London's ex-mayor Boris Johnson pitched Apple on sponsoring the failed Garden Bridge proje...

Posted:
in General Discussion
While mayor of London, British politician Boris Johnson tried to sell Apple on sponsoring the ultimately abandoned Garden Bridge -- to which the company allegedly said it was willing, if it could have a store on the bridge itself.

Johnson launched a 24-hour "sales" mission to San Francisco in 2013, trying to persuade Apple to sponsor the entire project, The Independent said on Tuesday, citing transcripts of interviews with Johnson aides during a government review. The mayor was joined by deputy mayor for transport Isabel Dedring, and mayoral chief of staff Sir Edward Lister.

"The mayor felt there was a fair chance that Apple might actually sponsor the whole bridge... So we jumped on a plane," Sir Edward said in November 2016. "We were only there for 24 hours and flew back again. We went there, we talked through it all... It was, 'We do this, we call it the Apple Bridge and you pay for it, chum'. It was a real sales operation to try and sell it."

The London delegation felt the idea of a store on the bridge "was not going to be acceptable," he added.

"Then there was the idea you could build a retail store on Temple [Tube] Station, which was not mad at all. But it then transpired it wasn't really a possibility."

Sir Edward argued that Johnson's group should have brought actress Joanna Lumley, a major promoter of the Garden Bridge, saying that "she could have worked her wonder on them [Apple]."

Current London mayor Sadiq Khan withdrew support for the Garden Bridge in April, following the review's observation that estimated construction costs had ballooned from 60 million pounds to 200 million. By then, 37.4 million pounds in taxpayer funds had already been spent on preliminary work -- underwriting the cancellation is expected to take the final tally to 46.4 million. The charity that was set to build and run the structure, the Garden Bridge Trust, formally ended its efforts in August.

Had it been built, the pedestrian bridge would have spanned the River Thames and been lined with vegetation end-to-end. An Apple store in the middle would have disrupted this, but might've fit with the company's own tendencies to use natural elements, such as the groves at Apple Park.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    As Apple had stated back then, Apple doesn't sponsor. So London wouldn't let Apple have their store and now the project is dead. Send Sadiq Khan over to Apple park and see what they could have had.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    How odd. A project with no benefit for Apple yet they wanted Apple to pay for it. 
    anton zuykovjbdragonchia
  • Reply 3 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Tim Cook:  "Sure we'll contribute in addition to us having a store on that bridge".
    Mayor: "Well, we can't have a store on it.  We just want you to pay for the bridge".
    Tim Cook: *silence*
    Mayor: *silence and awkward smile*
    Tim Cook: *silence*
    Mayor: We'll let ourselves out.

Stupid politicians.  Taxpayers should demand their money back.
    fotoformatvukasikalongpathravnorodompembrokeStrangeDayschiacalitundraboy
  • Reply 4 of 25
    This is why tarring and feathering politicians should should still be an option..... (says the guy who like in the country that elected Trump).....
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Millions wasted for what?.  Then ballooning in costs?. Yep, typical government project.  Smart of Apple to not get involved what that money pit.

gregg thurman
  • Reply 6 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Landon Mayor and his staff got a free trip to San Francisco. Could have saved money with simple conference call.
    StrangeDaysjbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 25
    xbitxbit Posts: 390member
    Boris Johnson is such a clown. £37 million wasted on a bridge that was never built and that was never really feasible.

It's an embarrassment that he's now foreign secretary.
    singularityoseamefracjbdragonchia
  • Reply 8 of 25
    It doesn't sound totally crazy to me (not counting project bloat).

Consider their iconic Apple Cube in New York City.

Apple likes an iconic store in an iconic location, even at sky-high rental prices.

This is just a (very expensive) extension of that.

Apple might have seen it as "Guys, we can get a store IN the Thames River!  With a beautiful natural approach on each side."

Even if it was $250million to get it going (not counting $-bloat), the whole thing might have tempted them from a brand-management perspective.

This would be as cool (cooler?) version of the glass cube, but in London.

I can see Apple taking the meeting.

And if they got the store, I assume the next items for discussion would be:

If the agreed prices blows up, we need guarantees we're not on the hook for the rest, but SOMEone is.
    Who designs/manages the vegetation on each approach?  (it must be insanely-great forever).

Cool idea, to talk about at least.  Then real-life killed it.

E.
    d_2
  • Reply 9 of 25
    vukasika said:
    This is why tarring and feathering politicians should should still be an option..... (says the guy who like in the country that elected Trump).....
    How about educating yourself and not electing certain type politicians, instead of punishing THEM for being stupid yourself? That is kind of ironic, isn't it?
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 10 of 25
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    No problem. Samsung will do it.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    Hey, I want to put Apple store on the moon, but Apple needs to sponsor my idea if this works next one I will put on Mars. No idea if anyone will come but what a fun idea that is, can you agree?
    cali
  • Reply 12 of 25
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    xbit said:
    Boris Johnson is such a clown. £37 million wasted on a bridge that was never built and that was never really feasible.

It's an embarrassment that he's now foreign secretary.
    we desperately need another Spitting Image. 

chia
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Beware the politician pushing grandiose public projects, having no long term economic value to the people destined to pay for them.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    jd_in_sb said:
    How odd. A project with no benefit for Apple yet they wanted Apple to pay for it. 
    What do you expect. They see a RICH American company's, they can sue them again trying to get a bunch of money that way, or in a more friendly manner, ask pretty please. Here's a Idea, how about asking their own rich tech company's over there,...Oh wait,......
  • Reply 15 of 25
    It doesn't sound totally crazy to me (not counting project bloat).

Consider their iconic Apple Cube in New York City.

Apple likes an iconic store in an iconic location, even at sky-high rental prices.

This is just a (very expensive) extension of that.

Apple might have seen it as "Guys, we can get a store IN the Thames River!  With a beautiful natural approach on each side."

Even if it was $250million to get it going (not counting $-bloat), the whole thing might have tempted them from a brand-management perspective.

This would be as cool (cooler?) version of the glass cube, but in London.

I can see Apple taking the meeting.

And if they got the store, I assume the next items for discussion would be:

If the agreed prices blows up, we need guarantees we're not on the hook for the rest, but SOMEone is.
    Who designs/manages the vegetation on each approach?  (it must be insanely-great forever).

Cool idea, to talk about at least.  Then real-life killed it.

E.
    Those Iconic Apple locations all are Apple Stores including that ICONIC Cube as it has stairs going down into the Apple Store. They didn't want a Apple store at this Garden bridge, I don't see how Apple would have ever been involved. Waste of time and Taxpayers money. On the other hand, great way to get a free trip to the U.S. on taxpayers dime.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Surprised Boris didn’t show up with his big red bus of lies, TBH...
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I'm sure Jony knows all about and despises the kind of lying self-aggrandizing Tory buffoon that Boris Johnson is and quickly set Tim straight even before Bojo the Clown got on the plane.
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 25
    john.b said:
    Surprised Boris didn’t show up with his big red bus of lies, TBH...
    Well, when he gets that 350 million pounds a week that he promised, then the Tories should be able to afford his bridge of dreams.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I agree that an Apple Store on the middle of something like this would have been icky.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    jd_in_sb said:
    You are aware what Apple wanted right? No benefit? Crazy you’d think this.
    edited September 2017