTE problems

2. ATV does not support Dolby Atmos

3. iPhoneX is delayed over 6 weeks

4. iPhone 8 came out on time.......because its basically the iPhone 6ss.  How to screw that up.

Agree. Apple have unlimited cash, thousands of staff and STILL have majors problems with all their releases. And the lack of effort with the iPhone 8 is unforgivable
    edited September 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 33
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Just a reminder for everyone here to read our commenting guidelines. Some posts have been removed. Personal attacks are not okay. Keep it civil.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    sog35 said:
    jSnively said:
    Just a reminder for everyone here to read our commenting guidelines. Some posts have been removed. Personal attacks are not okay. Keep it civil.
    Thank you.

Comments telling people they have severe mental illness has no place here.  Its basically online bulling at its worse
    And yet, here you are, perpetuating what was already sanitized, and thus water under the bridge.  Why is that?
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    sog35 said:
    jSnively said:
    Thank you.

Comments telling people they have severe mental illness has no place here.  Its basically online bulling at its worse
    People in glass houses should only throw nerf rocks. Please refresh yourself on the commenting guidelines.

Do not persist. We've issued several bans this week.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 25 of 33
    As someone who has invested in Atmos the lack of a suitable streaming option has kept me in the BluRay camp as opposed to digital media. Vudu supports it on a few titles but Vudu is streaming only- and my home ISP isn’t up to the task. If the ATV5 adds support for Atmos I’ll be first in-line even though I already have ATV4. DTS:X would be nice as well. Doesn’t require any processing on the ATV end, just send the audio to the AVR and let it decode. But for folks like me Apple would gain additional movie sales, not just hardware. 

To me Atmos is very similar to 4K. Very few people I know have implemented either format yet but certainly the market is moving there. 

Admittedly the high high end home theater market seems to be contracting with millenials content to consume media on tiny screens. I’ll take my 120” projector screen and 7.4.2 Atmos setup over any commercial theater in my area. 
    cali
  • Reply 26 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    rob55 said:
    jdgaz said:
    Atmos may be wonderful, but most will never experience it at home. Way too much in the way of speakers and costs for the typical family. 5.1 is even a hard sell to the millennials.
    You hit the nail on the head with that comment. I'll go one further and say that a good stereo setup is a hard sell to most millennials. Most of them that I encounter or have to interact with think their Beats headphones or their EarPods are the pinnacle of audio fidelity.
    Nah, it's because they grew up with their dads trying to build a home theater in the 90s, constantly tinkering with it every weekend, and it never working as promised. They want nothing to do with that mess!
  • Reply 27 of 33

Atmos is a scam.  Like most technological improvements for sound, Dolby was the "last cab off the rank", with NHK 22.2, Auro3D, DTS-X, and MPEG-H all technologically superior.  Dolby didn't even INVENT this technology but instead bought a French audio company in order to play catch-up.  Standards for these immersive sound formats are mostly non-existent.  

According to the CEA, only about 16% of homes even have 5.1 surround sound, much less 7.1, 9.1, and now immersive sound.  And if you remove the percentage that have their surrounds in the wrong place, you've got to ask - what's the point???

And despite Steve Jobs hiring audio charlatan Tomlinson Holman as sound system designer for his $60million yacht (that he never lived to ride in), Apple's audio decision making has always been poor.

Dolby is only interested in application of their logo to products - there is NO WAY a 60+ speaker immersive format can do anything but bullshit audio manipulation on a cell phone (to which Dolby has inserted "Atmos").   I applaud Apple for delaying implementation of Atmos, along with their slow-walking High Dynamic Range television (which also still has no standards released).  

• Reply 28 of 33
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

Atmos is a scam.  Like most technological improvements for sound, Dolby was the "last cab off the rank", with NHK 22.2, Auro3D, DTS-X, and MPEG-H all technologically superior.  Dolby didn't even INVENT this technology but instead bought a French audio company in order to play catch-up.  Standards for these immersive sound formats are mostly non-existent.  

According to the CEA, only about 16% of homes even have 5.1 surround sound, much less 7.1, 9.1, and now immersive sound.  And if you remove the percentage that have their surrounds in the wrong place, you've got to ask - what's the point???

And despite Steve Jobs hiring audio charlatan Tomlinson Holman as sound system designer for his $60million yacht (that he never lived to ride in), Apple's audio decision making has always been poor.

Dolby is only interested in application of their logo to products - there is NO WAY a 60+ speaker immersive format can do anything but bullshit audio manipulation on a cell phone (to which Dolby has inserted "Atmos").   I applaud Apple for delaying implementation of Atmos, along with their slow-walking High Dynamic Range television (which also still has no standards released).  

First and only warning, don't spam my forums. You said this nearly verbatim on page 1 of this thread.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

First and only warning, don't spam my forums. You said this nearly verbatim on page 1 of this thread.
    I hope AI keeps up the reviews of Audio related products that work with Apple/mobile tech.   I never bought SONOS because it didn't come with native AIRPLAY support.   Now I am really interested to see what develops with HomePods and AirPlay 2.   Thanks.
    cali
  • Reply 30 of 33
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    k2kw said:

I hope AI keeps up the reviews of Audio related products that work with Apple/mobile tech.   I never bought SONOS because it didn't come with native AIRPLAY support.   Now I am really interested to see what develops with HomePods and AirPlay 2.   Thanks.
    I wish I could use homepods as a 5.1 surround system. That would be killer.

lkrupp said:
    Re: Atmos

This thread reminds me of Louis CK 

https://youtu.be/TviGil-U2HE
    That video should be required to be posted at the top of every tech blog site and users must watch it before they can access the site and start bitching about what feature, or lack thereof, is a “deal killer” for them. Not kidding.
    The funny trend I see against Apple is that people will bi**h about a feature they themselves aren’t ready for.

A lot of people complaining about lack of 4k and now Atmos didn’t have compatible hardware. It just gave them an excuse to bash Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    thrang said:
    Atmos is a scam. Like most technological improvements for sound, Dolby was the "last cab off the rank", with NHK 22.2, Auro3D, DTS-X, and MPEG-H all technologically superior. Dolby didn't even INVENT this technology but instead bought a French audio company in order to play catch-up. Standards for these immersive sound formats are mostly non-existent. And despite Steve Jobs hiring audio charlatan Tomlinson Holman as sound system designer for his $60million yacht (that he never lived to ride in), Apple's audio decision making has always been poor. Dolby is only interested in application of their logo to products - there is NO WAY a 60+ speaker immersive format can do anything but bullshit audio manipulation on a cell phone (to which Dolby has inserted "Atmos"). I applaud Apple for delaying implementation of Atmos, along with their slow-walking High Dynamic Range television (which also still has no standards released).
    A bit kooky...without quantifying which is "best" Atmos works extremely well, as does DTS:X.

Who did Dolby buy to create the technology?
    A company called Imm Sound - based I believe in Spain, but primarily French technology.  
  • Reply 32 of 33
    sog35 said:
    Would it not be better if the problems were fixed BEFORE the items are released?

Its as if they didn't even test the product.
    Very nice. I assume you in live in a world where Google, FaceBook, Samsung, Amazon all ship perfect products. True?

Oh wait, someone shipped an exploding phone once.  And someone else allowed all sorts of ads targeting racists and fake news sites running Russia propaganda, right?

But to tell the truth, we'd all like to live in a world with only perfect products.