Apple becoming America's favorite company, as 64% own iPhone, Mac, iPad, iPod or watch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2017
A new survey suggests that the average American household has expanded over the last five years to own 2.6 Apple-made products -- with 64 percent of all Americans owning an iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, or iPod product.

The CNBC All-America Economic Survey shows radical growth in Apple products among Americans in the last five years. In the most recent survey conducted in September, the number of Apple products in active use has grown from 1.6 products per household to 2.6.

The attractiveness of Apple as a brand spans regions and financial status. Americans in the U.S. south have 2.2 products per household, with those in the west having 3.7. As expected, the wealthiest members of the U.S. own 4.7 products per household, with 87 percent of those claiming over $100,000 in household income report owning at least one product.

The only demographic groups polled that fell below 50 percent ownership is those with a household income of less than $30,000, retirees, and women over age 50. In 2012, 50 percent of all responders reported that they had at least one device.

According to data from the survey seen by AppleInsider, in 2012, nine percent of those asked had five or more Apple-produced devices. In 2017, that number grew to 16 percent -- so not only are the number of Americans with Apple products increasing, but the sheer number of them are growing as well.

The data aligns with separate polls showing not only wide use and adoption of Apple products across the American landscape, but also nationwide appreciation for the brand itself. In fact, Apple has held the top spot in Fortune's "Most Admired Companies" list for the last decade.

In the latest CNBC poll, usage patterns suggest that Apple devices are primarily communication tools, and computing or entertainment devices second. Video consumption, shopping, and game-play are eclipsed by communication needs. The vast majority of responders claim that phone calls, emails, and texts are the primary use of the phone, followed by social media.

Over 64 percent of the public reported that smartphone use is "mostly productive and useful," and 27 percent claim that staring at the screen is "mostly unproductive." Three groups belie those numbers, with CNBC noting that Midwesterners, those with just a high school education, and the young report burning time more than being productive on the ubiquitous devices.

The poll surveyed 800 people regarding purchase habits. CNBC notes that there is a plus or minus 3.5 percent margin of error. Not clear is what counts as a piece of Apple equipment for the purposes of the survey beyond "iPhones, iPads, iPods, Apple watches, and Apple computers" as asked by the pollsters.

"It continues to be the case that the smartphone is really helping the American worker, helping the American family be efficient with their time and really accomplish more than they could otherwise," said poll organizer Jay Campbell. "I think people recognize and appreciate that."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I suspect the readers of this site (and especially the commenters) may differ slightly from these general numbers.  My household has 8 working/powered Macs (and at least 5 others), 4 active iPhones, 4 active iPads, 2 Apple Watches, and who knows how many iPhones, iPods, and iPads sitting in drawers.  Oh, and 2 Apple TVs and a single pair of AirPods.  I wish they had randomly called me; that would have been a fun conversation.
    king editor the gratebill42zroger73equality72521calimagman1979wlymwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 26
    robjnrobjn Posts: 280member
    This shows there is still huge potential in the market for Apple to sell more product.
    randominternetpersonmagman1979caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Twelve working devices. Although I don't feel as cool after reading of Randominternetperson's hoard.
    StrangeDaysmagman1979caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Can only be good news for AAPL going forward.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I'd like to see the breakdown of Apple products in that 64%. 90% iPhone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    pfft that's nothing I have one of everything apple's made this century and I've begun my "last century" collection now that I have a sawtooth G4
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    jd_in_sb said:
    I would think iPads and Macs hold a strong number too. Yes, definitely the iPhone is the top product but others are strong ones too. 
    bb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Currently: iPhone, Watch, 5 Apple TVs, iPad, MacBook Pro, iMac, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express, AirPods, and probably more that I'm forgetting and not including iPhones and iPads and Apple TVs and routers I've given as gifts. I could have bought a new car for what I've spent on Apple products since my first one about 10 years ago.

You're welcome, Apple. Well played.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I'm doing a bit of math on how many Apple products are in my house: 11 in current use. In the drawers, 5 more legacy devices (including an original, working iPod.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Twelve working devices. Although I don't feel as cool after reading of Randominternetperson's hoard.

Per capita you may very well have me beat (family of 4 for me).  And I might have been at this a lot longer (going back to an original Mac 512K and Mac SE in college).

You're plenty cool in my book.

• Reply 11 of 26
    macxpress said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    I would think iPads and Macs hold a strong number too. Yes, definitely the iPhone is the top product but others are strong ones too. 

It would be interesting to see the raw data.  For example, how many of the 800 respondents (the article here says 600, but the source says 800), own a Mac?  I suspect it's less than 100.  I bet that iPhones alone represent 70%+ of the items reported--plenty of households with 2 iPhones and nothing else, for example.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Ok let's make this a silly thread  :)  I have 14 active devices, excluding gifts:

2 iPhones
    2 Watches
    2 AirPods
    3 iPads
    3 macs
    1 ATV
    1 Airport

edited October 2017 patchythepirateking editor the gratewlymwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Ok let's make this a silly thread  :)  I have 14 active devices, excluding gifts:

2 iPhones
    2 Watches
    2 AirPods
    3 iPads
    3 macs
    1 ATV
    1 Airport

Now I have to join  :) 
    Active devices in household of 2:
    4 iPhones
    3 iPads
    2 Macs
    2 ATV
    3 Airport
    Not active: ± 25 Macs + Apple Displays in storage: from SE/30, Powerbook G3, Newton, working Apple //e, first Cinema display etc.
    edited October 2017 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    In a family of 4, active devices:

2 Macs
    4 iPhones
    2 iPads
    2 iPods
    1 AW
    2 pairs AirPods
    2 ATV
    2 Airports

But some good longevity there (iMac is 8 years old, MBP is 6.5, iPads 3 years old, iPods 3 and 5 years old, 1 ATV 5 yrs, AirPorts 3-4 yrs,...).  We only upgrade our phones every 3 years.  As great as the new iPhones and iPads are, my next purchases will be to replace the Macs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    LOL I thought what an iSheep I was, yet this comment section makes me feel totally vanilla. In my family (2 adults + a teenager)

3 iPhones
    2 iPads
    2 Apple Watches
    1 iMac 5K
    1 MBP
    1 iPod

Baaah
    king editor the grateStrangeDaysrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I'll join in :smile:

My personal use:
    iPhone 7
    Series 2 Apple Watch (plus a series 1 in a drawer that I took in the ocean..)
    iPad Pro
    2010 MBA
    Airport extreme plus 3 airport expresses
    Apple TV
    Beats Pill
    Beats Studio Wireless
    AirPods
    iPod Shuffle Special Edition (chrome) (I just look at it now, lol)

Some old stuff I don't use anymore.

Does the Designed by Apple in California book count?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member

Does the Designed by Apple in California book count?
    No  :D  :) 
    Don't get started with the non-electronics.....

patchythepirateking editor the grateStrangeDayswlymSoli
  • Reply 18 of 26
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    OMG, this is one those "I have to respond now" threads :smile: 

2 MacBook Pro's (15" 2015, 15" 2008)
    1 Thunderbolt Display
    1 Apple 85W MagSafe Power Adaptor (extra for travel)
    1 Apple MagSafe to MagSafe2 Converter
    1 PowerBook (mint, still functional)
    1 Apple Magic Mouse
    2 Apple Wireless Keyboard
    2 Apple Magic TrackPad
    2 Apple Watch (S2 Nike+, S3 Nike+)
    1 Apple Watch Black Sports Band
    1 Apple Watch 12" Charging Cable
    1 Apple Watch 36" Charging Cable
    1 iPod 4th Gen
    2 iPhone's (6S+ and 4 [in mint condition])
    2 Apple iPhone 6s+ Cases (leather and silicon)
    1 iPad Pro 10.5
    1 Apple Pencil
    1 Apple Smart Keyboard
    1 Apple Leather iPad Sleeve
    1 AirPort Express (latest gen)
    1 Apple TV 4th Gen 32GB

OK, I think that does it :smile: 

edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Here is what I have in my household:

6 iPhone's (some are in drawers such as the original iPhone and a few other older models)
    6 Apple TV's (2 ATV4K, 1 ATV4, 1 ATV 2nd Gen, and 2 ATV 1st Gen)
    2 iMac's
    2 Macbook Pro's
    1 Airport Extreme
    3 iPod Touch
    1 iPod Nano
    3 iPod Classic (2 are new in boxes I'm saving)
    2 iPads
    1 iPad Mini
    1 Apple Watch
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26

Per capita you may very well have me beat (family of 4 for me).  And I might have been at this a lot longer (going back to an original Mac 512K and Mac SE in college).

You're plenty cool in my book.

Mm-hmm. There's two of us, and my first product was graphite iMac G3 in March 2000. (Still working, although screen stopped working somehow for several months.) I wanted to invest on Apple stock but didn't follow through, which wasn't too cool.

But, shucks. You faint me with damn praise.
    watto_cobra