First iPhone 8 teardown reveals few internal design changes [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Just hours after iPhone 8 hit store shelves in early launch countries, iFixit tore down Apple's newest smartphones to reveal all the goodies packed within, finding an internal layout largely identical to iPhone 7.

The aftermarket repair firm flew to Australia to pick up this year's dissection subject, a gold iPhone 8 that is externally -- and internally -- very similar to last year's iPhone 7 in rose gold. iFixit's teardown is ongoing as of this writing, but the company has found only a handful of changes.

On the outside, this year's biggest update is a glass back that replaces the aluminum chassis found in iPhone 6, 6s and 7 models. Apple claims the backing incorporates special materials, including a steel and copper structure, to prevent cracking and bending. Driving the decision to move to glass instead of more rigid metal is iPhone's new wireless charging feature.

Based on the Qi standard, Apple's wireless solution is clearly seen in an X-ray image of iPhone 8's rear housing, provided to iFixit by the team at Creative Electron. In the image below, a large charging coil can be seen obscuring the handset's logic board, battery and supporting structures.

At launch, iPhone 8 wireless charging speeds will be comparable to those provided by the included 5-watt wall adapter, though Apple has promised to increase inductive charging rates with a future software update.

The handset's general construction is identical to iPhone 7, though iFixit notes a lack of gaskets on the display's pentalobe screws. The purpose of the screw surrounds is unknown, though some have speculated the design was a waterproofing feature. For 2017, Apple says iPhone is "microscopically sealed" for water and dust resistance.

Further, Apple has elected to use standard Phillips screws to secure internal cables, a change away from tri-point screws found in the iPhone 7 series.

As rumored, iPhone 8 uses an 1,821 milliamp-hour battery, smaller than the 1,960mAh cell found in the iPhone 7. Despite decreased density, Apple estimates iPhone 8 will last just as long on a single charge as its predecessor.

The general internal layout is nearly unchanged from last year, but Apple is employing a few new interconnects and cables to route power and data through the cramped space. Also new is a bracket that appears to secure the large Taptic Engine module.

On the logic board is Apple's A11 Bionic SoC with 2GB of SK Hynix LPDDR4 RAM, a Qualcomm MDM9656 Snapdragon X16 LTE Modem, Skyworks 77366-17 quad-band GSM power amplifier module, NXP secure NFC module, an Apple/USI WiFi/Bluetooth/FM radio module, 64GB of Toshiba NAND flash storage, Qualcomm Gigabit LTE RF transceiver, Broadcom wireless charging IC and a few miscellaneous chips.

Apple's iPhone 8 went up for sale last week and started shipping out to customers on Friday.

Update: iFixit has subsequently torn down an iPhone 8 Plus, finding a layout largely similar to iPhone 7 Plus and hardware tweaks in line with those seen in iPhone 8. Of note, the 8 Plus sports a 10.28 Wh battery, less than the 11.1 Wh unit found in last year's 7 Plus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Thanks. Watching the progress now.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    every time i hear about a battery the same size or smaller, i want to bash my head against a desk. I dont know how many ways over years Apple needs to hear that we want MORE battery life. Make you wonder if they ever get out into the real world where people are constantly looking to charge their iPhones.
    Size does no matter (that's what she said). It's all come down to quality, and Apple manage to add longer hours in their smaller package (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-battery-life,review-4677.html).
    SoliClarityToSeepscooter63StrangeDaysmike1allmypeopleRacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    every time i hear about a battery the same size or smaller, i want to bash my head against a desk. I dont know how many ways over years Apple needs to hear that we want MORE battery life. Make you wonder if they ever get out into the real world where people are constantly looking to charge their iPhones.
     Apple makes a battery pack for those people who feel they need more battery.  problem solved. 
    (I don't think you think there are as many 'we' people as you selfishly with them to bet).  The weight/size/batterylife/speed multi-variate equation is likely quite well tested in the marketplace.  bigger means heavier, thicker...  I think making a CPU more efficient and super fast is the better knob to adjust.

I would have to think that nearly 100% (or if some are like me, 102%) of Apples' 120,000 employees are iPhone users.  I'm sure there are quite a few live in the 'real world,' and have bet their paychecks this is the correct combination of size and battery life for the masses.

pscooter63dewmeStrangeDaysmike1
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Make you wonder if they ever get out into the real world where people are constantly looking to charge their iPhones.
    This.

Worse, they seek a homogenous culture (Infinite Loop should be called Feedback Loop), like the companies in Japan and Korea as opposed to simple uniform professionalism like most tech companies.
    allmypeople
  • Reply 5 of 18
    It has the best battery life FOR ITS SIZE, in fact considering its battery size it does MORE THAN THE COMPETITION.
    FRACK, get a god damn clue.  Where the hell do you think that god damn battery will fit. Tell me now. Huh. What the hell should they throw out.

They just put a Qi charging coil in there and the phone last longer.

Who the hell cares about actual logic and reality; not you. You bitch about something impossible.
    "I wanna phone the size of the Iphone" but with a battery bigger than the actual phone's internals... Wahhhhh" (sic).
    edited September 2017 baconstangmike1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Make you wonder if they ever get out into the real world where people are constantly looking to charge their iPhones.
    This.

Worse, they seek a homogenous culture (Infinite Loop should be called Feedback Loop), like the companies in Japan and Korea as opposed to simple uniform professionalism like most tech companies.
    IF they constantly charge it because they constantly use it considering it has proportionally the same battery life as the competition in the same size, instead of carrying them like big ass paper weight doing nothing with it all day like most Android phones.

Yes, those phones are used more intensely than Android phones; usage stats show this.
    edited September 2017 pscooter63mike1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Also, Fixit is full of BS considering almost MOST PARTS HAVE CHANGED.
    Even the screen is actually different (different model number). Yeah, it looks like a screen. Well, fantastic then, Guess all cars are essentially the same then.
    StrangeDaysmike1RacerhomieXanton zuykovwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Wow!  So they didn't re-arrange all the internals just so that it would look different?
    And they call that innovation?
    doozydozenStrangeDaysGeorgeBMaccornchipanton zuykovjony0
  • Reply 9 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Wow!  So they didn't re-arrange all the internals just so that it would look different?
    But they changed the case, and we all know that's what counts as true innovation.

Never mind all the actual changes, if it looks the same or similar, it can't be innovative.
    baconstangGeorgeBMacRacerhomieXwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 18
    No changes except the glass back and the wireless charging coil. Oh, I forgot to mention the A11 processor which managed to render a video in 40 seconds that the latest Samsung phone took over 4 minutes to render. But the iPhone is only a toy and can’t do anything /s. 
    pscooter63StrangeDaysanomewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    What on earth...? Can you cite any references to this claim? Considering they have a diversity executive (much to the discomfort of some on this site), I suspect youre full of it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Why do you think you speak for everybody? If most people get a full day on a charge most of the time, then Apple has made the battery large enough. There are a multitude of battery cases available for those with use cases outside the norm. Clearly the thickness of the phone doesn't matter to you, so you should have no objection using one of those.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 18
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I'm wondering if the top speaker is new? 

On my 7, the "stereo" speaker still has 80% of the volume and all of the bass come from the bottom, blocking the top one loses you almost nothing. They said the 8 is 25% louder, but is it balanced this time? 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    foggyhill said:
    It has the best battery life FOR ITS SIZE, in fact considering its battery size it does MORE THAN THE COMPETITION.
    FRACK, get a god damn clue.  Where the hell do you think that god damn battery will fit. Tell me now. Huh. What the hell should they throw out.

They just put a Qi charging coil in there and the phone last longer.

Who the hell cares about actual logic and reality; not you. You bitch about something impossible.
    "I wanna phone the size of the Iphone" but with a battery bigger than the actual phone's internals... Wahhhhh" (sic).
    Point to where I said I wanted the phone as small as it is or smaller. I'll wait :-)
    Well, don't complain  and lie about how long the battery lasts.  They're not making boats like Samsung, which DON"T LAST LONGER 
    in fact, the note is bigger and lasts the same as the 8+.
    Reread your own posts, you implied something else in it.

edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 18
    This.

Yeah, not everyone is a tech turbonerd who has planned or set up their days around charging. Anyone with a moderately active social life knows this issue is incessant
    Buy a battery pack cause magic doesn't exist and many people don't want to carry a brick all day in their hands too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    My thoughts exactly. What would they rearrange it for? Just to please the idiots and the clowns? If only that could bring billions....but it does not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    kevin kee said:
    Size does no matter (that's what she said). It's all come down to quality, and Apple manage to add longer hours in their smaller package (https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-battery-life,review-4677.html).
    Actually, Size does matter. Battery life is a pretty simple equation - battery capacity ÷ power consumption. To increase battery life, you can either make things more efficient, put a larger battery in, or increase the energy density of the battery. I think it's safe to assume that all the last option has been exhausted with current technology and safety limits, meaning the money is in the first 2 options. 

Assuming that Apple's estimates are correct, the fact that they have increased battery life with a smaller battery means they've done an admirable job of increasing the efficiency of the phone. No matter what, though, if they had put in a larger battery, the battery life would be longer. The 8's battery is 7% smaller. Apple gave a battery life estimate of 12-14 hours - this means that 7% would add close to an extra hour of battery life. I can think of plenty of times that extra hour would have come in very handy, and all of those battery packs not only add significant bulk to the phone, but will most likely interfere with the wireless charging capabilities. 

What gets me is the 'large taptic engine module.' What's the point of this? Supposedly they removed the physical button to make the 7 waterproof. The waterproofing excuse doesn't hold up - There are other phones on the market that are water proof and still have a regular button; if they wanted to, they could have removed the engine, leaving room for other components and/or a larger battery. Given the design of the X, they are planning on ditching the home button totally, so developing the taptic engine to remove the physical button for 2 versions seems odd.