Apple and the future of photography in Depth: iPhone 8 Plus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    "Other vendors out of their depth"

"Huawei recently collaborated with Leica to deliver a phone with two cameras..."

I disagree with this placement.

Huawei is largely accepted as the first mainstream manufacturer to make photographic use of dual cameras (months ahead of Apple  - 'portrait' mode included) and is far from 'out of its depth'. In either of the interpretations.

I would say that no Huawei dual camera phone has been out of its depth at any point in time.

Does Huawei make any use of depth imaging? That's what was being communicated. According to its marketing, it uses two identical camera sensors with the same lens, one supposedly capturing color and the other luminance. "Out of depth" was an obvious allusion to the subject of the article.
    It has been a while since I looked at the subject but I'm sure I read somewhere that Huawei uses PMD depth sensing technology. AFAIK, they don't put that information in their product information documentation. They also allow for re-lighting the 'portrait' mode photos. This image was taken by Anandtech during their live blog of the P10/P10 Plus presentation.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11156/image71.jpg
    See post 46
  • Reply 42 of 46
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,696member
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    "Other vendors out of their depth"

"Huawei recently collaborated with Leica to deliver a phone with two cameras..."

I disagree with this placement.

Huawei is largely accepted as the first mainstream manufacturer to make photographic use of dual cameras (months ahead of Apple  - 'portrait' mode included) and is far from 'out of its depth'. In either of the interpretations.

I would say that no Huawei dual camera phone has been out of its depth at any point in time.

Does Huawei make any use of depth imaging? That's what was being communicated. According to its marketing, it uses two identical camera sensors with the same lens, one supposedly capturing color and the other luminance. "Out of depth" was an obvious allusion to the subject of the article.
    It has been a while since I looked at the subject but I'm sure I read somewhere that Huawei uses PMD depth sensing technology. AFAIK, they don't put that information in their product information documentation. They also allow for re-lighting the 'portrait' mode photos. This image was taken by Anandtech during their live blog of the P10/P10 Plus presentation.

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11156/image71.jpg
    See post 46
    Yes, thanks Gatorguy. I saw your post but wanted to flesh it out a bit with some extra information and as close to the company as possible.

I found the presentation slide quite easily but the PMD part is harder to find as it came from a .pdf. 

If pressed, I'd say I'm sure that the document I read specifically mentioned PMD depth sensing technology for the camera hardware on the P10 line. My doubt is if it was from a Huawei research lab (as part of collaborative effort) an external source.

Thanks for fishing out the BBC link. I'm a bit pushed for time with everything that's happening in my part of the world.

• Reply 43 of 46
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member

sog35 said:
    Hard to believe that the lowly Pixel beats the iPhone camera again.

Come on Tim.  You have billions. YOu should EASILY beat every camera on the market.

Yet DXO has the Pixel2 a higher rating than the 8 Plus.
    DXOmark does not provide some clear benchmark for mobile photography, as many people from Jon Gruber to Android Central have pointed out. Google "DXOmark worthless" and you'll get lots of detailed reasons why.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-DXOMark-rating

The fact that Google has now twice hid Pixel behind a DXOMark score rather than putting its work out there for examination tells you all you need to know. 

Google has done great things with imaging, and has even shipped useful photo features for iOS. Using one (very flawed) score to decide that Pixel 2 (a phone that will ship in inconsequential volumes, just like every Nexus and Pixel product ever introduced) is somehow better overall than iPhone 8 or X (which will be the world's top selling phone models, again, at prices well above any other maker) should cause you to pause and think a little bit. 
    Daniel Eran please do s review of the Pixel 2 to see how the phone and its camera really compare.
  • Reply 44 of 46

sog35 said:

Come on Tim.  You have billions. YOu should EASILY beat every camera on the market.

DXOmark does not provide some clear benchmark for mobile photography, as many people from Jon Gruber to Android Central have pointed out. Google "DXOmark worthless" and you'll get lots of detailed reasons why.
    Daniel, I think had you looked before typing that you would have found you were relying on old information from old articles. Things change.
     https://www.dxomark.com/introducing-the-new-dxomark-mobile-test-protocol/

That doesn't mean I believe DxOMark scores are suddenly more reliable as a predictor of your smartphone camera experience. I've said before that if you're happy with your camera and it does everything you need who cares what the benchmark result was. You seem to lean that way too with your comments in this thread.  Ignore the benchmark, it's how it performs for you that counts.

Same applies to other benchmarking tests IMHO. In general it's only geeks who hang their hats on a benchmark hook and convince themselves that only the highest/fastest "score" could possibly make them or anyone else happy. Everyone using lesser is a poor suffering soul. Must.Have.More.
    In actual experience not so much. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 45 of 46

sog35 said:

The fact that Google has now twice hid Pixel behind a DXOMark score rather than putting its work out there for examination tells you all you need to know. 
    Photo and video samples here. They aren't hidden:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO2_gTkgT1QwgYaWCTowaN6d2Cb5rvyJU10cjAdSU9Ao8v9Ec-r1v1cKdWEx6PNqg?key=WEdYT3BMNFZGdUlwQ0l6aEdFT1UwVlg2LUZESDhn

edited October 2017