Apple squashes iOS 11 bugs with quick release of iOS 11.0.1

Comments

• Reply 81 of 116

dysamoria said:
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:
    iOS 11 really sucks on my iPhone 6 Plus.

Battery life is shitty.  Real shitty.  Battery life is probably down 30-40%.

Apps take fucking forever to open.  So many bugs. What a mess. Rotation sucks.

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

I agree with you. Tim Cook failed on quality issues.  He spent so much energy on LGBT and DACA. Steve Jobs is a completely dedicated CEO. Once he was criticized for not donating to charities. He simply ignores the criticism. He does not play politics. Further, he knows numbers really well.  Many people have little interest in numbers therefore they do not understand what they mean. 
    Yes, his leadership is a problem inside Apple, but it has nothing to do with LGBT and immigration issues.
    Yes, Cook’s leadership at Apple is a problem if you dislike the best iterations of our favorite devices, industry leading consumerism satisfaction ratings, phenomenal customer base growth, and insane profit — the ultimate proof that customers like what they see.

Terrible!
    edited September 2017 fastasleep
  • Reply 82 of 116
    dysamoria said:
    sog35 said:

Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?

Bollocks. I have none of those problems. I suspect this is just an excuse for you to flip your manic-button and begin your hate-on-Cook phase anew.
    Ah yes, the old "it's just you" response. Just because you don't have these issues doesn't mean no one does. You mustn't have been in the computer industry long because this is like a cliche of unhelpful tech geek responses on forums when people report problems.

One person's anecdotal report isn't enough to declare an absolute epidemic, but the reverse is still true.
    I support an entire family of iOS users, it’s not just me. Others have posted the same. The same anecdotal rule holds true — just because the usual suspects with their axes to grind claim a thing doesn’t make a thing. There are millions and millions and millions of iphones in the wild, if there were a true epidemic it would be a major issue. So even if there are some actual edges cases with unique circumstances causing a problem of some sort, it’s not the norm or even a big deal. 

This severe panick will fade and in a couple months nobody will be complaining anymore, as usual.
    edited September 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 116

dysamoria said:
    rob55 said:
    melgross said:
    What a bunch of crap. There were plenty of issues with Jobs. He presided over a lot of junk. He also ignored people’s complaints about it. Remember the round “puck” mouse for the iMac? That was all Jobs. The Cube’s problems? Jobs again. MobileMe? Yup! That’s just a few. If you want to blame Cook for issues, blame Jobs for the ones on his watch too.

and by the way, don’t refer him as though he’s still with us. 
    And let's not forget one of the most famous examples of him ignoring people's complaints, the infamous "You're holding it wrong!" during (so-called) Antenna-gate.

Don't get me wrong, a case quickly solved the signal attenuation problem, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there was a wee engineering oversight with the antenna on the iPhone 4. 
    Incorrect. As Jobs explained in the media event, the attenuation was the same as with other phones when deathgripped by a water-bag (your hand). ATT's carrier data showed no significant increase in call drops, it was just media hoopla over watching the bars go down. Go back and re-watch the event if you've forgotten:

...he shows at 18:45 that carrier data proved it dropped <1 % more often than the 3GS, and had 2/3s less returns than the 3GS, and while <1% was more than they'd like it to be, it showed the death grip signal attenuation wasnt actually a problem IRL.

The real proof? They continued to sell the original 4 unchanged for years to come. Sure newer models got even better, but the original 4 was fine and there was no real world issue, as proven by the carrier data and the sales data.
    All true. But Jobs' notorious reply to a customer was absolute garbage. "You're holding it wrong" is just blaming the user. It's not constructive at all. Different designs have better or worse attenuation. Apple chose the design, not the users.
    But his response was accurate. Don’t want to see the bars drop? Don’t death grip it. Again, the numbers don’t lie — in real life, the signal attenuation didn’t have a significant effect on dropped calls. It was just a neat party trick for youtubers and panick-mongers. 
    edited September 2017 fastasleep
  • Reply 84 of 116
    razorpit said:
    Are the battery issues as bad as what you read on other sites? I have a 6S+ and original Apple Watch. I want to upgrade, but can't afford to loose battery performance like some claim. The phone is not a big deal, I have times that it can charge, but the watch is obviously much more difficult to find a time and place to charge.
    I have had each version of the apple watch..i find the AW3 fine with regard to battery.  I am 8 hours invested in getting a cellular plan added to my watch from sprint.  Sprint has lied, been arrogant when stupidity challenged and made it up as they went along.  I hope tmobile does take over sprint..i have a feeling john legere will fire a whole lot of folks.  Nothing but nitwits and a——
  • Reply 85 of 116
    dysamoria said:

Maybe I've been lucky but have had zero issues with battery life on my iP7+, running iOS11.  It's the same as on iOS10, maybe even a bit better.  Just hope 11.0.1 fixes other bugs from the beta versions that weren't fixed in the 11.0 GM. 
    Well of course. Apple doesn't care to use their older devices. 
    This is just not true. My old devices such as the SE and iPad Mini 2 have got significant improvements after the update to iOS 11.0.1.

Did you know that Apple continued to update OS X 10.5 Leopard on PowerPC even several years after switch to Intel? Even the latest iTunes purchases work perfectly on the iBook G4 set-up as a cheap media server attached to an Apple TV 3. Apple is the only brand which provides the most longevity to its obsolete products.
    edited September 2017 pscooter63watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 86 of 116
    dysamoria said:

Maybe I've been lucky but have had zero issues with battery life on my iP7+, running iOS11.  It's the same as on iOS10, maybe even a bit better.  Just hope 11.0.1 fixes other bugs from the beta versions that weren't fixed in the 11.0 GM. 
    Well of course. Apple doesn't care to use their older devices. 
    This is just not true. My old devices such as the SE and iPad Mini 2 have got significant improvements after the update to iOS 11.0.1.

Did you know that Apple continued to update OS X 10.5 Leopard on PowerPC even several years after switch to Intel? Even the latest iTunes purchases work perfectly on the iBook G4 set-up as a cheap media server. Apple is the only brand which provides the most longevity to its obsolete products.
    Additionally, Apple devices have the longest useful lifespans in the industry. Some Android devices can never be upgraded after they’re released because they’re abandoned. Apple device lifespans are confirmed by the fact that they command the highest resale values — people are willing to spend their money on this.
    macseekerwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 87 of 116
    dysamoria said:
    rob55 said:
    melgross said:
    What a bunch of crap. There were plenty of issues with Jobs. He presided over a lot of junk. He also ignored people’s complaints about it. Remember the round “puck” mouse for the iMac? That was all Jobs. The Cube’s problems? Jobs again. MobileMe? Yup! That’s just a few. If you want to blame Cook for issues, blame Jobs for the ones on his watch too.

and by the way, don’t refer him as though he’s still with us. 
    And let's not forget one of the most famous examples of him ignoring people's complaints, the infamous "You're holding it wrong!" during (so-called) Antenna-gate.

Don't get me wrong, a case quickly solved the signal attenuation problem, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that there was a wee engineering oversight with the antenna on the iPhone 4. 
    Incorrect. As Jobs explained in the media event, the attenuation was the same as with other phones when deathgripped by a water-bag (your hand). ATT's carrier data showed no significant increase in call drops, it was just media hoopla over watching the bars go down. Go back and re-watch the event if you've forgotten:

...he shows at 18:45 that carrier data proved it dropped <1 % more often than the 3GS, and had 2/3s less returns than the 3GS, and while <1% was more than they'd like it to be, it showed the death grip signal attenuation wasnt actually a problem IRL.

The real proof? They continued to sell the original 4 unchanged for years to come. Sure newer models got even better, but the original 4 was fine and there was no real world issue, as proven by the carrier data and the sales data.
    All true. But Jobs' notorious reply to a customer was absolute garbage. "You're holding it wrong" is just blaming the user. It's not constructive at all. Different designs have better or worse attenuation. Apple chose the design, not the users.
    It didn’t expect such a bold statement from you as “You’re holding it wrong” is a blame put on the user by Steve Jobs. What he said was just an utterance of general truth: all the phones at that time were affected by the grip of the hand, as Apple has successfully proven with that video.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 88 of 116
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    tzeshan said:
    lkrupp said:
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:

I agree with you. Tim Cook failed on quality issues.  He spent so much energy on LGBT and DACA. Steve Jobs is a completely dedicated CEO. Once he was criticized for not donating to charities. He simply ignores the criticism. He does not play politics. Further, he knows numbers really well.  Many people have little interest in numbers therefore they do not understand what they mean. 
    Just take your “Steve is dead” bullshit somewhere else. And your politics too.
    As a legitimate buyer of iPhone 7 Plus, I am entitled to my opinions. Further, I hope Apple products can get better and better, so I can continue using them. 
    Even if you weren’t a "legitimate buyer of iPhone 7 Plus", you’d be entitled to your opinions. 

Just as others are entitled to the opinion that you’re spouting complete bullshit. It's something you have to deal with if you express your opinions, and they happen to be bullshit.
    pscooter63roundaboutnowPickUrPoisonfastasleep
  • Reply 89 of 116
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    sog35 said:
    razorpit said:
    sog35 said:

I sometimes have apps taking forever to open and rotation issues on iOS 10. Your battery life is really down by that much?

It is.

Usually at the end of day my battery is at 80%

Since I've installed iOS11 I'm below 50%
    Get it checked st a shop. Your battery might be cooked. 
  • Reply 90 of 116
    2stepbay said:
    sog35 said:

Yep...my 6plus has taken quite a dip in battery life, apps are slow to open, startup is slow, and app rendering is slow. Don't know if 11.0.1 addresses these things (sure would be nice for Apple to be transparent for a change), however, at the moment I'm not pleased about the 11 performance. BTW I'm posting from South Africa. 11.0.1 not yet available for download.
    Check your apps for the power sucker. Somebody doesn’t like the new OS: probably an app the developer hasn’t bothered to update. 

Happens with every OS, one reason to wait on the install especially if you’ve got some apps from smaller shops that drag their feet on updates. 
  • Reply 91 of 116
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

I am curious as to what bugs you are having and how you determined your battery life is that much worse. I have a 6 Plus 16GB work phone paired with a gen 1 apple watch and have noticed no determinable difference in battery life compared to 10.3.3. Nor have I experienced any additional bugs or quirkiness. This was an upgrade install as well as opposed to a clean install. The only issue I have had is a carry over from iOS 10 where Siri doesn't want to activate at times but as this issue seems to only happen with this phone and not my personal iphone 7 plus I am assuming its more of a phone issue than it is an OS issue.
    Some bugs I'm having:

1. On iTunes store I push song to purchase. The screen just freezes. Nothing happens. This happened several times.

2. Can access control center. Swipe up and nothing happens. Nothing. I had to restart the phone.

3. Safari freezes and is unresponsive. 

4. Screen rotation. Screen does not want to rotate to the right orientation. Had to close the app to make it work.

5. General lag in opening apps. ESPN app literally takes 5 seconds to open. Before it was less than a second.
    1. May be an iCloud issue related to authentication. If you’re able to repeat it then just report to Apple.
    2. The front application is badly programmed. Delete it. That issue is not new.
    3. A shitload of trackers and their huge Javascript make the site impossible to navigate. Stay away from badly programmed web sites.
    4. Then the issue is with the app.
    5. Apps not optimized for iOS 11.
    2. Delete control center? for real?

3. Sorry but I have adblock.  Safari is just slower now.

4. Nope. It happenned on several apps
    I will not go into tech-talk with you. What you need to know is just when one says “front application” you should understand this as “the currently active application”. How Control Center be the front application since you can’t access it? You can’t access it because the badly programmed active application prevents that.

4. The fact that it happens with several applications doesn’t make it a OS failure. Those applications may still not be optimized for iOS 11. If Apple releases iOS betas since one year this is not for amateurs fill the forums with FUD but primarily to allow developers optimize their apps. If this the Home screen that doesn’t switch you may feel free to scrutinize iOS and report that to Apple. But we know that the Home screen never had such a glitch. Then this the active app that delays the switch.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 92 of 116
    dysamoria said:
    foggyhill said:
    razorpit said:
    Are the battery issues as bad as what you read on other sites? I have a 6S+ and original Apple Watch. I want to upgrade, but can't afford to loose battery performance like some claim. The phone is not a big deal, I have times that it can charge, but the watch is obviously much more difficult to find a time and place to charge.
    What other site, the people hitching about battery life in the first 48h like every other day. I got the 6s and battery life isaok. Funny how you don’t hear about those whiners in bets despite hundred of thousands being involved. Because people in beta know not to whine in the first 48h unlike the dweebs.

if yoûre talking of that pos MacRumors site, I’d. Wager most people whining don’t actually own an iPhone...
    Right, blame the users instead of blaming Apple for a self-inflicted injury that comes EVERY release because Apple themselves don't address this issue!
    If it exists. In ten years of using Apple phones and supporting many family members I’ve yet to experience post upgrade ZOMG SUXORS! type problems. Never seen it. How can this be?
    It might be that they do the upgrade at a time when they're not planning to use the device much. Before bed, for example. On a weekend. Etc.
  • Reply 93 of 116

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

I am curious as to what bugs you are having and how you determined your battery life is that much worse. I have a 6 Plus 16GB work phone paired with a gen 1 apple watch and have noticed no determinable difference in battery life compared to 10.3.3. Nor have I experienced any additional bugs or quirkiness. This was an upgrade install as well as opposed to a clean install. The only issue I have had is a carry over from iOS 10 where Siri doesn't want to activate at times but as this issue seems to only happen with this phone and not my personal iphone 7 plus I am assuming its more of a phone issue than it is an OS issue.
    Some bugs I'm having:

1. On iTunes store I push song to purchase. The screen just freezes. Nothing happens. This happened several times.

2. Can access control center. Swipe up and nothing happens. Nothing. I had to restart the phone.

4. Screen rotation. Screen does not want to rotate to the right orientation. Had to close the app to make it work.

5. General lag in opening apps. ESPN app literally takes 5 seconds to open. Before it was less than a second.
    1. May be an iCloud issue related to authentication. If you’re able to repeat it then just report to Apple.
    3. A shitload of trackers and their huge Javascript make the site impossible to navigate. Stay away from badly programmed web sites.

I will not go into tech-talk with you. What you need to know is just when one says “front application” you should understand this as “the currently active application”. How Control Center be the front application since you can’t access it? You can’t access it because the badly programmed active application prevents that.
    Nope. I've seen it on the lock screen, on the home screen, in the settings app...
  • Reply 94 of 116
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I wish it was specified what bugs this was supposed to squash and what improvements 10.0.1 offers.
  • Reply 95 of 116
    dysamoria said:

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Some bugs I'm having:

Nope. I've seen it on the lock screen, on the home screen, in the settings app...
    Even with the minimum model that supports iOS 11, the weakest and oldest iPhone 5s with A7, the Control Center works perfectly in the cases you mention. Sorry I can’t take your anecdote as a fact.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 96 of 116
    dysamoria said:
    sog35 said:

Bollocks. I have none of those problems. I suspect this is just an excuse for you to flip your manic-button and begin your hate-on-Cook phase anew.
    Ah yes, the old "it's just you" response. Just because you don't have these issues doesn't mean no one does. You mustn't have been in the computer industry long because this is like a cliche of unhelpful tech geek responses on forums when people report problems.

One person's anecdotal report isn't enough to declare an absolute epidemic, but the reverse is still true.
    It does suggest, though, either a specific hardware or app issue rather than a widespread problem with the new OS. Solvable too. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 97 of 116
    macgui said:
    I wish it was specified what bugs this was supposed to squash and what improvements 10.0.1 offers.
    Perhaps in the release notes themselves?
  • Reply 98 of 116
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    sog35 said:

I do have worse battery life on iOS11 so far. However, none of the other issues you mention.

"Tim is really slipping. How do they even release such a half baked version of iOS?" - nice tanty.
  • Reply 99 of 116
    sog35 said:

Yep, had the same problem. It seems to be a common problem whenever I install the yearly upgrade. I performed several hard restarts and checked app CPU usage to disable anything I didn't need. Now, all is back to normal. Not sure if any of that fixed it but I also heard that after a major iOS update the phone re-indexes and does a bunch of other stuff in the background that will drain the battery until those processes are complete.
  • Reply 100 of 116
    Battery life on my iPhone SE has taken a hit and it’s even worse on my iPod Touch 128GB.