Apple squashes iOS 11 bugs with quick release of iOS 11.0.1

Comments

• Reply 61 of 116
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    dysamoria said:
    sog35 said:
    iOS 11 really sucks on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Battery life is shitty.  Real shitty.  Battery life is probably down 30-40%.

Apps take fucking forever to open.  So many bugs. What a mess. Rotation sucks.

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

You seriously exhibit all the symptoms of by-polar disorder with how you flip-flop on the drop of a hat when it comes to Apple, and especially Tim Cook... Please remember to take your meds...
    Not that you have the authority or credibility to diagnose someone with a mental disorder... You need FAR more symptoms to diagnose someone as anything; far more than just a flip-flopping of attitudes (for example, that is also common in borderline personality disorder).

Also, these diagnoses are defined by the DSM committee, not by science.

Further, no science has ever described any medical cause to support the notion of "medicating" people to "treat" such disorders. "Meds" aren't a fix for behavioral issues. Therapy is, as well as a release from whatever continuing toxic life issues caused these behaviors to develop in the first place (typically starting in childhood and continuing throughout life by being born into and guided into toxic life situations, or via later traumatic experiences).
    You must be fun at parties...
    fastasleep
  • Reply 62 of 116
    sog35 said:

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

Problem is the 6 Plus is powered by the A8 with only 1GB of RAM.  It's showing its age. If you have an iPhone 6 / 6 Plus or older iPhone, I would highly recommend upgrading.
    You talk about the problem of older phones having less RAM and CPU and then highly recommend upgrading??
  • Reply 63 of 116

Maybe I've been lucky but have had zero issues with battery life on my iP7+, running iOS11.  It's the same as on iOS10, maybe even a bit better.  Just hope 11.0.1 fixes other bugs from the beta versions that weren't fixed in the 11.0 GM. 
    Well of course. Apple doesn't care to use their older devices. Hell, it seems to me that they don't even use most of the features because there are bugs everywhere. Like the insertion of signatures into PDFs in email replies. Half the time I send these back to people with signatures missing that I've absolutely inserted (repeatedly). Apple doesn't test features or older hardware much, if at all. Hell, anyone seen the behavior of the "printer communication failure" dialog in iOS? It doesn't seem to work at all. If it does work, the visual feedback is utterly broken.
  • Reply 64 of 116
    No update available on my 7 Plus or iPad Air 2 available as of yet.
    Similar here. Update appeared on my iPhone 7 a few hours. Updated without a hitch. Still hasn’t appeared on my iPad Air 2. Bizarre!
  • Reply 65 of 116
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    I am reading this and I am not updating. Actually the past 2 IOS updates slowed down my devices, so now no more!
  • Reply 66 of 116
    goofy1958 said:
    kkqd1337 said:
    not seeing this update in the UK
    For those of you not seeing the update - do you have the iOS Beta profile loaded on your phone? If so, you will not see the commercial releases until you remove the profile and restart your phone.
    Yes, I have the public beta on my iPad. How do I remove the profile?
  • Reply 67 of 116
    lkrupp said:

sog35 said:
    razorpit said:
    sog35 said:

I sometimes have apps taking forever to open and rotation issues on iOS 10. Your battery life is really down by that much?

It is.

Usually at the end of day my battery is at 80%

Since I've installed iOS11 I'm below 50%
    I have an iPhone 6 with no such issues. Battery is fine. Some apps take longer to launch but certainly not “forever” as you rant. As software advances so does the horsepower needed to run it. And I suspect that if Apple had chosen to not support your iPhone 6S because of processing power you would screaming just as loud about “planned obsolescence.” With you Apple is damned either way.
    There's no need to continuously bloat a piece of software with unnecessary flair and bad code (except to promote bulletpoints in a presentation to sell the same product again). The "advancements" are often nothing truly useful and the old code is seemingly never cleaned up because the level of bugginess present is continuously increasing. Bugs from iOS 7 are still present in ios 10 and, from what I'm seeing here, ios 11 too.

Apple does not care about the product as anything more than a seasonal profit increase. This isn't how Apple was prior to 2013. The products were far more consistent and reliable, especially the software. They used to be pushing the industry forward but they are now just demonstrating the same status quo of pathological capitalism that the rest of the computer industry has shown for decades. The whole function of today's Apple has very clearly shifted to prioritize profit via marketing new product, rather than reaping profit via producing EXCELLENT PRODUCTS. The cart is well and far before the horse.
  • Reply 68 of 116
    I just found something huge: the upgrade to iOS 11 is switching Mail downloads from "manual" to "fetch" (push). I had mine set to manual to save battery, but they were all switched to fetch when I upgraded. Check Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Fetch New Data. Huge battery hog.
    dysamoriaGG1fastasleep
  • Reply 69 of 116
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

I am curious as to what bugs you are having and how you determined your battery life is that much worse. I have a 6 Plus 16GB work phone paired with a gen 1 apple watch and have noticed no determinable difference in battery life compared to 10.3.3. Nor have I experienced any additional bugs or quirkiness. This was an upgrade install as well as opposed to a clean install. The only issue I have had is a carry over from iOS 10 where Siri doesn't want to activate at times but as this issue seems to only happen with this phone and not my personal iphone 7 plus I am assuming its more of a phone issue than it is an OS issue.
    Some bugs I'm having:

2. Can access control center. Swipe up and nothing happens. Nothing. I had to restart the phone.

4. Screen rotation. Screen does not want to rotate to the right orientation. Had to close the app to make it work.
    These aren't new. They might be getting worse though. I rarely see the rotation bug but it's just part of the design of the software for this to break at times. At some point, the variable that defines the state of these kinds of things gets written wrongly or doesn't get written at all and you have to retrigger code that writes that variable and then the code that reads it. Hidden objects are notorious for breaking (hidden menus, palettes, panels, etc). Just like power save features: they always break on everything at some point because the triggers for their behaviors are missed by one or more other interactions with other features. It's something the industry still hasn't figured out how to do reliably. Like so much in computers.

for me on iOS 10, control center has been buggy in sliding up from day one in iOS 9. Same for the Notification Center in iOS and Mac OS, and the hidden message action controls in Mac OS Mail (and the dock if you enable hiding). Gestures are so much less reliable than physical controls or visible screen controls always present (not hidden).

we are now drowning in gestures that are overlapping and competing with each other in a tiny space. They require memorization and accidental discovery for the most part. Then we have the idiot websites with their own versions of gestures, which are even less reliable and less consistent, and which interfere with the platforms they're most used on... What a mess.
  • Reply 70 of 116
    No problems with battery life or performance on the SE. The only thing I am having problems with is the Reminders app. Not that I use it much, but it is annoying that I can't get an Apple app to work.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 71 of 116
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:

I agree with you. Tim Cook failed on quality issues.  He spent so much energy on LGBT and DACA. Steve Jobs is a completely dedicated CEO. Once he was criticized for not donating to charities. He simply ignores the criticism. He does not play politics. Further, he knows numbers really well.  Many people have little interest in numbers therefore they do not understand what they mean. 
    What a bunch of crap.

1. Supporting and promoting a sane society when you have the influence of a huge corporation is not something that takes from CEO responsibilities. At this point, these are the only things about Cook I even like. Take this stuff away and I have zero desire to see him in power at Apple. His real problem might be not coming down on developers and product managers when he sees bugs, if he is ever aware of them (he might not be; he seems to me to be a much more "end-user" kind of person who may blame himself for "doing it wrong", rather than recognizing the design is bad). Or he's refusing to listen to product managers if and when they declare "it's not ready for release yet" or "we need to fix bugs, not develop new features". Yes, his leadership is a problem inside Apple, but it has nothing to do with LGBT and immigration issues.

2. Jobs played politics constantly. You just don't see it because you weren't opposed to his politics like you are opposed to LGBT rights and humane treatment of immigrants. In fact, Jobs' politics are notorious for damaging Apple internally.

3. You cannot separate business and politics, nor should you try to. Where there are people, there are politics.
  • Reply 72 of 116
    Speaking of Apple being damned either way, my partner didn't upgrade to ioS11 and the battery on that iPhone 6 craps out after about half an hour no matter what.  Hey it's only 3 years old that should not be too old!

Oops, forgot to mention.  We went into the Apple Store on Sunday -- not a big one but at one of the largest malls in the country, so not teeny tiny -- and guess what.  Forget going to the Apple Store without a Genius Bar appointment!  The first available appointment at either that one or the next closest store was ... Wednesday!  

Lovely to see Angela Arehndts in her see-through pajamas raincoat talk about how wonderful the new Stores -- they aren't to be called that anymore but I forget the new name -- will be, but when you actually get there it is like a scene from Hieronymous Bosch's Hell.  "Oh, we had no idea we would have so many people come in to talk with the Genius Bar (still called that BTW) when they got their new iPhone 8 and Watch 3, but if we hired any more Geniuses, well, you know, it's not like we're selling millions of these phones and making billions of dollars on it.  Oh, woops, wait!  We are!
    See-through pajamas raincoat? What?

The rest of your comment is on target though.
  • Reply 73 of 116
    sog35 said:

Bollocks. I have none of those problems. I suspect this is just an excuse for you to flip your manic-button and begin your hate-on-Cook phase anew.
    Ah yes, the old "it's just you" response. Just because you don't have these issues doesn't mean no one does. You mustn't have been in the computer industry long because this is like a cliche of unhelpful tech geek responses on forums when people report problems.

One person's anecdotal report isn't enough to declare an absolute epidemic, but the reverse is still true.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 74 of 116
    rob55 said:
    melgross said:
    What a bunch of crap. There were plenty of issues with Jobs. He presided over a lot of junk. He also ignored people’s complaints about it. Remember the round “puck” mouse for the iMac? That was all Jobs. The Cube’s problems? Jobs again. MobileMe? Yup! That’s just a few. If you want to blame Cook for issues, blame Jobs for the ones on his watch too.

and by the way, don’t refer him as though he’s still with us. 
    And let's not forget one of the most famous examples of him ignoring people's complaints, the infamous "You're holding it wrong!" during (so-called) Antenna-gate.

Don't get me wrong, a case quickly solved the signal attenuation problem, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there was a wee engineering oversight with the antenna on the iPhone 4. 
    Incorrect. As Jobs explained in the media event, the attenuation was the same as with other phones when deathgripped by a water-bag (your hand). ATT's carrier data showed no significant increase in call drops, it was just media hoopla over watching the bars go down. Go back and re-watch the event if you've forgotten:

...he shows at 18:45 that carrier data proved it dropped <1 % more often than the 3GS, and had 2/3s less returns than the 3GS, and while <1% was more than they'd like it to be, it showed the death grip signal attenuation wasnt actually a problem IRL.

The real proof? They continued to sell the original 4 unchanged for years to come. Sure newer models got even better, but the original 4 was fine and there was no real world issue, as proven by the carrier data and the sales data.
    All true. But Jobs' notorious reply to a customer was absolute garbage. "You're holding it wrong" is just blaming the user. It's not constructive at all. Different designs have better or worse attenuation. Apple chose the design, not the users.
  • Reply 75 of 116
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,658member

dewme said:
    My original Apple Watch battery was typically at 60% or greater charge at the end of the day. After mowing half my my lawn yesterday it was down to 10%. I see there is a setting on the Watch app on iPhone under General called Workout Power Saving Mode that turns off the heart rate sensor during walking/running activities. Even though this seems rather odd from a functionality perspective, since it's negating a useful feature, I'll try turning that on when I mow the second half today and see how it does. I'm surprised Apple doesn't offer a Turn Off All Watch Features setting to achieve maximum power savings (just kidding). 

After spending >30 years in software, product, and systems development I've never been more convinced than I am now that modern software complexity has far exceeded the ability of human programmers to write reliable code anymore. Too much software has turned into over-featured mega-bloated demoware that contains a small fraction of practical usefulness. Sure, we now have animated emojis to render our ready-to-explode foreheads, bulging neck veins, and bloodshot eyes that reflect our physical reaction to yet another piece of buggy software failing us when it shouldn't, but what about making basic stuff like iCloud syncing reliable enough to always trust, allowing work essential devices like phones and watches last a full day of work, and utilitarian software that doesn't have to be updated every two days? I won't even get into security issues... Very timely article in The Atlantic today about this topic. Yeah, we've seen it all before and nothing really changes. We're still crash test dummies for the next round of betas masquerading as products. But sure don't those augmented reality demos and other new feature unveilings look really sweet - on stage.
    As a software developer with 20 years experience, I'm not panicking. Bugs happen, have always happened, will always happen. IMO you're just getting older and your view is becoming more cynical. Happens. 

Our devices are amazing miracles of ability and I'd never go back to dumb feature phones. I get all day battery and am fine with it; until humanity invents new battery tech that's about all we can hope for. Thankfully I live in civilization and there are wall outlets anywhere I need to be should I do something particularly taxing.
    Actually, I'm far less cynical than when I started in software development and saw firsthand ginormous (at the time) cost & schedule overruns on some of what were (at the time) some of the largest and most complex (waterfall) software projects underway at the time. Agile, lean, SAFe, etc., actually give me a lot of hope for the future if care is taken to not let architectural considerations fall by the wayside. But I stand by my assertion that core/foundational/architectural parts of large software systems are often left to languish while the majority of resources are directed towards what looks good in a 5-minute demo versus what stands the test of time in terms of high availability, resiliency, and failure avoidance. The saving grace for many products in the past 25+ years is that hardware engineering has been many years ahead of software development in terms of maturity and component based design. Imagine what the lifetime of the Cassini probe and similar systems would have been like if the hardware was designed as recklessly as contemporary software software of the same era. Software can seemingly afford to be half-baked because it can be changed post-release. That's both a blessing and a curse.

Anyway, after re-pairing my Watch with my iPhone and turning ON the Workout Power Saving Mode the watch battery is still at 100% after a two hours of activity. Perhaps the heart rate checking is a little too aggressive - or I'm moving way too slow.
  • Reply 76 of 116
    brucemc said:
    dysamoria said:
    sog35 said:

You seriously exhibit all the symptoms of by-polar disorder with how you flip-flop on the drop of a hat when it comes to Apple, and especially Tim Cook... Please remember to take your meds...
    Not that you have the authority or credibility to diagnose someone with a mental disorder... You need FAR more symptoms to diagnose someone as anything; far more than just a flip-flopping of attitudes (for example, that is also common in borderline personality disorder).

Also, these diagnoses are defined by the DSM committee, not by science.

Further, no science has ever described any medical cause to support the notion of "medicating" people to "treat" such disorders. "Meds" aren't a fix for behavioral issues. Therapy is, as well as a release from whatever continuing toxic life issues caused these behaviors to develop in the first place (typically starting in childhood and continuing throughout life by being born into and guided into toxic life situations, or via later traumatic experiences).
    You must be fun at parties...
    Choose your own adventure response:

For "I hate parties", turn to page 35
    For "what do you care, bro, this isn't even your conversation" turn to page 23
    For "I know you are but what am I" turn to page 112
    gatorguySpamSandwich
  • Reply 77 of 116
    still get 2 days of life on my original apple watch since updating to wOS4, but my iPhone 6 battery life has taken about a 20-30% hit since updating to iOS 11. The Podcast App was always a major battery drain but its even worse now too. Listen to 1 hour of a podcast now can take 40- 50% of my battery.
  • Reply 78 of 116
    dysamoria said:
    foggyhill said:
    razorpit said:
    Are the battery issues as bad as what you read on other sites? I have a 6S+ and original Apple Watch. I want to upgrade, but can't afford to loose battery performance like some claim. The phone is not a big deal, I have times that it can charge, but the watch is obviously much more difficult to find a time and place to charge.
    What other site, the people hitching about battery life in the first 48h like every other day. I got the 6s and battery life isaok. Funny how you don’t hear about those whiners in bets despite hundred of thousands being involved. Because people in beta know not to whine in the first 48h unlike the dweebs.

if yoûre talking of that pos MacRumors site, I’d. Wager most people whining don’t actually own an iPhone...
    Right, blame the users instead of blaming Apple for a self-inflicted injury that comes EVERY release because Apple themselves don't address this issue!
    If it exists. In ten years of using Apple phones and supporting many family members I’ve yet to experience post upgrade ZOMG SUXORS! type problems. Never seen it. How can this be?
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 79 of 116

dysamoria said:

Maybe I've been lucky but have had zero issues with battery life on my iP7+, running iOS11.  It's the same as on iOS10, maybe even a bit better.  Just hope 11.0.1 fixes other bugs from the beta versions that weren't fixed in the 11.0 GM. 
    Apple doesn't test features or older hardware much, if at all. 
    Stated as fact, is actually non-factual opinion. thumbs up!
    edited September 2017 watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 80 of 116

dysamoria said:
    lkrupp said:

sog35 said:
    razorpit said:
    sog35 said:

I sometimes have apps taking forever to open and rotation issues on iOS 10. Your battery life is really down by that much?

It is.

Usually at the end of day my battery is at 80%

Since I've installed iOS11 I'm below 50%
    I have an iPhone 6 with no such issues. Battery is fine. Some apps take longer to launch but certainly not “forever” as you rant. As software advances so does the horsepower needed to run it. And I suspect that if Apple had chosen to not support your iPhone 6S because of processing power you would screaming just as loud about “planned obsolescence.” With you Apple is damned either way.
    There's no need to continuously bloat a piece of software with unnecessary flair and bad code (except to promote bulletpoints in a presentation to sell the same product again). The "advancements" are often nothing truly useful and the old code is seemingly never cleaned up because the level of bugginess present is continuously increasing. Bugs from iOS 7 are still present in ios 10 and, from what I'm seeing here, ios 11 too.

Apple does not care about the product as anything more than a seasonal profit increase. This isn't how Apple was prior to 2013. The products were far more consistent and reliable, especially the software. They used to be pushing the industry forward but they are now just demonstrating the same status quo of pathological capitalism that the rest of the computer industry has shown for decades. The whole function of today's Apple has very clearly shifted to prioritize profit via marketing new product, rather than reaping profit via producing EXCELLENT PRODUCTS. The cart is well and far before the horse.
    Conspiracy tinfoil hat nonsense. You must be a new Apple customer if you don’t believe there used to be bugs in Apple software. And all of that opinion about bad code, bloated code, etc — all opinion void of fact. Facts such as the new iphones getting the same battery life despite decreases in capacity...due to tighter code, leaner code, optimization, refactoring, etc... Basically the opposite of bloated abandoned ware. 

You very likely are not a software guy or even a technology guy. Amirite? Fail to see how you can make your baseless assertions with no data on coding practices or LOE at Apple. 
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra