AOL Instant Messenger to shut down permanently on Dec. 15

Posted:
in General Discussion
AOL Instant Messenger -- better known as AIM, and once a staple of the online world -- will close down on Dec. 15 this year, according to Verizon's Oath, which controls the AOL brand.

Oath announced the deadline via official posts on Twitter and Tumblr. No replacement is planned, and the company didn't mention any archival or transition efforts.

AIM originally launched as a Windows app in 1997, and helped to codify much of the lingo and design language around online messaging, even becoming a staple of pop culture. For Mac and iOS users it eventually became accessible through various first- and third-party clients, among them Apple's iChat and Messages. This broad support made it a useful way for Mac and Windows users to communicate with each other.

In recent years, however, it has been eclipsed by other multi-platform messaging services, such as WhatsApp, Slack, Google, and Facebook Messenger. Official AIM clients are still available to download, but haven't been updated in years.

In September, Apple removed AIM support from the High Sierra version of Messages, likely reflecting AIM's decline and the company's awareness of an impending shutdown.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    I had no idea it was still a "thing". 
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    I had no idea it still existed either!

• Reply 3 of 23
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Ah, the nostalgia! I often kept AIM running so I could continue chatting with my fellow AOL-ers after I switched away from dial-up internet, but mostly used Yahoo! Messenger.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I have a number of friends who still have aol.com email addresses.
    arlomediazeus423cornchipdasanman69
  • Reply 5 of 23
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,540member
    That’s okay. ICQ is still around.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    I used this all the time to talk with people...you could make rooms and there used to be this room called maczone that was cool to chat in with other fellow Mac users. But, as technology progressed and I guess people found other things to do than sit in a chatroom all night the room fizzled out and I never really see anyone online the rare times I happen to sign in. You can still sign into AIM in Messages on your Mac as long as you don't have macOS High Sierra. 
    edited October 2017 randominternetpersonedredzeus423cornchip
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I used my AOL account via iMessage a "few" years ago (probably 8-10 now that I think about it).  I think I'll survive this.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 23
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    a/s/l?
    tyler82
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    No problem. I still have my Compuserve account to fall back on. 
    chiaviclauyycrandominternetpersonzeus423
  • Reply 10 of 23
    sandorsandor Posts: 654member
    ah the days of AIM & long distance calling cards. fond memories.

we are the greatest generation :)
    viclauyycrandominternetpersonzeus423
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sandor said:

Remember the days when you had to get off the internet if the missus wanted to make a phone call?
    tallest skilOfersandorzeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Rayz2016 said:
    sandor said:

Remember the days when you had to get off the internet if the missus wanted to make a phone call?
    Or if you had a certain type of line it would kick you off the internet if someone called. I think it was a party line? SUPER annoying!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    sog35 said:
    Goodbye sweet price.
    Freudian slip referencing your AAPL sell off?
    MacProwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 14 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    SOME people don’t like social networking. SOME people just got their AIM account working in High Sierra again… Not that I have any particular love for AOL, but they sure were good about passing out free Christmas tree decorations.
    cornchip
  • Reply 15 of 23
    spheric said:
    That’s okay. ICQ is still around.
    ICQ was the best. Can’t remember how much time I wasted in late night chat.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    Next I suppose you're going to tell me my eWorld account is going dead.  
    zeus423cornchip
  • Reply 17 of 23
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I started on AIM at one of my tech support jobs. I kept my account around since 2001. I guess Verizon doesn't like maintaining the products they acquired. I know everyone is all hipster about AIM... "is that still a thing"... but it was a useful chat tool for ages. Almost a standby. ICQ never got into the mainstream. Jabber never caught on. A dozen dozens of other chat products abound and the only thing that everyone can rely on as an open and consistent experience is...?

I just deleted my AIM client on iOS. Never even used it for the reason I installed it: Someone wanted me to acquire yet another online account to chat with her (via a clone of the also defunct Google Talk), and I already have 160+ internet accounts to keep track of. I asked her to acquire an AIM account since I already had one and AIM was more prevalent than defunct chat systems. Ha ha... Guess she won that battle.

Someone else has already gotten me onto KIK because she wanted off of OKCupid. Sigh. What a constant tail-chasing scenario, these chat services (as I watch my cat chase her tail; she even hissed at it). I absolutely refuse to be pushed to Facebook's messenger BS (pushed by their website harassing me and blocking the built-in messaging feature on the mobile site).
    zeus423
  • Reply 18 of 23
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    Haven’t used it in over 10 years but when I was in high school AIM was the equivalent of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat rolled into one. Everyone was on it and used it all the time. Sad to see it go but at the same time I don’t really care.
    edited October 2017 Rayz2016cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I still miss eWorld!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    dysamoria said:
     I know everyone is all hipster about AIM... "is that still a thing"... but it was a useful chat tool for ages. Almost a standby. ICQ never got into the mainstream. Jabber never caught on. A dozen dozens of other chat products abound and the only thing that everyone can rely on as an open and consistent experience is...?
    Oh, for sure, at one point in time it was THE thing. You either sent email, or you went more real-time with AIM, and if that failed, you made phone calls. I lived on it for years in various tech-support roles.

payeco said:
    Haven’t used it in over 10 years but when I was in high school AIM was the equivalent of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat rolled into one. Everyone was on it and used it all the time. Sad to see it go but at the same time I don’t really care.
    There's a lesson in there.... especially for all the people building their internet 'homes' on these services.