APFS in High Sierra causing problems for Unity Engine, Cities: Skylines, Civilization V, m...

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    edred said:
    SimCity Complete Edition has problems in High Sierra too. The game launches fine but crashes after a few minutes.
    I could be wrong but I am pretty sure I had major issues with SimCity in Sierra.  It's why I searched for other sims and discovered Cities Skylines which is IMHO far better away by the way.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 42 of 44
    jorgesanchezknjorgesanchezkn Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Call me a hater if you want, but all of these firms had access to the beta releases of High Sierra. There is no excuse and/or reason as to why these bugs are still present in the public release when they had months to work them out. Yes, coding is hard. That's not a good enough excuse for game-breaking bugs to still be present. Apple warned everyone of the impending changes with 32bit, Metal 2 and APFS, these "firms" decided they would start work the day High Sierra was released. At the very least, they should have began testing with beta versions, since coding finished products on unfinished OS's isn't good either. However, instead, the players, who's money they already took, get screwed out of months of game time for updates they should have had mostly completed by now. Then, Paradox Interactive says they won't be pushing an update "until the next version of Cities Skylines." WTF?! When the hell is that going to be? Screw Bootcamp, I would have just bought a $1000 PC and had better game performance from the jump. Severely disappointed with High Sierra. This has to be one of the most rough Mac software releases I've ever seen from Apple. The login screen crashes to black, Mac can't wake properly, etc etc this just keeps going and going. Time to wipe MacOS and install Solus.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Call me a hater if you want, but all of these firms had access to the beta releases of High Sierra. There is no excuse and/or reason as to why these bugs are still present in the public release when they had months to work them out. Yes, coding is hard. That's not a good enough excuse for game-breaking bugs to still be present. Apple warned everyone of the impending changes with 32bit, Metal 2 and APFS, these "firms" decided they would start work the day High Sierra was released. At the very least, they should have began testing with beta versions, since coding finished products on unfinished OS's isn't good either. However, instead, the players, who's money they already took, get screwed out of months of game time for updates they should have had mostly completed by now. Then, Paradox Interactive says they won't be pushing an update "until the next version of Cities Skylines." WTF?! When the hell is that going to be? Screw Bootcamp, I would have just bought a $1000 PC and had better game performance from the jump. Severely disappointed with High Sierra. This has to be one of the most rough Mac software releases I've ever seen from Apple. The login screen crashes to black, Mac can't wake properly, etc etc this just keeps going and going. Time to wipe MacOS and install Solus.
    I'm confused. Who are you blaming?
  • Reply 44 of 44
    Why upgrade at this point?  Given the issues with the initial release, and even with the pending 10.13.1 update, I am still very hesitant to upgrade.  Also, there is nothing I absolutely must have in High Sierra.  Sierra suits my needs just fine.  And two of my critical third party apps, Tech Tool Pro and the Logitech Control Center software for my Logitech mice, do not have upgrades available yet for High Sierra compatibility.

When I do "upgrade", I will first do a one last SuperDuper! backup of my current system, boot my Mac from that backup, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format my internal drive (I have SSDs in both of my Macs), then do a fresh, clean, "virgin" installation of OS 10.13.whatever, and finally use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy needed stuff from the backup.  Of course by that time, I would insured that all my third party software is compatible with High Sierra.