NAB calls for activation of iPhone FM radio feature Apple says does not exist

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    Got to love this. The National Association of Broadcasters tells Apple that it COULD add FM radio if it wished to do so. Duh.
    I wonder if there is any ulterior motif involved in doing that.
    It is not like broadcasters are losing the game with all this new tech. Nah Nah, that can't be it... NAB is just concerned about "the children".

• Reply 62 of 66
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    appex said:
    Scenarios like this reveal the true commitment of companies to people and the environment. But since they are usually too busy making money instead, there is a good final solution. Regulate it by law. End of problem. Forever.
    I stand corrected on a previous remark I made about the dumbest thing I've heard all week.
    I expect that kind of comment from some people, but not from you, Mike. You're better than this. Insults contribute nothing to the dialog. Besides, you're a representative of Apple Insider so you're held to a higher standard.

If you disagree with what someone writes, explain why. If there's misinformation, correct it. Denigrating others accomplishes nothing.

I quit reading Apple Insider for a while because of the toxic forum environment. When I checked back in for some specific information I found the situation had improved so I stuck around. People like you provide the leadership in that direction. Showing basic respect for others and common civility create a better environment for disseminating useful and accurate information.

Thank you for your interesting articles and helpful follow-up posts in the forums.
    Well said sir.  I've waivered about staying at AI after all these years, especially because of a certain Google plant.  However, I have to say there is nowhere better than AI for real Mac users and Mike is one of the best these days along with my personal long standing hero DED.  This from someone that started with Apple professionally (not as a user) in 1977 and has been involved 24/7/365 since.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 63 of 66
    wood1208 said:
    Instead of FM, everyone should ask Apple to add a feature in Settings call iClean or iClean User Credentials or whatever you want to name. What it does is, It totally removes any association/reference of the device from current and any prior ownership. Means, it removes references from everywhere, iCloud, passcode/touchid, iTune login,manage applid from authentication server and than resets it. It still asks for current user's appleid/password to initiate the feature. But at the end, you can hand over the iDevice to a new owner in a state like when the device was brand new. In Android world, the cleanup of device is so simple. This feature does not compromise any security protection in place. But, Apple will not provide such feature. Apple wants your device to get into activation lock, abandon it and force you to buy new one. It's call civilized extortion..
    There is a setting for this. It is called RESET to FACTORY!
  • Reply 64 of 66
    If the NAB wants an FM radio in the hands of all disaster victims, they should prod FEMA to put a small FM radio with earphones and batteries in every disaster kit delivered to the disaster area. Open the radio, slap in the batteries, plug in the earbuds, then turn on and tune! Walmart sells them for less than $10, which means they actually cost $1 or less to make, and will cost the government less than $100 to include in each kit; including bribes and kickbacks. /s
    GG1
  • Reply 65 of 66
    appex said:
    Scenarios like this reveal the true commitment of companies to people and the environment. But since they are usually too busy making money instead, there is a good final solution. Regulate it by law. End of problem. Forever.
    I stand corrected on a previous remark I made about the dumbest thing I've heard all week.
    I expect that kind of comment from some people, but not from you, Mike. You're better than this. Insults contribute nothing to the dialog. Besides, you're a representative of Apple Insider so you're held to a higher standard.

If you disagree with what someone writes, explain why. If there's misinformation, correct it. Denigrating others accomplishes nothing.

I quit reading Apple Insider for a while because of the toxic forum environment. When I checked back in for some specific information I found the situation had improved so I stuck around. People like you provide the leadership in that direction. Showing basic respect for others and common civility create a better environment for disseminating useful and accurate information.

Thank you for your interesting articles and helpful follow-up posts in the forums.
    Okay, fine:

From the article: Apple said in response to the FCC that the FM radio isn't included in the modem chipset.
    Also from the article: there is no antenna connection from the modem chipset suitable for FM.
    Also from the article: there is no headphone jack to allow for a 2 meter antenna.

So, sure. Let's propose it be regulated it by law. Let's force Apple to turn it on, somehow, magically. And, let's reiterate the claim from the previous article, already refuted profoundly and with no wiggle room, that Apple must do so. So, sure, let's go ahead and put this on Apple for a one-way communication method, instead of the carriers to keep their two-way method up to snuff.

You know what would be even better for disasters? AM radio. But yet, somehow, there's no call for them to implement it -- and it would require the same engineering effort to do so since FM is literally not able to be turned on.

The poster I responded to historically posts factually-light responses, paired with a willful lack of reading comprehension, and the seeming inability to understand that Apple operates outside his needs. This time was sadly no different. I have tried over many dozens of articles to educate accordingly, and yet somehow, here we are.

Regarding respect. I have it for 99.9% of you, even the ones I disagree with profoundly - and respect is my default condition. That remaining 0.1 percent that took it upon themselves to prove themselves not worthy of it? That's a different matter.
    I get it -- some comments seem to defy reason. When the effort of presenting an alternative view seems like too much effort (or utterly futile) I try to just ignore it and move on.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    MacPro said:
    I've waivered about staying at AI after all these years, especially because of a certain Google plant.
    Are you talking about Gatorguy? If so, I'm on the opposite side of that sentiment. He's one of the reasons I *like* this forum. He tempers unbridled fanboyism with rational, impassionate, objective views.

MacPro said:
    Mike is one of the best these days
    Agreed.

MacPro said:
    along with my personal long standing hero DED.
    Again, we're of differing views. I can't take anything Daniel writes seriously, because he presents everything through a lens of Apple as omnipotent deity and any criticism, alternative viewpoint, or competitor activity as wrong and possibly even motivated by evil intent. I swear, if Apple had Samsung's burning battery issue he would present it as an undocumented hand-warming feature.