Apple releases macOS 10.13 High Sierra with APFS, Metal 2, new Safari, Photos improvements...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 97
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
  • Reply 22 of 97
    steven n. said:
    jeff_cook said:
    Does Aperture still work?
    It ran during the beta. Haven't tried on the latest build yet.

That said, many of Apple's older pro-level apps don't work in HS anymore. The day is coming that Aperture will stop functioning.
    I know:-( I have tried to like LightRoom and it simply does not match my work flow at all. Nice conversion but the work flow is simply horrid IMO.
    Well, you’re going to have to make the change at some point. Aperture was never equal to Lightroom as far as IQ was concerned. It’s far behind now.
  • Reply 23 of 97
    Has anyone (if running the beta) noticed that some card transactions on Safari don’t go through if you’ve disabled the cross website tracking? 
  • Reply 24 of 97
    Just my luck. The day I decide to update to macOS Sierra before macOS High Sierra is released and hope EVE Online still works at least as well as it does now on OS X El Capitan, macOS High Sierra gets released.

Is there a way to get macOS Sierra? If my hard drive failed or I swapped it for an SSD and I wanted to stay on macOS Sierra, I would think there is a way to do it.

• Reply 25 of 97
    troberts said:
    Just my luck. The day I decide to update to macOS Sierra before macOS High Sierra is released and hope EVE Online still works at least as well as it does now on OS X El Capitan, macOS High Sierra gets released.

Is there a way to get macOS Sierra? If my hard drive failed or I swapped it for an SSD and I wanted to stay on macOS Sierra, I would think there is a way to do it.

A number of older OSs are still up on their site.
  • Reply 26 of 97
    rob53 said:
    jahaja said:
    Does anyone here have experience of updating from Sierra, using FileVault, to High Sierra which apparently does not have any FileVault since encryption is included from the get-go?
    High Sierra does not format SSD's with encryption by default, at least not during the beta releases. To make sure nothing messed up on my MBP, I turned FV off a couple days ago. Once HS shows up I'll go ahead and install it, seeing if it gives me the option to run APFS+encrypted. If not, I'll turn encryption on while booting from an external drive. I've run beta versions of HS with encryption and it takes awhile (just like FV) to encrypt the entire disk.

Remember, if you are running a Fusion drive and maybe a HDD, it won't give you the option to format as APFS. I'd check Apple's website to see what they say about updating to an existing FV-encryption drive if you're not running a SSD. 
    Thanks! I'm on SSD so for that sake all should be fine. I will do just like you said: turn off encryption, backup and then go High Sierra, backup again and then see what possible encryption it may offer. Very logic way to do it indeed :-) 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 97
    So sharing via SMB will be supported, but not AFS. From expereince with fast networks AFP one way was twice faster than SMB. Interesting development for those who run Gigabit and AC networks. Bottleneck on poor support for good protocol. In general, SMB for Windows networks is not all that great and NFS had its issues and limitation for years. I was hoping that some protocol would come with APFS and drivers could be installed for other systems. These days we can read NTFS on Mac's and Linux via vendor driver layer withouit violating security when it is needed. It looks like echosystem is closing to become very internal and not soo collaborative. SMB and NFS is not enough and they are dated standards.
  • Reply 28 of 97
    melgross said:
    I don’t get what the rush is for some people here. It’s much better to wait at least a couple of days. Do you guys really need to feel as though you’re first? Is this like posting “first” with no other content?
    Because playing with a new OS is great fun for nerds? That's not complicated.

I do wish they had launched on Friday. I can afford a bit of downtime over the weekend…

troberts said:

You could use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your existing HD to an external HD or SSD, upgrade your internal to High Sierra, and boot to the external device using Target Mode. (also, yes, you can get Sierra and many older releases off the app store. Google "make Sierra install USB" for downloading instructions.)
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 29 of 97
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    jeff_cook said:
    Does Aperture still work?
    As promised (ok, not within 30 minutes...download took 3 but installing about 30) an update.
    Aperture works (the same) as in Sierra and the bètas of High Sierra.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 97
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I'll update when they get around to bringing the main feature to Mac's with Fusion Drives (APFS).
    zroger73
  • Reply 31 of 97
    melgross said:
    Nice straw man you've constructed there.

No, it's just about not being afraid of new things, secure in the knowledge that my data is redundant. Why would I wait a few days when I can start adding value today? Strange way to live.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 97
    rob53 said:
    rocaweb said:
    How do I update from 17A362a to 17a365? I tuned off Beta releases on the App Store, and checked for updates and there are none.
    Apple usually phases the release across the country (world) so their update servers aren't hammered. I don't have the beta version and it's not showing on my two Macs yet. Give it time and it will show up. If you're impatient, you can try the direct download mentioned by Mike but be prepared for a slow download.
    There is no "update" to the final release. You have to use the complete installer from the App Store. Those in the beta program will get an email explaining this procedure.
  • Reply 33 of 97
    I can’t wait any longer!!! Installing now...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 97
    Anyone have a link for the Combo Update? Ta.
  • Reply 35 of 97
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    steven n. said:
    I know:-( I have tried to like LightRoom and it simply does not match my work flow at all. Nice conversion but the work flow is simply horrid IMO.

I was about to buy Aperture, and then Apple announced it was discontinuing it.  I've been a Lightroom/Photoshop user since then.  I'm not going to defend Adobe's Lightoom.  I actually do like it as it is geared quite well to photography, HOWEVER... performance-wise it sucks... bad.  Even on my late 2015 Quad i7 5K iMac, working on a large-photo edit drags my machine down to the point I now do a majority of my edits in Photoshop as it is quite fast, then the majority of global-edits in Lightroom.  

Unfortunately, Lightroom is pretty much the only game in photo editing.  Sure, there are others like Phase One, Gimp, etc... but they all lack a lot of things.  Even if Apple continued with Aperture, I just don't trust Apple anymore when it comes to software since they tend to discontinue it, leaving users in the dust.  

Adobe has mentioned that Lightroom 7 is coming with a lot of the criticisms from users addressed.  Here's hoping.

http://www.canonrumors.com/adobe-lightroom-7-coming-soon/

• Reply 36 of 97
    I just updated and it says my SSD is now APFS. Regardless of this, it asks me if I want encryption with FileVault. But I thought FileVault was now built-into APFS? Isn't the volume already encrypted?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 97
    jonyojonyo Posts: 117member
    Does anyone one know if a formerly HDD Mac (2012 non-retina MBP in my case) that’s had the HDD replaced with a SSD will have that SSD automatically converted to APFS from HFS+ like the newer Macs that are aways SSD-only? Or will APFS not be an option for now as with the HDD and Fusion Drive users?
    edited September 2017 watto_cobranht
  • Reply 38 of 97
    StephenWCStephenWC Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Has anyone installed High Sierra yet with Parallels 13 on a Macbook Pro? At this point I am very reluctant to upgrade on my main production machine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 97
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Only a fool would upgrade now. Wait at least six months
  • Reply 40 of 97
    jonyo said:
    Does anyone one know if a formerly HDD Mac 2012 non-retina MBP in my case) that’s had the HDD replaced with a SSD will have that SSD automatically converted to APFS from HFS+ like the newer Macs that are aways SSD-only? Or will APFS not be an option for now as with the HDD and Fusion Drive users?
    I'm curious about this too. We replaced the HDD in my wife's old MBP with an SSD. Since it's still a SATA device, I wonder if High Sierra sees it as an SSD or a HDD? Even if it recognizes SATA SSDs, I wonder if the "reporting" the device provides to the installer will cause it to be interpreted as a hard drive, since that's what the machine had from the factory.