Apple issues fifth macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 beta to developers, second released in a week...

Posted:
in macOS
Three days after the last macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 beta, Apple has issued another one for developers with a very small increment in build numbers.

Thursday's High Sierra has a build number of 17B46a -- an increment of only one digit after Monday's. The iOS 11 beta release on Monday at the same time as the fourth High Sierra beta was only an increment of one digit from the previous, so the pair of operating systems are likely imminent.

It is unclear at this time what has been changed or added.

Apple last updated macOS High Sierra on Oct. 6 with a supplemental release designed to patch critical Disk Utility and Keychain vulnerabilities. The update also fixed a mail deletion issue in Mail and a graphical bug seen when using Adobe InDesign.

High Sierra debuted in September with marquee features like the new Apple File System (APFS), support for Metal 2 graphics, H.265 integration, an improved Safari experience and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Apple seems to have eliminated the ability to download the 10.12.6 Sierra installer in the App store as a previously 'Purchased' option, so unless one made a backup, or uses the repair disk option, fresh installs are forced onto a 10.13.0 macOS...

Has Apple crossed both draconian and practical lines here?

• Reply 2 of 15
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,371member
    The iOS 11.1 beta 5 is also available
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    dewme said:
    The iOS 11.1 beta 5 is also available
    Yup, came out on Monday.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Up and running the 17B46a build on an external SSD on my Mid 2012 Retina MBP.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I'm still on Sierra. APFS makes me a bit concerned. I have lots of important files, which are backed up three different places, but I would hate to have something go wrong during the update. Also I have a lot of files with foreign language file names and external drives that I use on various machines which I've read could be an issue. For example I make a backup from my iMac to an external drive and use that on my MBP when I travel. I don't want to have to convert all my macs and storage at the same time in order to be compatible. In fact my older Mac Pro is running Yosemite and I don't think it can even be upgraded. I'll wait until the new file system is on at least version 2 before I risk it. There is not a lot of info out there regarding APFS. For example the Wikipedia page is really short and also rather vague about many aspects of APFS.
    razorpit
  • Reply 6 of 15
    APFS is still not ready for Prime Time and third party apps like Disk Warrior are not ready to work with the new file system. Again Apple has released as a Gold Master software not fully baked.

Meawhile, Apple is hiring TV and movie executives and redecorating Apple Stores. Not a peep about the mythical new Mac Pro. Tim says the outdated Mac mini is important to Apple, but apparently not as important as anything running iOS. Not buying a $5,000 iMac.

I am seriously wondering if my next Desktop should be running Windows 10 after using Apples since Carter was in the White House.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    volcan said:
    I'm still on Sierra. APFS makes me a bit concerned. I have lots of important files, which are backed up three different places, but I would hate to have something go wrong during the update. Also I have a lot of files with foreign language file names and external drives that I use on various machines which I've read could be an issue. For example I make a backup from my iMac to an external drive and use that on my MBP when I travel. I don't want to have to convert all my macs and storage at the same time in order to be compatible. In fact my older Mac Pro is running Yosemite and I don't think it can even be upgraded. I'll wait until the new file system is on at least version 2 before I risk it. There is not a lot of info out there regarding APFS. For example the Wikipedia page is really short and also rather vague about many aspects of APFS.
    I’m hoping you know that you are not forced to update to APFS in High Sierra.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

APFS is still not ready for Prime Time and third party apps like Disk Warrior are not ready to work with the new file system. Again Apple has released as a Gold Master software not fully baked.

Meawhile, Apple is hiring TV and movie executives and redecorating Apple Stores. Not a peep about the mythical new Mac Pro. Tim says the outdated Mac mini is important to Apple, but apparently not as important as anything running iOS. Not buying a $5,000 iMac.

I am seriously wondering if my next Desktop should be running Windows 10 after using Apples since Carter was in the White House.
    Be our guest. You will not be missed. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 15
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    lkrupp said:
    volcan said:
    I’m hoping you know that you are not forced to update to APFS in High Sierra.
    SSD drives are converted and it's not optional. The only way around this is to use Terminal, if you know what you are doing.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 10 of 15
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member

Apple seems to have eliminated the ability to download the 10.12.6 Sierra installer in the App store as a previously 'Purchased' option, so unless one made a backup, or uses the repair disk option, fresh installs are forced onto a 10.13.0 macOS...

Sierra is still there, it's just hidden. Here's the App Store link.
    boboliciousbobolicious
  • Reply 11 of 15
    jabohn said:

Sierra is still there, it's just hidden. Here's the App Store link.
    Thanks very much - I almost posted it myself, but was unsure of the tracking... Indeed seemingly consciously hidden, buried, entombed - and so I ask why... with such a seeming effort to restrict choice and user experience efficacy, on an X.0 release...? For what it is worth I still like Snow, and the aqua interface of many years ago...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    No plans to upgrade since the installer deletes so many applications for no apparent reason. Waiting to see i the point upgrade fixes this.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

don't just talk about it. knock yourself out.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    illustrator cs6 now works. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

1) APFS is ready for prime time, assuming you have a SSD. It was no surprise it was coming, as it was released in 2016. Disk Warrior may not be ready -- but that is not on Apple. I'm not thrilled about the Fusion Drive absence, but they made the right call to exclude it for now.

2) App stores and movie execs: yes, but unrelated to any of your complaints. Mythical Mac Pro: they told us in April that it was coming "not this year" which is more information than we've ever had about a forthcoming product plan. I am not in the market for a $5000 iMac either -- but if you're saying that Apple has never done such pricing, you'd be dramatically mistaken.

iOS owners outnumber Mac owners 22:1, and out-earn the Mac owners 9 or so to 1. As a company, who would you put more effort into? 

3) Around here, "Carter was in the White House" doesn't make you special, nor earn you any extra points. In fact, it probably puts you in about 50% of the AI forumers, and 75  % of the staff and ownership. 

Related, and I've said this before, Apple owes us nothing. Likewise, we owe Apple nothing -- if you want to go, then go. 
    edited October 2017