2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    These cheap china companies are so pathetic.

copy.copy.copy.copy.

Come on, this is a feature that Apple is working on for 2+ years. If Chinese companies are copying, they would have started working on it ONLY after they came to know that Apple is delivering this feature about a month or 2 back. This could be a case of parallel development, isn't it?  Am I missing something? I am not suggesting that Chinese companies do not copy iPhones (in looks and features). They do that ALL the time. But this does not seem to belong to that category, to me.

it does not take 2+ years to copy something that is in production.

These cheap ass china companies get information from china suppliers on what Apple is working on.

Of course they are copying.

If not, tell me the last time a china brand came out with an innovation on a smart phone FIRST?  Never.  They just wait for an Apple rumor and then quickly copy the technology.
    Sog, you're had a habit of typing before thinking lately IMHO. Look before saying "NEVER" as fact.

One that immediately comes to mind is Huawei who offered Force Touch before Apple did. 
    Xiaomi was the first to ship an essentially bezel-less smartphone, over a year ago.
    Xiaomi was also the first to debut a new ultrasonic fingerprint sensor, again over a year ago.
    Vivo has already demoed a working under-screen fingerprint reader. 

The Chinese are a bit more innovative than you're giving them credit for. Do they copy stuff too? Most assuredly, as do a crap-load of Western companies when they see something successful in a market they can serve. 
    You are distorting the motive of these Chinese companies.  Many of them try to rush a new technology to market once they heard rumor Apple is developing for it.  You know the reason?  They claim Apple copy their technology and sue Apple. Dual camera is an example.  Huawei implemented it Mate 9 ahead of Apple. Its implementation is so stupid. It uses two identical cameras. 
    No. It was the P9 (April 2016). The Mate 9 came later (November 2016).

The Mate 9 camera setup is very highly rated by users and tech sites. Did you read the Anandtech review?
  • Reply 22 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

Come on, this is a feature that Apple is working on for 2+ years. If Chinese companies are copying, they would have started working on it ONLY after they came to know that Apple is delivering this feature about a month or 2 back. This could be a case of parallel development, isn't it?  Am I missing something? I am not suggesting that Chinese companies do not copy iPhones (in looks and features). They do that ALL the time. But this does not seem to belong to that category, to me.

These cheap ass china companies get information from china suppliers on what Apple is working on.

If not, tell me the last time a china brand came out with an innovation on a smart phone FIRST?  Never.  They just wait for an Apple rumor and then quickly copy the technology.

Just couple of examples on top of my mind - Xiaomi supports "Two profiles" in their MIUI, i.e. An user can access TWO facebook accounts, TWO whatsapp accounts and so on, making it easier to share with another family member. I have a friend who purchases Xiaomi phones ONLY because of this feature, which is NOT available in other Android phones. Huawei has their "own" unique dual-camera implementation, much before Apple was even "rumored" to be working on dual camera phones.

I can go on further, if needed. But that would be besides the point. Reality is - The words "China brand" should NOT be used in a derogatory way.

having 2 profiles is not anything special.  Its been done on windows for decades.  Apple could easily do it, but its a ridiculous thing to do for a PERSONAL DEVICE. 

Dual camera's?  Their version is JUNK.  Other phones did dual camera's before Huawei.  And every dual camera smartphone was JUNK before the iPhone7 plus.

China brands are junk and just copy Apple and Samsung shamelessly.  

Those crappy phones belong in the clearance shelf.
    When apps are tied to phones, having the ability of dual profiles is a much sought after characteristic. It is anything but ridiculous. I thought Android had adopted this function in its latest version but could be mistaken.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    kruegdude said:
    Does Apple publish shipment forecasts?
    It publishes guidance at the end of the previous quarter, so in a way it does (not precise but it gives and idea of what they're expecting).
  • Reply 24 of 37
    JWSC said:

What exactly is the TrueDepth camera system?  I’m curious to know if the camera is an off the shelf part that can be bought by any manufacturer or if it is a design created specifically for the iPhone from an Apple specification.  If that is the case then reports of other phone makers running into production problems because of a lack of cameras bears no relationship to Apple’s alleged iPhone X delay.

It's seemingly both, Apple does systems integration where you have COTS parts, custom parts, software all working together. Apple's using a few manufacturers not used by others, I doubt they're using Qualcom for example. But, some parts could be similar.
    Since those techs are emerging, everyone will have a delay seemingly as volume ramps up.
  • Reply 25 of 37

Three separate reports have claimed that the TrueDepth camera is creating production bottlenecks. Most recently, the Wall Street Journal said that the camera includes two components -- dubbed "Romeo" and "Juliet" -- the former of which is more difficult to make, and hence creating a supply imbalance.
    So in this case, Romeo is the diva.
    tmay
  • Reply 26 of 37
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

Just couple of examples on top of my mind - Xiaomi supports "Two profiles" in their MIUI, i.e. An user can access TWO facebook accounts, TWO whatsapp accounts and so on, making it easier to share with another family member. I have a friend who purchases Xiaomi phones ONLY because of this feature, which is NOT available in other Android phones. Huawei has their "own" unique dual-camera implementation, much before Apple was even "rumored" to be working on dual camera phones.

I can go on further, if needed. But that would be besides the point. Reality is - The words "China brand" should NOT be used in a derogatory way.

having 2 profiles is not anything special.  Its been done on windows for decades.  Apple could easily do it, but its a ridiculous thing to do for a PERSONAL DEVICE. 

Dual camera's?  Their version is JUNK.  Other phones did dual camera's before Huawei.  And every dual camera smartphone was JUNK before the iPhone7 plus.

When apps are tied to phones, having the ability of dual profiles is a much sought after characteristic. It is anything but ridiculous. I thought Android had adopted this function in its latest version but could be mistaken.

Nope, this is still not there. I don't see a reference to this feature in the link https://www.gsmarena.com/android_80_oreo-review-1653.php.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

Sog, you're had a habit of typing before thinking lately IMHO. Look before saying "NEVER" as fact.

One that immediately comes to mind is Huawei who offered Force Touch before Apple did. 
    Xiaomi was the first to ship an essentially bezel-less smartphone, over a year ago.
    Xiaomi was also the first to debut a new ultrasonic fingerprint sensor, again over a year ago.

The Chinese are a bit more innovative than you're giving them credit for. Do they copy stuff too? Most assuredly, as do a crap-load of Western companies when they see something successful in a market they can serve. 
    Xiaomi is so FULL OF SHIT.

On their Mi Mix phone they actually use FAKE and DOCTORED SHOTS OF THE PHONE.

To make the bezels look smaller than they are.  PATHETIC, SHITTY CHINA COMPANY.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Xiaomi-Mi-Mix-not-edgeless_id87043

"Don't get us wrong, we do think that this is an impressive phone, but it's a shame that Xiaomi seemingly wants to deceive viewers with its Mi Mix promo material. To see what we're talking about, take a look at the images below, comparing Xiaomi's official renders to some hands-on photos of the Mi Mix."

All of your arguments still do NOT take away from the fact that "Xiaomi was the one who popularized the near bezel-less" design last year (2016) which made LG/Samsung AND Apple as followers of this design in 2017. I mentioned popularized, because I know they copied the idea from Sharp Acquos phone which was not so popular.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

2 profiles make lot more sense if you are a family man and want to share your phone with kids by providing them limited access (which my friend does with ease in Xiaomi phones). You need to have blind hate towards anything non-Apple, to call it a useless feature. Guess what - even Apple users wish this feature is available in iOS, at least for iPads.

Dual camera implementation of Huawei P9/Mate 9/P10 variants is JUNK??? I am NOT a photography expert, so I wouldn't pass any judgment on it. But try telling that to Leica engineers OR others who have evaluated the said phones objectively by actually using them and reviewed them - I am yet to see a critical review of cameras in those phones, to the extent of calling them JUNK. What I know is - People who have NOT even seen those phones, leave alone touched them for a minute call them as JUNKs. And it is NOT hard for me to figure out whose words to TRUST.

• Reply 29 of 37
    tzeshan said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

You are distorting the motive of these Chinese companies.  Many of them try to rush a new technology to market once they heard rumor Apple is developing for it.  You know the reason?  They claim Apple copy their technology and sue Apple. Dual camera is an example.  Huawei implemented it Mate 9 ahead of Apple. Its implementation is so stupid. It uses two identical cameras. 
    Sue apple - That too after copying Apple's technology??? ANY evidence to backup your statement????
  • Reply 30 of 37

sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

Xiaomi is so FULL OF SHIT.

On their Mi Mix phone they actually use FAKE and DOCTORED SHOTS OF THE PHONE.

To make the bezels look smaller than they are.  PATHETIC, SHITTY CHINA COMPANY.

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Xiaomi-Mi-Mix-not-edgeless_id87043

"Don't get us wrong, we do think that this is an impressive phone, but it's a shame that Xiaomi seemingly wants to deceive viewers with its Mi Mix promo material. To see what we're talking about, take a look at the images below, comparing Xiaomi's official renders to some hands-on photos of the Mi Mix."
    Besides which, there is a big fat bezel along the entire bottom of the device. It has a reduced bezel on 3 of the 4 sides only.
    That STILL does NOT take away from the fact that this Xiaomi MI MIX (2016) was the first POPULAR phone with >80% screen to body ratio AND made LG/Samsung AND Apple as followers of this design in 2017.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

Nope, this is still not there. I don't see a reference to this feature in the link https://www.gsmarena.com/android_80_oreo-review-1653.php.
    He may have been thinking of new Google Home features relating to multiple user accounts, but the ability to have multiple profiles on a single smartphone has long been available in Android.
     https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/android-basics-set-up-multiple-user-accounts-same-device-0168597/
  • Reply 32 of 37
    gatorguy said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

He may have been thinking of new Google Home features relating to multiple user accounts, but the ability to have multiple profiles on a single smartphone has long been available in Android.
     https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/android-basics-set-up-multiple-user-accounts-same-device-0168597/

Thank you for the details. I was not aware of this.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    gatorguy said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

You call these features “innovation “? Lol. No more discussion!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 37
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

copy.copy.copy.copy.

2 profiles make lot more sense if you are a family man and want to share your phone with kids by providing them limited access (which my friend does with ease in Xiaomi phones). You need to have blind hate towards anything non-Apple, to call it a useless feature. Guess what - even Apple users wish this feature is available in iOS, at least for iPads.

Dual camera implementation of Huawei P9/Mate 9/P10 variants is JUNK??? I am NOT a photography expert, so I wouldn't pass any judgment on it. But try telling that to Leica engineers OR others who have evaluated the said phones objectively by actually using them and reviewed them - I am yet to see a critical review of cameras in those phones, to the extent of calling them JUNK. What I know is - People who have NOT even seen those phones, leave alone touched them for a minute call them as JUNKs. And it is NOT hard for me to figure out whose words to TRUST.

Not an expert, but you do TALK IT UP A LOT huh.
    Well, give me those comparative links, and reviews and then we will talk.
    Otherwise your shoveling "trust" in my face. Basically telling me to trust your words... I don't, just like you don't trust SOG.

Apple usually does the better implementation of anything and popularizes a concept.

Doesn't mean they do it in all case cause they're just one phone maker and there are dozens of Android phone makers; they have to differentiate too.,

The exception being when volume considerations prevent this from happening. Seems they made and exception this year with the sensors and had to split their phone line because of it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Has anyone read anything about whether or not these production issues are likely to manifest as problems with finished phones?

In other words, is the problem only that they can't make as many as they'd like as quickly as they'd like, or is there a chance that the phone I buy may wind up having problems related to depth sensing?
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Has anyone read anything about whether or not these production issues are likely to manifest as problems with finished phones?

In other words, is the problem only that they can't make as many as they'd like as quickly as they'd like, or is there a chance that the phone I buy may wind up having problems related to depth sensing?
    The "problems" (which are not really confirmed at all) all have to do with supply. Unless they start being slack in QC because they need to up the production rate, it shouldn't affect the finished product.