Apple and the future of photography in Depth: iPhone 8 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46

It’s difficult to say this is one of your best articles, Dan.  Because almost all are excellent and many many levels above and beyond what pretty much anyone else out there writes.  But I found this one especially clarifying.  Just excellent work.
    Thanks! That's nice to hear. 
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 46
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    jeromec said:
    I quite disagree with Daniel this time, regarding the Pixel 2's camera. If it works well for bokeh, then it is a smart implementation. It would be nice to have portrait mode on non-plus iPhone 7 and 8. But we'll have to wait to see if it works well. Google's track record for new features is far from perfect and it seems they really wanted to do this, so they probably would have implemented it even with so-so quality. THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE FORMATTING THAT REMOVES ALL MY PARAGRAPH BREAKS.
    The article doesn't say the Pixel 2 isn't "smart," it points out that even if single camera Portrait mode works well for photos, it may not work for depth video, does not attempt to do (as demonstrated) effects like Portrait Lighting, and obviously can't do optical zoom or other real lens effects.

There are already apps that can create a fake bokeh effect on photos, but when you fake optical zoom (digitally), image quality goes down rapidly. Google addressed one feature of the dual camera 7 Plus without taking about the other advantages. Sure, compared to the standard 7 the Pixel 2 has a unique feature. But it's also nearly the same price, slower, looks cheap, and won't get similar app support because Pixel is a tiny figment of phone market share. Developers will target generic Android, and will ship adware not high quality paid apps.
    Apple came to a fork in the road years ago and took it, as have most of the Android OEM's. Google hasn't, publicly yet, but kudos to them for getting the maximum performance out of a single imager. Still, I'd personally take the iPhone's imaging and video feature set over the Pixel 2's.

The future is multi-sensor, and it's an easy prediction that Google will be there next year with the Pixel 3, and maybe they'll again take the dxomark crown. That's competition.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    Hard to believe that the lowly Pixel beats the iPhone camera again.

Come on Tim.  You have billions. YOu should EASILY beat every camera on the market.

Yet DXO has the Pixel2 a higher rating than the 8 Plus.
    Apple stock is down $1 today, so Sog35 is predictably shitting his pants and trolling thread after thread. 

PS- Google has billions too, you moron. 
    Apple stock is up $1.50 today and I sold ALL of my shares.

Losing to the Pixel2 camera was the last straw.

Sure Google has billions, but making phones is a hobby for them. Yet their hobby phone still beat the iPhone camera.  That his embarrassing and disappointing.
    You sold all your Apple stock because of ONE 3rd party ranking of a camera that is irrelevant to 99.99% of people, "won" by a phone that won't sell even a shred of a fraction of what the iPhone sales? 

If that's true, you're an even bigger joke and a bigger clown that I ever envisioned, if that's even possible. But, it's just as likely that you're just a massive liar. 
    edited October 2017 RonnnieOtmayGG1doozydozenStrangeDayswatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 24 of 46
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

polymnia said:
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Come on Tim.  You have billions. YOu should EASILY beat every camera on the market.

I think it wouldn’t be a stretch to say that Apple is being compared to others on a set of criteria and tests that don’t really plumb the depths of what’s going on.  Daniel’s illumination regarding how the Pixel does brokah effects versus iPhone is a good example.  Apple is about applying technology to build foundational capabilities, whereas their competition is about following along which a checklist.  “Yup, we’ve got that feature too.  Check!”  

But, of course, you know this, right?  You’re the one who always knows better than Tim Cook.  
    that little jab at the end was not necessary. That's below what a moderator should be
    I didn’t ask to be a moderator.  I’ll continue calling em as I see em, even if my status is revoked.  No skin off my back.  
    The jab was completely justified because he does think he knows better than Tim Cook. If he doesn’t like being called out on it then why’s he on the internet?
    My original post said nothing of the sort.
    I didn’t say you said so in this thread.  It’s a view that comes across when reading your posts in aggregate.  
    Ive been admonished by an ex-moderator for commenting on his unpleasantness in aggregate. So I quit doing it. He had a point which I have taken. 

I can’t help but but agree that you should hold yourself to a higher standard. If you can’t, perhaps you should consider passing the torch. 

Sog is on my ignore list, so I certainly understand your frustration with him. Can’t stand him, myself. 
    So now we have to protect trolls as special snowflakes? WTF. The dude is a troll. If he doesn't like being reminded and called on his absurd proclamations, then he shouldn't be on the internet. 

No, the mods dont have to treat this site's worst troll with snowflake gloves. Enough of that already, we are supposed to be accountable adults.
    Agreed. He’s a troll. 

However, mods have more effective troll-suppression techniques. They can remove posts and ban members.

maybe I’m wrong in my assumption, but I don’t think a moderator should engage with a troll in the troll’s natural habitat (insults and hyperbole) but should use tactics that will not reward the behavior by getting involved in the fight.

Cops aren’t supposed to get involved in a street fight. They are supposed to arrest suspects so they can be charged. 

Granted, even cops seem to have trouble with professionalism, and they are at least paid. 
    edited October 2017 gatorguytmaymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 46
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member

sog35 said:

DXOmark does not provide some clear benchmark for mobile photography, as many people from Jon Gruber to Android Central have pointed out. Google "DXOmark worthless" and you'll get lots of detailed reasons why.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-DXOMark-rating

The fact that Google has now twice hid Pixel behind a DXOMark score rather than putting its work out there for examination tells you all you need to know. 

Google has done great things with imaging, and has even shipped useful photo features for iOS. Using one (very flawed) score to decide that Pixel 2 (a phone that will ship in inconsequential volumes, just like every Nexus and Pixel product ever introduced) is somehow better overall than iPhone 8 or X (which will be the world's top selling phone models, again, at prices well above any other maker) should cause you to pause and think a little bit. 
    Thanks DED for the article and this point of clarification.  Always love how Google always get their pre-production devices reviewed by these sites and people are so gullible about the results.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    sog35 said:
    badmonk said:

Thanks DED for the article and this point of clarification.  Always love how Google always get their pre-production devices reviewed by these sites and people are so gullible about the results.
    The sad thing is the tech media says with a straight face that the Pixel camera is superior 100% based on DXO.
    the tech media has been cheering on Android and vilifying Apple for the last ten years. Android has never been so far behind and Apple keeps making more money than all Android licensees put together by a huge margin. The verge and all don't seem to be very effective in propagating their world view in a consequential fashion. 
    doozydozentmayGG1StrangeDaysradarthekatwatto_cobrapropodbrucemc
  • Reply 27 of 46
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    sog35 said:

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

I think it wouldn’t be a stretch to say that Apple is being compared to others on a set of criteria and tests that don’t really plumb the depths of what’s going on.  Daniel’s illumination regarding how the Pixel does brokah effects versus iPhone is a good example.  Apple is about applying technology to build foundational capabilities, whereas their competition is about following along which a checklist.  “Yup, we’ve got that feature too.  Check!”  

But, of course, you know this, right?  You’re the one who always knows better than Tim Cook.  
    that little jab at the end was not necessary. That's below what a moderator should be
    I didn’t ask to be a moderator.  I’ll continue calling em as I see em, even if my status is revoked.  No skin off my back.  
    The jab was completely justified because he does think he knows better than Tim Cook. If he doesn’t like being called out on it then why’s he on the internet?
    I didn’t say you said so in this thread.  It’s a view that comes across when reading your posts in aggregate.  
    Anyway, I sold 100% of my Apple shares today. I'm 100% out.  

That the Pixel2 beat out the iPhone camera is disturbing.  So much so that I dumped all my Apple shares. Been holding since 2012.
    How about a screenshot of this historic moment in your financial life?

I call bullshit, because only a complete idiot would sell his shares over a recent third-party camera ranking.
    It wasn't just the camera.

The camera was the last straw.

Plus I saw a better opportunity = Shopify shares for $95.  I just believe its a better investment at this time then Apple.
    I call BS as well.  Either you're trolling or a little off kilter if you're selling all your shares because of those 4 lame reasons you gave.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

but you are in a position of authority if you believe it or not.

taking little jabs at posters is not a good look for a moderator

My original comment contained nothing that deserved such a jab. I simply said I was disappointed that the Pixel2 camera got a higher score
    Come off it man. You are CONSTANTLY pretending you know more than Cook and have called for his firing dozens of times. You're the biggest troll on this entire site, second only to Ben Frost. If you can't deal with the blowback from saying stupid shit every single day, then take a break from the keyboard and try to figure out why everyone believes you're full of garbage. 

Stop whining.
    Nothing I said in this thread is trollish in any manner.

If you are refering to PAST posts, oh well. 
    Yes, as previously noted, we're free to view you through the prism of your constant, never-ending stream of shitting on Cook; to what extend you did on this thread is irrelevant. You have a narrative that you push for reasons known only to you. We're free to comment on this narrative's messaging.
    radarthekatwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 29 of 46
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

Apple stock is down $1 today, so Sog35 is predictably shitting his pants and trolling thread after thread. 

Sure Google has billions, but making phones is a hobby for them. Yet their hobby phone still beat the iPhone camera.  That his embarrassing and disappointing.
    You sold all your Apple stock because of ONE 3rd party ranking of a camera that is irrelevant to 99.99% of people, "won" by a phone that won't sell even a shred of a fraction of what the iPhone sales? 

If that's true, you're an even bigger joke and a bigger clown that I ever envisioned, if that's even possible. But, it's just as likely that you're just a massive liar. 
    Don't take it personal that I sold my Apple shares.  I just feel there are better opportunties like Shopify.
    Ok, so how about that screenshot of this most important financial transaction of your life?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    "Other vendors out of their depth"

"Huawei recently collaborated with Leica to deliver a phone with two cameras..."

I disagree with this placement.

Huawei is largely accepted as the first mainstream manufacturer to make photographic use of dual cameras (months ahead of Apple  - 'portrait' mode included) and is far from 'out of its depth'. In either of the interpretations.

Both companies produce excellent camera phones with Huawei producing a string of great products in 2016/2017 to Apple's two, iPhone 8 included.

The real improvements (to already great camera functions on most phones) are coming through software (AI included) and ISPs.

In the case of Huawei and Apple they take different approaches to similar tasks (for example, portrait mode). That is one of the reasons Huawei can take some shots while the iPhone will refuse to even allow the user to take the picture  in some situations and the iPhone can do better in some other circumstances. Huawei's camera software is also far ahead of what Apple will let you do out of the box but also lets you point and shoot if necessary.

The Mate 9 and P10 were extremely successful phones from a camera perspective and we already know that the Mate 10 (which will be revealed on 16th October) will use its AI heavily in the camera department. Especially to manage motion blur and scene detection. Throw in enhanced dual ISPs, wider apertures etc and the update looks very promising. BTW, I think they have chosen the iPhone 8 Plus for their night photography comparisons during the Mate 10 reveal. Not sure if they will stick with Samsung for the motion blur comparisons.

I would say that no Huawei dual camera phone has been out of its depth at any point in time.

It is also clear that cameras are moving beyond the sole use of photographic and video use. AR and AI are coming into play.

Will the Mate 10 be able to use its camera to 'read' a text and translate it into another language - offline? Identify some objects and 'learn' to identify more? That's where we're heading if we aren't already there today.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 31 of 46
    avon b7 said:

"Huawei recently collaborated with Leica to deliver a phone with two cameras..."

Huawei is largely accepted as the first mainstream manufacturer to make photographic use of dual cameras (months ahead of Apple  - 'portrait' mode included) and is far from 'out of its depth'. In either of the interpretations.

I would say that no Huawei dual camera phone has been out of its depth at any point in time.

Does Huawei make any use of depth imaging? That's what was being communicated. According to its marketing, it uses two identical camera sensors with the same lens, one supposedly capturing color and the other luminance. "Out of depth" was an obvious allusion to the subject of the article.
    watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 32 of 46
    avon b7 said:

"Out of depth" was an obvious allusion to the subject of the article.
    Oh, man. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you had to explain that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    avon b7 said:

Does Huawei make any use of depth imaging? That's what was being communicated. According to its marketing, it uses two identical camera sensors with the same lens, one supposedly capturing color and the other luminance. "Out of depth" was an obvious allusion to the subject of the article.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39095126
    They SAY they do.

"If the P10 detects there is more than one person being photographed in a "selfie", it automatically switches from standard to wide-angle mode. The phone's rear cameras also use use 3D depth-sensing technology to help enhance portraits.

...As before, there are two of these cameras on the rear of the device, one capturing colour, the other black-and-white data - the information is combined to create a single 12 megapixel colour image or used to deliver a 20 megapixel monochrome one.

What is new, is that software now analyses the difference between the two images to work out the position and size of the subject's various facial features - such as how big a nose they have. This is then used to adjust the lighting, shadows and skin colours to try and produce more flattering portraits."

edited October 2017
  • Reply 34 of 46
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

So will you take a jab at me for every post in the future? Regardless if the post deserve it or not?  Seems harsh.

Anyway, I sold 100% of my Apple shares today. I'm 100% out.  

That the Pixel2 beat out the iPhone camera is disturbing.  So much so that I dumped all my Apple shares. Been holding since 2012.
    A deeper understanding, which is exactly what DED so often provides, might have kept you from selling the shares.  My triggers for selling are either (a) I’ve identified a better place to move the capital to (which has to take into account the tax drag of selling) or (b) the fundamentals of the business, in some aspect (competitive landscape, regulatory landscape, exogenous economic conditions that might adversely impact the business, a significant misstep by management, etc) have gone negative. 

As an aside, I’ve defended your right to be here, as you occasionally raise good points.  And I have been among those who have hit the Like button on such posts.  But you do seem to have a hair trigger regarding your view of the company’s management, where othershere have taken an aggregate view (over time, Tim Cook and his staff have done amazing things, with most of the criticism coming from those who either can’t see, or refuse to acknowledge that much foundational building happens behind the scenes during years when Apple’s competition loudly proclaims progress on their own R&D projects, many of which never see the light of day.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 46
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

“... the last straw.”   

That says so much.  It implies that other straws, some mentioned and likely others not, have been weighing on Sog’s view of Apple.  And now, this rating of the Pixel camera, which I tried to clarify for him in my earlier comment on this post; that the measures don’t take into account the foundational building that Apple does versus competitors simply ticking feature checklists, has got him entirely out of the stock.  It’s clear Sog has had a less-than-insightful view of Apple for some time.  Better his shares sit in some other person’s account.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 36 of 46

polymnia said:

polymnia said:
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Ive been admonished by an ex-moderator for commenting on his unpleasantness in aggregate. So I quit doing it. He had a point which I have taken. 

I can’t help but but agree that you should hold yourself to a higher standard. If you can’t, perhaps you should consider passing the torch. 

Sog is on my ignore list, so I certainly understand your frustration with him. Can’t stand him, myself. 
    So now we have to protect trolls as special snowflakes? WTF. The dude is a troll. If he doesn't like being reminded and called on his absurd proclamations, then he shouldn't be on the internet. 

No, the mods dont have to treat this site's worst troll with snowflake gloves. Enough of that already, we are supposed to be accountable adults.
    Agreed. He’s a troll. 

However, mods have more effective troll-suppression techniques. They can remove posts and ban members.

maybe I’m wrong in my assumption, but I don’t think a moderator should engage with a troll in the troll’s natural habitat (insults and hyperbole) but should use tactics that will not reward the behavior by getting involved in the fight.

Cops aren’t supposed to get involved in a street fight. They are supposed to arrest suspects so they can be charged. 

Granted, even cops seem to have trouble with professionalism, and they are at least paid. 
    I have banned only a few one-post obvious trolls who came out swinging with insults to other members.  I would be very hesitant to ban a long-time member.  And there aren’t many other means I have at my disposal short of following someone around and deleting their posts.  So I choose simply to call em as I see em, so that their lack of insight and excess of misplaced vitriol is at least countered.  Happily, this is something I can do even if my moderator role is yanked. 
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 46
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

So Sog finally sold off that 1 share he jointly bought with his brother-in-law?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 46
    avon b7 said:

It has been a while since I looked at the subject but I'm sure I read somewhere that Huawei uses PMD depth sensing technology. AFAIK, they don't put that information in their product information documentation. They also allow for re-lighting the 'portrait' mode photos. This image was taken by Anandtech during their live blog of the P10/P10 Plus presentation.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11156/image71.jpg
  • Reply 39 of 46
    avon b7 said:

"Out of depth" was an obvious allusion to the subject of the article.
    Oh, man. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that you had to explain that. 
    Should I be surprised that I have to explain this?:

"... is far from 'out of its depth'. In either of the interpretations"

The way the expression is presented gives it two obvious allusions. 
  • Reply 40 of 46
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

bro, get some help. Your anger issues are out of control.

Don't take it personal that I sold my Apple shares.  I just feel there are better opportunties like Shopify.

I can easily see Shopify go up 300% in the next 5 years.  I don't see that with Apple.  Apple is just too big to make that kind of returns.
    Shopify shares just got hammered. Better have bought on the dip...
    edited October 2017