Rumor claims Apple cutting iPhone 8 production orders in half

Comments

• Reply 61 of 95
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Soli said:
    jdgaz said:
    X marks the spot for me.
    I'm likely skipping both new iPhones this year for several reasons:
    • I prefer the size of the Plus so going to an iPhone X means going back down to a smaller overall device, especially on the one display axis. There's evidence that a Plus size of the X design is possible next year.
    WTF??? So in your detailed analysis you somehow fail to realize that although the X has a slightly smaller form factor, it actually has a larger screen than an 8+ (5.8 vs 5.5)???? It also has HDR, and a contrast ratio of 1,000,000 to 1 vs 1,300 to 1.

IT IS A PLUS!!!!
    edited October 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 62 of 95
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    freerange said:
    Soli said:
    jdgaz said:
    X marks the spot for me.
    • I prefer the size of the Plus so going to an iPhone X means going back down to a smaller overall device, especially on the one display axis. There's evidence that a Plus size of the X design is possible next year.
    WTF??? So in your detailed post you somehow fail to realize that although the X has a slightly smaller form factor, it actually has a larger screen than an 8+ (5.8 vs 5.5)???? It also has wide color gamut, and a contrast ratio of 1,000,000 to 1 vs 1,300 to 1.

IT IS A PLUS!!!!
    No, it's not a Plus. It has the width in portrait mode is the same as the 4.7" iPhone, hence my comment specifically referring to the "one display axis." It's also being measured from the box form, not from where the actual display ends on the curves, but even if was using squared corners it still has the same issue in size because of the width on the one axis and the notch which would make it an issue seeing fullscreen videos, and that's before we consider watching videos at the 16:9 aspect ratio. It's also less total area than the iPhone 7 Plus, but I don't care about that measure because it's irrelevant to my utility. Hence, I'll gladly wait for a 6.4" model which matches the iPhone 7 Plus display width.

I don't know how this is news to you, but here are some images to give you a visual of what I stated that shows that it's not larger than the Plus' usable area.

edited October 2017 lbarry74airnerd
  • Reply 63 of 95
    What seems to be strange to me is that they’re not taking preorders online already. It would certainly help them gauge real interest and buying intent for the X.
  • Reply 64 of 95
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Apple seems to have too many phones for the average non tech person to choose between at the moment: X (available soon) and 8 using A11 chips, 7 using A10, 6S and SE using A9. For base models the lowest price is 349 and the highest 999. It might be slightly easier if the models were renames by the chip, then there would only be three model ranges. but then new tech with the X might not be so obvious.  There such a broad range now that the new model 8 may not stand out so much as in the past. Could this contribute to less demand for the 8?
    GeorgeBMacradarthekat
  • Reply 65 of 95
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,698member
    dachar said:
    Apple seems to have too many phones for the average non tech person to choose between at the moment: X (available soon) and 8 using A11 chips, 7 using A10, 6S and SE using A9. For base models the lowest price is 349 and the highest 999. It might be slightly easier if the models were renames by the chip, then there would only be three model ranges. but then new tech with the X  might not be so obvious.  There such a broad range now that the new model 8 may not stand out so much as in the past. Could this contribute to less demand for the 8?
    Yes. However that was part of the plan from the outset. Apple knows some people will take an older phone over a new one. As they try to develop the services arm of their business and deal with competitors encroaching on their traditional territory, they need to keep unit sales ticking over. They are fishing in new ponds while keeping high end (or ultra high end) options open.
    GeorgeBMacGG1radarthekatmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 66 of 95
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Dumbest rumor ever, they got the X coming and didn't in previous years. Man, people wanting to tank the Apple stock are really working hard at it. Must have a position in the market they must play.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 67 of 95
    If true, this isn’t shocking. I’ve said it since the rumors started about 3 iPhones being announced this year. I just don’t get the iPhone 8/8 Plus. If you’re budget conscious or someone who doesn’t need the latest and greatest, then get an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus at a substantial discount. They are plenty powerful, packed with features, can handle most new stuff introduced in iOS 11, offer a great camera and basically the same aesthetics as an iPhone 8. If your someone who likes to be on the cutting edge or just has money to burn, grab the iPhone X which is obviously a much larger departure from the 7 series than the 8 is. I know it’s anecdotal but I have yet to see an iPhone 8/8 Plus in the wild. I work in a building with over 500 people so I need a pretty large group of people on a daily basis. Most of my friends, family and close co-workers who plan on upgrading are waiting for the X. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 68 of 95
    The headphone jack is still a huge mistake.  If you look at the resale values of the iPhone 6/6S, they retail value much better than the 7.  In just one year the iPhone 7 dropped 30-40% in value overall while the iPhone 6 is still worth around 40% of MSRP.  The iPhone 6S lost only around 25-30% of it's MSRP.  I still see mint condition 6S Plus going for $500+ when it's brand new for $700.

That's their mistake of taking out a key feature and not giving back a better solution.  I see more people with the iPhone 6/6S than 7, I haven't seen or heard anyone with a 8 yet and nobody I know wants the X because of Face ID implications.

• Reply 69 of 95
    freerange said:
    Soli said:
    jdgaz said:
    X marks the spot for me.
    WTF??? So in your detailed analysis you somehow fail to realize that although the X has a slightly smaller form factor, it actually has a larger screen than an 8+ (5.8 vs 5.5)???? It also has HDR, and a contrast ratio of 1,000,000 to 1 vs 1,300 to 1.

IT IS A PLUS!!!!
    No it is not a Plus iPhone. Its width is the same as iPhone 6, so same limitations with any non-Plus model in landscape use. Those who need a larger screen are offered the iPhone 8 Plus or 7 Plus options, the X may not be their first choice.
    edited October 2017 Soli
  • Reply 70 of 95
    I purchased an iPhone 8 Plus because I like the glass design, it's amazingly fast, and the camera has been an awesome upgrade. Also, because I knew that supplies of X would be very limited and I wanted to have a good phone while I either waited it out for the X or just pass it up for the next generation. The iPhone 8 is a great phone.
    macplusplusGeorgeBMacradarthekatbrucemc
  • Reply 71 of 95
    vision33r said:
    The headphone jack is still a huge mistake.
    I agree, which is why I'm glad they finally got rid of it. :smiley: 

If you look at the resale values of the iPhone 6/6S, they retail value much better than the 7.  In just one year the iPhone 7 dropped 30-40% in value overall while the iPhone 6 is still worth around 40% of MSRP.  The iPhone 6S lost only around 25-30% of it's MSRP.  I still see mint condition 6S Plus going for $500+ when it's brand new for $700.

I don't understand your numbers. Post exact figures. For example, here's AI's trade-in round up from 2016 where the iPhone 6s would get you $275. Today, the iPhone 7 will get you $325.

If you're not comparing YoY figures you're doing it wrong. If you're scraping a percentage off the top on one and then calculating a percentage to the bottom on the other you're being disingenuous.

That's their mistake of taking out a key feature and not giving back a better solution.  I see more people with the iPhone 6/6S than 7, I haven't seen or heard anyone with a 8 yet and nobody I know wants the X because of Face ID implications.

1) You're seeing more models of 2 years of sales from two different models more than one model from one year of sales? Shocker!

2) How do you know which phones are iPhone 6/6s/7 with a simple glance? I certainly can't get a good look at antenna bar placement with people passing me on the street.

edited October 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 72 of 95
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    For myself, advising a friend, part of the trouble is the "Memory gap":  Where it jumps from 64Gb @ $700 to 256Gb @ $850.

The 64Gb is too small for her.
    The 256Gb is too expensive for her.

So, she keeps using the iPhone 5 I gave her when her iPhone 6 was stolen.
    1) She bought an iPhone 6 so we can assume that if she didn't get hers stolen and you give her a hand-me-down she's be using it for 3 years, going on 4 now. Rounding down to 3 years that's only $50 per year to get the capacity that she needs to support her excessive data use, which I assume is a bunch of music she can't possibly listen to.

2) So instead of Apple's previous solution of $100 for doubling the capacity they double it twice for twice the cost, which comes out to being a substantially lower cost at only 78¢ per GB, whereas she's willing to pay double that at $1.56  per GB. And that's before we consider that Apple could've kept the entry-level at 32GB and made 128GB an upper tier which would've cost her even more had NAND prices not been where they are for this release, which shows that it's a psychological issue, not a financial one.

3) Considering points 1 and 2 that means in 3 years time she's only spending $50 more what she's willing to pay, which is under $17 a year, or $1.38 per month. Is that really worth sticking with an iPhone that's over 5 year old? Personally, that sounds like a ridiculous line in the sand to draw.
    Statistics don't change facts -- just justify arguments.
    ... You're argument is she should buy an 8 and you justified/rationalized that.
    ... The fact is, she doesn't want to spend that much on an iPhone.

Sorry, facts win.
    Facts do win, hence my calculations on the matter. Her not wanting to pay an extra $50 for another 128GB for another whatever her likely duration is an entirely different matter to which she has every right to make sophistic decisions, but it's not "facts" that are keeping her from buying, it's psychology. If you don't think so then you need to look into why products—which include nearly everything Apple sells—end in a 9 instead of being rounded to the nearest dollar -or- you can argue why $1 is a deal breaker for and 99¢ is perfectly reasonable.
    Sorry...
    You site statistics
    The FACT is, she doesn't want to pay that much.
    Right. I said that, but that's not the point. If I try to sell you a $50k car for $1 and you say you won't pay a penny more than 99¢ it's then a FACT that you'll only pay up to 99¢, but that doesn't mean it's a reasonable action on your part.
    Who said it has to be "reasonable"?   (Especially when you get to define what is reasonable -- and then back up your logic with cherry picked statistics?)
    ...  FACT:   $850 is more than she's willing to pay for a phone.
  • Reply 73 of 95
    Soli said:
    For myself, advising a friend, part of the trouble is the "Memory gap":  Where it jumps from 64Gb @ $700 to 256Gb @ $850.

1) She bought an iPhone 6 so we can assume that if she didn't get hers stolen and you give her a hand-me-down she's be using it for 3 years, going on 4 now. Rounding down to 3 years that's only $50 per year to get the capacity that she needs to support her excessive data use, which I assume is a bunch of music she can't possibly listen to.

2) So instead of Apple's previous solution of $100 for doubling the capacity they double it twice for twice the cost, which comes out to being a substantially lower cost at only 78¢ per GB, whereas she's willing to pay double that at $1.56  per GB. And that's before we consider that Apple could've kept the entry-level at 32GB and made 128GB an upper tier which would've cost her even more had NAND prices not been where they are for this release, which shows that it's a psychological issue, not a financial one.

3) Considering points 1 and 2 that means in 3 years time she's only spending $50 more what she's willing to pay, which is under $17 a year, or $1.38 per month. Is that really worth sticking with an iPhone that's over 5 year old? Personally, that sounds like a ridiculous line in the sand to draw.

Sorry, facts win.
    It’s not facts, it’s silly emotion. The iphone 5 only had up to 64gb storage. so she’s going to use a 5 with only 64gb because the 8 with 64gb is not enough. hmmm...
    It's quite a marvel how some can justify their conclusion with "facts"...
  • Reply 74 of 95

supadav03 said:
    If true, this isn’t shocking. I’ve said it since the rumors started about 3 iPhones being announced this year. I just don’t get the iPhone 8/8 Plus. If you’re budget conscious or someone who doesn’t need the latest and greatest, then get an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus at a substantial discount. They are plenty powerful, packed with features, can handle most new stuff introduced in iOS 11, offer a great camera and basically the same aesthetics as an iPhone 8. If your someone who likes to be on the cutting edge or just has money to burn, grab the iPhone X which is obviously a much larger departure from the 7 series than the 8 is. I know it’s anecdotal but I have yet to see an iPhone 8/8 Plus in the wild. I work in a building with over 500 people so I need a pretty large group of people on a daily basis. Most of my friends, family and close co-workers who plan on upgrading are waiting for the X. 
    Apparently the 8 series is under pressure from two opposite ends, the high-end X and the low-end 7 series. Maybe the main reason behind Apple cutting down 8 production is the unexpected performance the 7 series still shows. I don't think Apple would cut down the production of 8 relying solely on the expectations for the untested, not tried X model. The performance of 7 might have more weight in this decision. Apple thinks differently from the consumer. We care about purchasing the latest and the best. Apple cares about just selling iPhones, whatever they are. They don't disclose sales numbers per model, they just release sales numbers for the whole iPhone range. Of course this approach is better for the consumer.
    GeorgeBMacbrucemc
  • Reply 75 of 95
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:

Sorry, facts win.
    Facts do win, hence my calculations on the matter. Her not wanting to pay an extra $50 for another 128GB for another whatever her likely duration is an entirely different matter to which she has every right to make sophistic decisions, but it's not "facts" that are keeping her from buying, it's psychology. If you don't think so then you need to look into why products—which include nearly everything Apple sells—end in a 9 instead of being rounded to the nearest dollar -or- you can argue why $1 is a deal breaker for and 99¢ is perfectly reasonable.
    Sorry...
    You site statistics
    Right. I said that, but that's not the point. If I try to sell you a $50k car for $1 and you say you won't pay a penny more than 99¢ it's then a FACT that you'll only pay up to 99¢, but that doesn't mean it's a reasonable action on your part.
    Who said it has to be "reasonable"?   (Especially when you get to define what is reasonable -- and then back up your logic with cherry picked statistics?)
    ...  FACT:   $850 is more than she's willing to pay for a phone.
    Right, which is my original comment, which included copious FACTS, including the word willing. I even put in italics for you. If your reasoning is that if the will to do something is all that's needed to make it logical then you may as well just say that Stephen Paddock's motives were sound.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 76 of 95

Soli said:
    Soli said:

Sorry, facts win.
    Sorry...
    You site statistics
    yes, he’s stating facts about what the actual cost is. you’re stating she doesn’t care about facts. so let’s cut to the chase - so what?? what is so noteworthy about your friend not wanting to study the actual facts of the cost of these devices and instead doing something largely irrational? why share this?
    She is only irrational by YOUR definition -- which is pretty one sided.
    Because you have different priorities for your money doesn't make her priorities incorrect.
    And besides, even if you were correct, there is no requirement that an Apple customer has to be "rational" (Meaning they make their decisions based upon the criteria that you set).

So:  Why did I share it?  Because I suspect that she is a much more typical customer than you are.

BTW, I have some beach front property in Puerto Rico to sell.   It's half off -- and you would be irrational not to buy it.  Why?  Because it's half off and, by my definition, you would be irrational not to buy it.
  • Reply 77 of 95
    dachar said:
    Apple seems to have too many phones for the average non tech person to choose between at the moment: X (available soon) and 8 using A11 chips, 7 using A10, 6S and SE using A9. For base models the lowest price is 349 and the highest 999. It might be slightly easier if the models were renames by the chip, then there would only be three model ranges. but then new tech with the X might not be so obvious.  There such a broad range now that the new model 8 may not stand out so much as in the past. Could this contribute to less demand for the 8?
    While I think that its great that Apple is offering so many options, I can also see that causing "Paralysis of Analysis" for many.
    ...  "Well, this one would be good.   But this one has this advantage.   And this one has this advantage.  And this one has this advantage....   Oh, I'll think about this later...."
  • Reply 78 of 95

Soli said:
    Soli said:

Sorry, facts win.
    Sorry...
    You site statistics
    yes, he’s stating facts about what the actual cost is. you’re stating she doesn’t care about facts. so let’s cut to the chase - so what?? what is so noteworthy about your friend not wanting to study the actual facts of the cost of these devices and instead doing something largely irrational? why share this?
    She is only irrational by YOUR definition -- which is pretty one sided.
    Because you have different priorities for your money doesn't make her priorities incorrect.
    And besides, even if you were correct, there is no requirement that an Apple customer has to be "rational" (Meaning they make their decisions based upon the criteria that you set).

So:  Why did I share it?  Because I suspect that she is a much more typical customer than you are.

BTW, I have some beach front property in Puerto Rico to sell.   It's half off -- and you would be irrational not to buy it.  Why?  Because it's half off and, by my definition, you would be irrational not to buy it.
    The facts are about the actual cost. The silliness is to say that $50 over 3 years is such an unwieldily price jump for someone in the market for a brand new, top of the line iPhone that they'd continue using an iPhone into it's 6th year. The irrationality is claiming that you need a minimum of 128GB when we know there current iPhone has less than half that space for user storage, a point I didn't even pick on. The insanity is ignoring the facts, pooh-poohing Apple for not offering an exact size jump only because they used to offer it, and then defending this poor psychology.
    GG1
  • Reply 79 of 95
    dachar said:
    While I think that its great that Apple is offering so many options, I can also see that causing "Paralysis of Analysis" for many.
    Oy, vey! You've just been going on about Apple needing to offer a 128GB model of the iPhone 7! That's another model per display size per cellular radio, which is at least 8 more SKUs for the US market alone! Apple can't win even when they drop the price of NAND upgrades considerably.

This isn't unlike people bitching about gasoline going up by a penny or stores charging a 10¢ bag fee while out a bar drink drinking a $14 Moscow mule or at dinner with an $80 bottle of wine. If was really about pinching pennies then you wouldn't be in those environments just as she wouldn't be considering a brand new iPhone with a capacity tier that far exceeds what's she's currently using.
    edited October 2017 radarthekat
  • Reply 80 of 95
    airnerd said:
    I could see this as happening.  This is purely anecdotal but I don't know a single person with an iPhone 8.  Everyone either is sticking with their current iPhone or wanting to wait to see what the X actually has going for it.  No one seems to care about wireless charging. Everyone that wasn't a die hard Apple ecosystem person went to Android if wireless charging was a big deal.  If they wanted it and are part of the Apple Ecosystem then they are wanting the better phone so waiting for X.  Doesn't leave a lot of demand for the 8. 

Just my opinion and not hating on Apple.  
    I tend to agree with you...
    airnerd