Ikea 'This Charges Everything' ad campaign for iPhone 8 Qi charging invokes past Apple slo...

Posted:
in iPhone
Ikea is capitalizing on not just Apple's inclusion of Qi charging on the iPhone 8 and iPhone X to promote its own line of compatible charging equipment -- but also implements variations of phrases that Apple has used in the past.

The campaign called "This Charges Everything" reutilizes and rewords three older Apple slogans, including a rework of "one more thing," rewording of "this changes everything" for both the name of the slogan and in an ad, plus "think different."

Ikea's Qi-embedded furniture has been available since 2015. The Qi charging line from the flat-pack furniture company includes a a few nightstands, several lamp, plus variations on single-device and multiple-device charging pads. They are not the the cheapest options available using the technology, with the "Nordmrke" three-device charging pad selling for $69.99.

Apple's iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus utilizes Qi wireless charging technology. The new phones went up for pre-order on Sept. 15, with the first shipments arriving on Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I love Ikea...I wish I had one closer, although my wallet doesn't. I have a lot of Ikea furniture and its great for a pretty good price. 
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    macxpress said:
    I love Ikea...I wish I had one closer, although my wallet doesn't. I have a lot of Ikea furniture and its great for a pretty good price. 
    The closest to AppleInsider's DC office is eight miles away, and an hour in traffic.
    llamaRacerhomieX
  • Reply 3 of 18
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Hehe,
    cheeky!

It got a certain Phil vibe, reminiscent to an illustrious parody account  ;)

>:x

EDIT: adds Phil vibe
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 4 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Does anyone know who actually builds the chargers? I presume they are imported to Sweden before being shipped worldwide.

I like their table insert product, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30291875/, for $30. This is a simple 5W charger that pops up to expose a USB jack for additional charging. I could see adding this to my desk, keeping the power cord under the desk top and out of the way.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    rob53 said:
    Does anyone know who actually builds the chargers? I presume they are imported to Sweden before being shipped worldwide.

I like their table insert product, http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30291875/, for $30. This is a simple 5W charger that pops up to expose a USB jack for additional charging. I could see adding this to my desk, keeping the power cord under the desk top and out of the way.
    Not sure who builds them, but I saw a video on youtube where someone actually took some of the chargers apart and they're very well made. Nothing like the dollar store chargers. As far as quality internals, they were up near Apple's. 
  • Reply 6 of 18

macxpress said:
    The closest to AppleInsider's DC office is eight miles away, and an hour in traffic.
    Is that the Woodbridge, VA Ikea by chance? Thats where all of my furniture came from. Been to that one a few times. 
    edited September 2017 llama
  • Reply 7 of 18
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    macxpress said:
    rob53 said:

Not sure who builds them, but I saw a video on youtube where someone actually took some of the chargers apart and they're very well made. Nothing like the dollar store chargers. As far as quality internals, they were up near Apple's. 
    Most of Ikea's products are now manufactured in China.   The stuff was always well designed, but relatively poor build quality, although probably fair for the price.   Ikea has had wireless chargers for some time, but you had to take the iPhone and put it into a special case, which required more effort than simply plugging in the cable to the phone.   But I have to admit, a lamp in which the base is also a charger --- that's a pretty damned good idea.   Ikea should probably build a space for their chargers into tabletops where if you don't want the charger, you can buy other types of inserts to hold various things.   

I was in Sweden recently and various people I visited had almost no Ikea furniture.   There's a lot nicer Scandinavian furniture available from other merchants there (although pricier).   
  • Reply 8 of 18
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:
    Is that the Woodbridge, VA Ikea by chance? Thats where all of my furniture came from. Been to that one a few times. 
    It is. This entire office is 100% filled with wood and "wood" from there.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    rob53 said:

No way they bring them in to Sweden and then distributed worldwide. Completely impractical and expensive. Each region would be responsible for managing their own assortment, inventory etc.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    mike1 said:
    rob53 said:

No way they bring them in to Sweden and then distributed worldwide. Completely impractical and expensive. Each region would be responsible for managing their own assortment, inventory etc.
    Found this information, https://www.quora.com/Is-ikea-furniture-all-made-in-China, that agrees with your comment to a point but it still looks like Ikea determines where things are manufactured instead of having each region figure it out.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    macxpress said:

macxpress said:
    It is. This entire office is 100% filled with wood and "wood" from there.
    Awesome! This is the only Ikea I've been to and where most of my furniture came from. 
  • Reply 13 of 18
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    rob53 said:
    mike1 said:
    rob53 said:

Found this information, https://www.quora.com/Is-ikea-furniture-all-made-in-China, that agrees with your comment to a point but it still looks like Ikea determines where things are manufactured instead of having each region figure it out.
    Oh definitely. I would expect that. Just not the redundant shipping of merchandise. Sawdust is very heavy. 
  • Reply 14 of 18

Ikea 'This Charges Everything' ad campaign for iPhone 8 Qi charging invokes past Apple slo...

No.
    Evokes.  Not invokes.  EVOKES.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 15 of 18

No.
    Evokes.  Not invokes.  EVOKES.
    "Invokes" works as well, but thanks for the suggestion!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I am constantly amused at the "if it's made in China it's crap" mentality. Might I remind you that Apple products are still being made in China. The manufacturing quality is only dependant on the company used and the money paid so don't blame poor Chinese workers for build quality issues blame the company employing them to turn a quick buck.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Is that the cable entry at the front? meh
  • Reply 18 of 18
    adm1 said:
    Is that the cable entry at the front? meh
    No. The AC cable for the lamp is out the back. That's another USB-A receptacle.