Android makers shift focus from under-display fingerprint readers to 3D sensing after iPho...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,938member

jcallows said:

jcallows said:
    macxpress said:
    So it adds no value to you so its a gimmick? I could say the some thing about a USB or bluetooth mouse. I happen to like using the trackpads on MacBook Pros so the USB or bluetooth mouse provides no value to me. I guess the USB or bluetooth mouse is a gimmick. I'm sorry Apple didn't design a laptop for your personal needs. Maybe next time. If only Steve were here, right?
    if steve were here he'd throw it out for the same reason he refused to turn the display into a touch screen or include a stylus with the ipad or put a physical keyboard on the iphone.
    Nope, that's just some silly fantasy you made up in your head. Jobs is long dead and you didn't know the man. Anybody on these forums trying to stuff words into his ghost's mouth is just telling nonsense fairy tales to boost their own opinions, like you're doing. It adds no weight to your position and is a silly fallacy.
    tell it to the dude that brought steve into the discussion
    He was being saracastic. You said it in earnest.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tundraboy said:
    Criticize then copy.  Excoriate then imitate.  Ridicule then replicate.  Again.  And again.
    Is that what Apple does? 
  • Reply 83 of 92

cropr said:
    According to well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Android hardware makers have turned their attention away from under-display fingerprint readers and toward 3D sensing technologies like those Apple debuted with iPhone X, a flip-flop designed to capture customer sentiment. 
    This guys notes get more ridiculous every day. Just a bunch of gibberish. Where is the customer sentiment for 3D sensing? Most consumers haven’t used Face ID yet and AR is in its infancy. Nobody knows yet if this is going to be the next big thing everyone has to have. 
    Fully agree.  Nobody is moving away from fingerprint reading.  Apple doe not have it in the iPhoneX but the intention was to have it as well.  I have read the technical articles about the face recognition, I can only come to the conclusion that for Apple Pay, fingerprint reading will remain faster and more efficient than face recognition.  You don't have to turn the iPhone to your face in the first place.
    This is nonsense. As has been discussed ad nauseum, you only need to be able to see your screen — which is how you’d already be holding it for touch ID when tapping to the NFC equipped POS terminal. You’re just panicked and creating FUD. It will be fine.  
  • Reply 84 of 92
    tundraboy said:
    Criticize then copy.  Excoriate then imitate.  Ridicule then replicate.  Again.  And again.
    Is that what Apple does? 
    Nope. 
  • Reply 85 of 92
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    A good post from another web site.

Also, good luck unlocking your phone while driving!
    Instead of touching the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone, now I'll need to lift the phone off the magnet mount and point it to my face, not to mention that security feature requires me to look at the phone for a certain time taking my attention from the road. I hope there are alternatives or reduction in security when in driving mode/connected to car bluetooth to make it easier to authenticate.

• Reply 86 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nilay in 2017 - "It is user-hostile to remove old tech in order to innovate".
    "Not enough innovation from Apple" - Nilay pre 2017.
    This is what a contrarian whose jobs is to find fault with Apple sounds like.
    Nilay Patel is a dumbass.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,843member
    tzeshan said:

Instead of touching the fingerprint sensor to unlock the phone, now I'll need to lift the phone off the magnet mount and point it to my face, not to mention that security feature requires me to look at the phone for a certain time taking my attention from the road. I hope there are alternatives or reduction in security when in driving mode/connected to car bluetooth to make it easier to authenticate.

I think in that scenario, a useful Android feature that iOS has implemented could be handy for some: Double tap to wake.

It might not be the best option for some users but I think it's a nice option to have, nevertheless.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    tzeshan said:

Good. 

This idiot should be concentrating on the road, not dicking around with his phone. 
    edited October 2017 jony0
  • Reply 89 of 92
    tzeshan said:

Hence, Hey Siri! Or are we pretending that it doesn't exist?
    tmayjony0
  • Reply 90 of 92

jcallows said:

jcallows said:
    macxpress said:
    So it adds no value to you so its a gimmick? I could say the some thing about a USB or bluetooth mouse. I happen to like using the trackpads on MacBook Pros so the USB or bluetooth mouse provides no value to me. I guess the USB or bluetooth mouse is a gimmick. I'm sorry Apple didn't design a laptop for your personal needs. Maybe next time. If only Steve were here, right?
    if steve were here he'd throw it out for the same reason he refused to turn the display into a touch screen or include a stylus with the ipad or put a physical keyboard on the iphone.
    Nope, that's just some silly fantasy you made up in your head. Jobs is long dead and you didn't know the man. Anybody on these forums trying to stuff words into his ghost's mouth is just telling nonsense fairy tales to boost their own opinions, like you're doing. It adds no weight to your position and is a silly fallacy.
    tell it to the dude that brought steve into the discussion
    He was being saracastic. 
    as was i ;-)
  • Reply 91 of 92
    rob53 said:
    I'd like to see Apple develop and deploy a restaurant handheld POS device (I know there are some) that uses Apple Pay Cash along with iBeacon or whatever else they can develop so people can pay at the table without giving the server their credit cards. (None of the restaurants in my area have anything close to this and places that have those weird tablet devices at the table are not something I would use.)
    Some places have this already; in the UK, the Wetherspoons pub chain lets you order and pay for food and drink on the app - you even specify what table you are sitting at and they come deliver it to you. Works with apple-pay too.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/order-and-pay-app

There was a viral thing a week or so ago where some guy posted up that it was his mate's birthday and for people to buy him a drink. People all over twitter started sending drinks to his table from the app.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    tzeshan said:

or maybe don't use your iPhone while driving? smh