Google announces $999 Pixelbook touchscreen hybrid notebook, optional $99 pen accessory

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    macxpress said:

sog35 said:
    A $1000 Netbook?  LOKOOLOLOLOOLOOLOLOLOLOLOOOLLLLL!!!

These dreamers at Google think they can charge Apple level pricing 
    That's like saying the iPad Pro is a $1000 netbook (once you add apple's keyboard cover) but we know that's not the case.  This device is going right after the 12.9" iPad Pro.  From a feature / price perspective, it's right where it should be.  I don't care for ChromeOS but I do like the 2-in-1 form factor Google has designed here, even better than MS' Surface Book, in my opinion.  This is the type of form factor I'd like to see the iPad Pro evolve into => a 2-in-1 iOS device
    Sorry but unless its anything other than a $200 ChromeBook with a we'll call it slightly better touchscreen then the iPad will run circles around this. ChromeOS is very limited, especially compared to iOS and macOS. 

I don't really see how you can constantly compete on price with a $200 device and then all of a sudden create a $1000 device and think you can compete in the space. I believe the perception might be that its just $800 more than what a $200 ChromeBook can do. 
    Clearly both Google and Microsoft are targeting Apple not their OEMs. The hardware is expensive because If it wasn’t it would be labeled cheap garbage. And since neither are hardware companies from a business model perspective they can afford to have more expensive products because the goal isn’t to sell a lot.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 22 of 44
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    No mention of what OS this runs?
    I would have to assume it's running ChromeOS with some type of browser plug-in to support pens.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    sog35 said:

Can app developers develop on this thing?
    No. But then again, app developers can't develop on a 12.9" iPad Pro either, which is what this Pixel Book is competing with.
    I wonder what’s preventing Apple from bringing Xcode to iPad Pro?
    Steve Jobs Management 101.  "Focus on Saying 'No'"
    People think focus means saying yes to the thing you've got to focus on. But that's not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I'm actually as proud of the things we haven't done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying "no" to 1,000 things.

It's probably 100staff years (200 person team 6 months) to do it.   xCode is a massive set of scripts, apps, compilers would need to be migrated and tested, with a whole new UI paradigm (pencils and touch... no mouse).   At 200K per team member (total cost of comp/bennies, space, perqs, etc), that's 20,000,000.    
    to do what, sell say, 200,000 MORE devices to developers every 2 years years, at say, $1000 piece (and $400 profit)  80,000,000 'profit' (4X ROI first year, maybe 8X) 2nd year onward.  

They can spend less and dedicate that smaller team to build better, faster MacOS xCode so Mac built apps are better for all platforms (better compilers, tighter code, more efficient operations, more developer enhancements etc....) Remember when they diverted all sorts of MacOS skills to improve iOS... that level of expertise [all in house] dedicated to a migration comes at a price of 'opportunity costs' [delay to market for functions put off until the migration is done].  

Or those skills can be used to build better iOS/watchOS/tvOS apps, potentially selling millions of systems for a killer app/feature (how many millions of iPhone Xs will be sold over the next 2 years, just for anamoji iMessages?).   

Either way better for the buyers.

Google's platform is chromeOS.  you don't see them trying to do Development with Android. They need an in-house 'dogfooded' development platform.
    Apple already has one.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 24 of 44
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    I'm not using ChromeOS, I have used it on other people's Chromebooks, but I would not call it CrapOS. It's definitely forward-looking, and starting something from scratch, slowly building it up over time into something useful, without past compatibility baggage. You don't see that everyday. I call Windows 10 a crap OS. I had the "pleasure" of helping a friend with his Windows 10 laptop, and for some reason unknown, for no reason apparent, the disk usage keeps getting to 100%, where you have to go disable prefetch and other under-the-hood stuff. Also, when you remove apps, does not automatically remove them from the start menu, you have to manually access the folder in Explorer and remove them from there. Such a bad experience... Reminded me why I still use Apple, imperfect as it is.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    If this is meant to be a Benchmark standard for partner devices, they're a bit behind their partners. Samsung already makes a very similar product for much less money.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/chromebooks/12-14/samsung-chromebook-pro-xe510c24-k01us/

cornchip
  • Reply 26 of 44
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:

Dreamer!  Very appropriate! Excellent choice of word!
  • Reply 27 of 44
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    sog35 said:

That's like saying the iPad Pro is a $1000 netbook (once you add apple's keyboard cover) but we know that's not the case.  This device is going right after the 12.9" iPad Pro.  From a feature / price perspective, it's right where it should be.  I don't care for ChromeOS but I do like the 2-in-1 form factor Google has designed here, even better than MS' Surface Book, in my opinion.  This is the type of form factor I'd like to see the iPad Pro evolve into => a 2-in-1 iOS device
    No it's not the iPad hat is the target, at least not directly. The MS Surface and other hybrid laptops are its target, particularly schools. I think a HP x360 pro is a much superior device to this.
    An iPad Pro is a different device, as it doesn't have a huge keyboard attached..agree that there is a lot of low hanging ways Apple could do to make the iPad/iOS combination a true laptop replacement though, and it is starting to get to the power levels needed..
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 28 of 44
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    This is going to be a very popular product with literally dozens of consumers. 
    cornchipGG1anton zuykovrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I'm having a hard time trying to figure out who would actually pay money for one of these things when there are so many far more versatile and/or cost effective options available, from MacBooks to iPad Pros to Surface devices to cheap ChromeBooks, each of which has a far richer application and accessory marketplace available to choose from or is offered at a disposable price point. Two pound heft, tethering, 10-hour battery, touch, flip screen, high-res, ... all well established and virtually commodity features for anything in the kilobuck range over the past several years. It's like Google feels compelled to mimic Apple but can't quite remember why they do it. Nothing they've shown is inspiring or compelling in any way. They must be bored and need to keep their staff busy with make-work projects.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    jbdragon said:
    with some type of browser plug-in to support pens.
    Sounds fantastic...
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
  • Reply 32 of 44
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    I assume this is running ChromeOS. 
    Correct. It runs ChromeOS
    Does ChromeOS still require a persistent internet connection to be useful?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    GG1 said:
    That's like asking do you still beat your dog. :) 

It never was useless without an internet connection, but yes it is more useful now without one than it once was. Obviously tho Chrome OS is designed for a connected experience rather than off-line use. 
    edited October 2017 GG1
  • Reply 34 of 44
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    gatorguy said:
    GG1 said:
    That's like asking do you still beat your dog. :) 

It never was useless without an internet connection, but yes it is more useful now without one than it once was. Obviously tho Chrome OS is designed for a connected experience rather than off-line use. 
    Haha. Thanks.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    I'd never buy from Google. Unfortunately, you are the product when you use a Google product.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 44
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Google had some interesting commits on Github around running GNU/Linux with a Wayland interface without Chroot or any dual booting. Now that would make it far more appealing. 

Limited OS aside, the hardware certainly does match the 999 price, and I'm not sure what in Apples line people are saying makes it apple pricing tbf, the base Macbook is 1300, not 999. If it could run other Linux distros with native drivers, it could be worth that. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 44
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    entropys said:
    sog35 said:

No it's not the iPad hat is the target, at least not directly. The MS Surface and other hybrid laptops are its target, particularly schools. I think a HP x360 pro is a much superior device to this.
    An iPad Pro is a different device, as it doesn't have a huge keyboard attached..agree that there is a lot of low hanging ways Apple could do to make the iPad/iOS combination a true laptop replacement though, and it is starting to get to the power levels needed..
    I would rather have the Surface Pro (even with old USB typeA).  The SP is much lighter than this 2.45 lb chromebook.  As a tablet it's not anything I would want to hold and its no where near the iPadPro.  If you like the 2-1 form factor look into the Porsche design laptop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    entropys said:
    sog35 said:

"The MS Surface and other hybrid laptops are its target, particularly schools."

If schools catering to K to 12 students can't afford Macs, there's no way they can afford premium devices like the Surface or this PixelBook that's just introduced.  Given the pricing, it's aimed right at university / college students or working professionals.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    k2kw said:
    entropys said:
    sog35 said:

I would rather have the Surface Pro (even with old USB typeA).  The SP is much lighter than this 2.45 lb chromebook.  As a tablet it's not anything I would want to hold and its no where near the iPadPro.  If you like the 2-1 form factor look into the Porsche design laptop.
    I don't know why anyone would want to use a shitty Surface Pro. These have got to be the biggest overpriced pieces of shit ever made in quite some time. For a similar price you can get a Mac that runs circles around it...
    edited October 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 44
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    macxpress said:
    k2kw said:
    entropys said:
    sog35 said:

I don't know why anyone would want to use a shitty Surface Pro. These have got to be the biggest overpriced pieces of shit ever made in quite some time. For a similar price you can get a Mac that runs circles around it...
    People who buy Surface Pro devices do so because they want a tablet that can run desktop-class apps, not a tablet that runs mobile apps.  Not that there's anything wrong with the latter.