Yale's Assure smart lock family gets HomeKit support with iM1 Network Module upgrade

Posted:
in iPhone
Long-time lock producer Yale has added HomeKit support to its Assure lock family, in the form of the iM1 Network Module that provides support for Siri controls through Apple's Home app.

When used with a compatible Assure Lock, the Yale iM1 Network Module allows homeowners to lock and unlock their home using HomeKit connectivity. In conjunction with the Yale Secure app, users can check the lock hardware's battery status, manage up to 25 unlock codes, see the position of the lock, customize lock settings, name a lock, and add a new lock.

As with most advanced HomeKit compatibility, locking and unlocking automatically with the geofencing feature requires a fourth-generation Apple TV or iPad with iOS 10.3 or later set up as a home hub.

iM1 HomeKit-compatible networking module installed in lock
iM1 HomeKit-compatible networking module installed in lock

Power is provided by four AA batteries. Should the unit lose power, it can be powered by touching a 9v battery to an external connector underneath the touch pad.

The $49.99 Yale iM1 Network Module will initially be compatible with two Yale Assure locks - the new Assure Lock SL and the Assure Lock Key Free Touchscreen available from assorted electronics and home improvement stores. The Assure Lock SL and Assure Lock Key Free Touchscreen with the iM1 Network Module installed retails for $229.99 and up and will available from Amazon on Oct. 16 in oil-rubbed bronze for $199.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    If Apple had a real WiFi SDK, this company and many like it would not need any kind of upgrade to support HomeKit. WiFi is intended to be a an open standard for use by everyone and not walled off by large corporations.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    It's great to see more companies bringing HomeKit support to their devices. I feel all the smart locks currently on the market though are more suited to apartments and rental properties. 

I would like to see a lock that functions more similarly to a security door in an office building with the lock mechanism itself being installed into the door frame/wall allowing it to be connected to mains power. I don't want to be swapping out batteries every 6-12 months. I know the installation process would be more complex but the end result would be far more convenient.

I couldn't imagine getting to work and swiping my access card only to find out the battery needed to be replaced on the door lock. I know most people would be happy to just change the batteries on a lock at home but from the reviews of locks needed battery changes in under 6 months or needing to have the lock almost dismantled to swap out the batteries, it just seems to reduce the convenience factor too much.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    grangerfx said:
    If Apple had a real WiFi SDK, this company and many like it would not need any kind of upgrade to support HomeKit. WiFi is intended to be a an open standard for use by everyone and not walled off by large corporations.
    WiFi is a battery burner compared to Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) which I'm pretty sure this "HomeKit module" uses.

Good to see HomeKit products from 100 year old lock makers like Yale. IMHO, the world doesn't need "startup companies" or Kickstarter campaigns shipping junk off Alibaba Express attached to an 8th-grade science project ("Arduino-controlled solenoid") in a "gift box" retail package. There's no doubt those startups will be out of business (no firmware updates) soon.
    knowthematjony0