KGI: iPhone 8 sales in line with expectations, analysts overplay short Apple store lines

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Read some of the Macalope’s articles over at MacWorld. His latest features a tech blogger declaring the Pixel will finally kill off the iPhone.
    What??!! If true it's plainly ridiculous to even think that much less print it. He may be a blogger but certainly not one that knows much about tech. Always gotta be one of there for flame fanning. The only company out there with the power to kill the iPhone is Apple themselves, and that ain't happinin'.

EDIT: Having now read the source article the headline doesn't match what it says in the body copy. The headline was typical clickbaiting. A moot point anyway since what the author presumed could happen vis a vis Google and HTC did not.
    And by the way, Mr. Google, it has been announced this morning that Google has begun blocking video to Amazon’s Echo Show ostensibly because it doesn’t meet Google’s criteria, much like Amazon itself did when they dropped the ATV from their stores.  Amazon is countering that there is no technical reason Google cannot support the Echo Show and alleges skullduggery on Google’s part. Me thinks there’s skullduggery here. Care to Comment?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,087member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Read some of the Macalope’s articles over at MacWorld. His latest features a tech blogger declaring the Pixel will finally kill off the iPhone.
    What??!! If true it's plainly ridiculous to even think that much less print it. He may be a blogger but certainly not one that knows much about tech. Always gotta be one of there for flame fanning. The only company out there with the power to kill the iPhone is Apple themselves, and that ain't happinin'.

EDIT: Having now read the source article the headline doesn't match what it says in the body copy. The headline was typical clickbaiting. A moot point anyway since what the author presumed could happen vis a vis Google and HTC did not.
    And by the way, Mr. Google, it has been announced this morning that Google has begun blocking video to Amazon’s Echo Show ostensibly because it doesn’t meet Google’s criteria, much like Amazon itself did when they dropped the ATV from their stores.  Amazon is countering that there is no technical reason Google cannot support the Echo Show and alleges skullduggery on Google’s part. Me thinks there’s skullduggery here. Care to Comment?
    You could ask without the name-calling. It's childish and trolling.

Also mentioned is that the two have been in contract discussion for several months so far, but Google and Amazon are fundamentally disagreeing on how YouTube links should be presented, and others believe it may have to do too with subscriptions and following links to other YouTube content. I assume you read that part at whatever site you were reading. Variety did a pretty fair assessment without placing blame on either party. You can read it here.
    http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/echo-show-youtube-blocked-1202574139/

edited September 2017
  • Reply 23 of 47
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    avon b7 said:
    As a non shareholder and non Apple executive, I don't care about how many 8 series phones have been sold or the ASP or the share price.

The most important thing is to move more units overall, as the bigger base of active hardware will provide a bigger base to feed off with extra services.

It also helps when it comes to services that require negotiation with third parties. The bigger your installed base, the bigger your leverage.

Right now we are seeing the biggest product and price spread in Apple's handset business, ever.

The lower your budget, the older the hardware you get (or smaller screen) but at least you now have many options on price. It's a reasonable first step and allows Apple to squeeze the most out of their product investments.

I dumped iPhones for the lack of a nice spread on product and price options. No doubt this new move will help retain some users who are in the same situation as I was.

As long as they sell units in larger quantities, factoring out the impact of the supercycle, they will reap the benefits even if the ASP comes down. I doesn't matter if the 8 series is not as successful as the 6 or 7 series. What counts is the global picture because now, that picture is bigger than ever.

Wall Street and shareholders might not be happy but users and the platform itself will.
    For someone who thinks they are very smart, you show a FUNDAMENTAL misunderstanding Apple's business model, its product focus, its goals, how it makes money, and how it has the largest cash flow of any company on earth.
    tmayStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Suggestion for a follow on article: compare street prices of the iPhone vs. time from release. Compare to stock price. Might be revealing. Apple now has a portfolio of iPhones, more choices than ever. Carrier subsidies have changed bigly, but price of a new iPhone drops significantly after launch day. The same might be true of iPad and Apple Watch sales.

Might be interesting to see some data. 
  • Reply 25 of 47
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

bobby88 said:
    Quite easy to say sales are within expectations but the fact that there were virtually no queues outside most stores on launch day and Apple store dispatch times have never gone past two weeks show how different the 8 launch has been to any previous iPhone launch. All guesswork of course as nobody outside of Apple production knows to what level production is being set at but still seems a bit odd to produce two flagship phones knowing that most will see the X as the actual flagship. Maybe would have been better to have an X and 8 without the plus so there’s a differentiation
    I have never understood why, when actual data is lacking, some people (maybe it is the majority) always assume the worst with, despite ample historical evidence to the contrary.  

Does Apple normally provide revenue guidance that is aggressive, and as such often miss their guidance with actuals?  Was Apple just waking up now and thinking "hey, did we mistakenly make two flagships - what were we doing"?  Maybe they should not have made the 8+, despite the 7+ really gaining momentum with its new dual camera and people coming to be more comfortable with larger phones (and 7+ driving the ASP growth)?

Maybe....just maybe...Apple has some insight into the iPhone user base (not everyone is an 'upgrade to the latest and greatest even if it means a wait' person), and felt that an updated 4.7" and 5.5" (with some quite good update features in their own right, especially against the 6/6s lines) would sell well.  Especially over the longer term.  So maybe, as this article states, sales are going (at least somewhat) as Apple planned for.  Not as good as the iPhone 7 last year, but as planned, given a large number of those that buy right away were likely to go for the X.

Maybe Apple's Q4 will not be great, but in the grand scheme of things (thinking of a full fiscal year 2018), I think Apple has their best ever product lineup (almost every single product has been updated in last 6 months, and HomePod still to come).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 47
    bobby88 said:
    Quite easy to say sales are within expectations but the fact that there were virtually no queues outside most stores on launch day 
    That is meaningless. I get every flagship day of launch and have never stood in line -- that's what the internet is for. And the flagship sells out in minutes. We'll see the same with the X this year.

But FYI despite online inventory for the 8, it's not in my state's stores.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    brucemc said:
    avon b7 said:
    As a non shareholder and non Apple executive, I don't care about how many 8 series phones have been sold or the ASP or the share price.

The most important thing is to move more units overall, as the bigger base of active hardware will provide a bigger base to feed off with extra services.

It also helps when it comes to services that require negotiation with third parties. The bigger your installed base, the bigger your leverage.

Right now we are seeing the biggest product and price spread in Apple's handset business, ever.

The lower your budget, the older the hardware you get (or smaller screen) but at least you now have many options on price. It's a reasonable first step and allows Apple to squeeze the most out of their product investments.

I dumped iPhones for the lack of a nice spread on product and price options. No doubt this new move will help retain some users who are in the same situation as I was.

As long as they sell units in larger quantities, factoring out the impact of the supercycle, they will reap the benefits even if the ASP comes down. I doesn't matter if the 8 series is not as successful as the 6 or 7 series. What counts is the global picture because now, that picture is bigger than ever.

Wall Street and shareholders might not be happy but users and the platform itself will.
    For someone who thinks they are very smart, you show a FUNDAMENTAL misunderstanding Apple's business model, its product focus, its goals, how it makes money, and how it has the largest cash flow of any company on earth.
    I dont think that people who think they know Apple's model know Apple's model. They are interested in growth. In markets where they cant really compete with lower end devices, or have failed ( remember the Mac mini) they will take profits and revenue from the top end only. Where they can align market share, and massive profits, like iPod the will do that. For the iPhone, they have played mostly in the high end ( now the high middle end), but are experimenting with lower priced models and higher priced models. For the iPad they have moved up the pricing chain as the growth in tablets stalled but they did try the mini.

Apple do care about market share, they mention it where they can. They are in a position to go after the middle tier of smart phones IMO, and most importantly for them this will continue to bolster service revenue. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 28 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

I can't speak for him, but I assumed he meant Mr. Google as in an honorary title -- seeing as you are the local Google advocate. Not an insult, right? You *are* the local Google guy here, no? If you now say you aren't I'd be quite confused after years of reading your perspective to the contrary.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 47

sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

"The most important thing is to move more units overall, as the bigger base of active hardware will provide a bigger base to feed off with extra services."

this is absolute and 100% bunk.

The most important thing is NOT market share for Apple. That is flatout ridiculous.  Focusing on market share is a race to the bottom.  Apple will not sell JUNK just to increase unit sales.

Go look at Xiaomi.  Once the 'Apple Killer' now is in the dumps.  Xiaomi like many other Android sellers focus on unit sales.
    It's like the knockoff people can't or won't understand that Apple's model is not that of the knockoffs. "Netbooks! Apple needs netbooks!"
    neil andersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

I can't speak for him, but I assumed he meant Mr. Google as in an honorary title -- seeing as you are the local Google advocate. Not an insult, right? You *are* the local Google guy here, no? If you now say you aren't I'd be quite confused after years of reading your perspective to the contrary.
    I'm as much the local Google rep here as you are the official spokesperson for Apple. :)

With that said why is this suddenly a discussion about Google? Who brought them into an Apple-specific thread and why would you encourage even more distraction from the topic by continuing on that line? 
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 31 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

I'm as much the local Google rep here as you are the official spokesperson for Apple. :)
    This is an Apple site, as an Apple guy I come here to comment on Apple content. Often after events (keynotes, product launches) the site is inundated with amateur trolls who don't understand Apple or have really poorly thought out ideas. It's effortless to point out the flaws in these weak positions (ex: "Apple software has bugs so quality is slipping! Steve Jobs would never have bugs!" etc...). That doesn't make me an Apple spokesperson, it just makes me somebody can can correctly identify very poor assertions.

Now, you'll notice I didn't say "Google rep" which implies employment. I said you're a Google guy in the same way that I'm an Apple guy (someone who has and uses and enjoys Apple products). I stand by that assertion because your long history of posts establishes that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 47
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,238member
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

"The most important thing is to move more units overall, as the bigger base of active hardware will provide a bigger base to feed off with extra services."

The most important thing is NOT market share for Apple. That is flatout ridiculous.  Focusing on market share is a race to the bottom.  Apple will not sell JUNK just to increase unit sales.

Go look at Xiaomi.  Once the 'Apple Killer' now is in the dumps.  Xiaomi like many other Android sellers focus on unit sales.
    Data shows that Apple iPhone sales continue to grow at the same rate, over time, and that ASP continues at about $650 plus the rate of inflation. I've had people here tell me that it is "common knowledge" that Apple's iPhone sales rate is slowing, but the trend line data does not show that. If there's a slump, then it's followed by a supercycle, but it all follows the same trend line.

You almost want to believe that Apple is fine tuning its product line to accomplish that.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

This is an Apple site, as an Apple guy I come here to comment on Apple content. Often after events (keynotes, product launches) the site is inundated with amateur trolls who don't understand Apple or have really poorly thought out ideas. It's effortless to point out the flaws in these weak positions (ex: "Apple software has bugs so quality is slipping! Steve Jobs would never have bugs!" etc...). That doesn't make me an Apple spokesperson, it just makes me somebody can can correctly identify very poor assertions.

Now, you'll notice I didn't say "Google rep" which implies employment. I said you're a Google guy in the same way that I'm an Apple guy (someone who has and uses and enjoys Apple products). I stand by that assertion because your long history of posts establishes that. 
    And you still want to mention Google in an Apple-specific thread, while at the same time complaining about references to Google on an Apple fan forum. Interesting disconnect....
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 34 of 47
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

Also mentioned is that the two have been in contract discussion for several months so far, but Google and Amazon are fundamentally disagreeing on how YouTube links should be presented, and others believe it may have to do too with subscriptions and following links to other YouTube content. I assume you read that part at whatever site you were reading. Variety did a pretty fair assessment without placing blame on either party. You can read it here.
    http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/echo-show-youtube-blocked-1202574139/

But if the ‘name’ fits why not use it?
  • Reply 35 of 47

gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    lkrupp said:

With that said why is this suddenly a discussion about Google? Who brought them into an Apple-specific thread and why would you encourage even more distraction from the topic by continuing on that line? 
    Because you’re in this thread and you are the resident Google “Guy” here, so it was perfectly fitting to divert the thread temporarily to hear the Google Defense statement which you so kindly provided. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 47
    *sigh...*
    To quote @StrangeDays ; : That doesn't make me a Google spokesperson, it just makes me somebody who can correctly identify very poor assertions.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 37 of 47
    tmay said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

Data shows that Apple iPhone sales continue to grow at the same rate, over time, and that ASP continues at about $650 plus the rate of inflation. I've had people here tell me that it is "common knowledge" that Apple's iPhone sales rate is slowing, but the trend line data does not show that. If there's a slump, then it's followed by a supercycle, but it all follows the same trend line.

You almost want to believe that Apple is fine tuning its product line to accomplish that.
    you really don't understand graphs or trend lines.
    edited September 2017
  • Reply 38 of 47
    tmay said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:

The trend line I've seen shows unit sales growth stagnated after the release of the iPhone 6.  Every year from 2007 to 2014 had significant growth.  Sure, some years were higher than others but even in the S update years growth was still in the double digits.  The last three years have been relatively level at right around 225 million every year.  Even looking at revenue it is obvious the growth rate has slowed a lot since the last big jump with the release of the iPhone 6.  ASP has gone up some, but nowhere near enough to offset the stagnant unit sales.

Maybe the X will turn things around, but I haven't seen data that indicates anything but slowing growth in both units and revenue since the September 30, 2014 quarter end.
    asdasd
  • Reply 39 of 47

If people think that Apple wants to keep ASP at about mid $600s this year then it has to sell significantly more lower priced models, given the supposed pre orders for the X. Selling the same number of 8 and X devices, as were sold of the 7 series last year, will otherwise push that price materially higher. 

ASP on its own butters no parsnips, by the way,   a company could sell one device at $10,000 and go bust. 

edited September 2017
  • Reply 40 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Funny how the knockoffs don’t get mentioned for having literally 0 people in line for them but are somehow destroying Apple. 
    pscooter63watto_cobra