Apple outs tvOS 11.1 for Apple TV with fix for KRACK Wi-Fi vulnerability & minor changes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2017
Apple on Tuesday put out tvOS 11.1, a maintenance update for the Apple TV and Apple TV 4K that nevertheless includes one important addition: a fix for the KRACK WPA2 vulnerability in devices with Wi-Fi.

The problem has also been fixed in iOS 11.1, watchOS 4.1, and macOS 10.13.1. For a person to be targeted, both a router and connected Wi-Fi device must be vulnerable to the KRACK exploit, but if so it's possible for a hacker to launch a man-in-the-middle attack and bypass encryption.

Earlier this month, Apple confirmed plans to release fixes across all its software platforms.

The tvOS 11.1 update otherwise concentrates on bugfixes and performance boosts.

If automatic software updates aren't turned on, users can force a download to start by going into the Settings app, selecting System, Software Updates, and then "Update Software."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I've been waiting for this ... I hope it fixes some of the streaming issues I have with 4K movies from my iTunes Library! Sadly NOT :-(
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Hope this fixes the issue with Ethernet. Really prefer to use my ATV 4K hardwired than via WiFi. 
    edited October 2017 maciekskontakt
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    supadav03 said:
    Hope this fixes the issue with Ethernet. Really prefer to use my ATV 4K hardwired than via WiFi. 
    What ethernet issue do you have?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    supadav03 said:
    That is exactly what I thought I still prefer GigabitEthernet over fancy WiFi, but unfortunatelly I have to use WiFi for AppleTV... and I am on older model that apparently Apple does not care anymore and KRACK is okay or we need to spend money on new device and then update it with security patch. I think about going proper KRACK patched router/bridge locally and disable Apple WiFi altogether. It loos like these days TP-Link has far more reliable and fast WiFi solutions than Apple and it works with anything. Now having said that KRACK is WiFi issue - not Ethernet.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 5 of 11
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    supadav03 said:
    I had an early ethernet issue too. When connected via ethernet wire, ATV would disable AirPlay.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I hope it fixes Screen Sync, because it does not work for me at all.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    Can anyone explain to me why if I have automatic updates ON, I always have to go into settings to update it?
    edited October 2017 unbeliever2
  • Reply 8 of 11
    supadav03 said:
    When hooking up my ATV 4K directly to Ethernet it would lose internet connection shortly after. Called Apple & they opened up a case. Got a call back said it’s a know issue and fix was being worked on. Haven’t update, as of yet, to 11.1 so I don’t know if it makes a difference yet. 
    edited October 2017 winstoner71
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I upgraded to tvOS 11. The UI was so bad and functionality was a huge backwards step I had to downgrade it and turn off auto updates. Why couldn't I just get a list of unwatched items from my itunes library. It became near impossible to find that content but is super easy in tvOS10. Apple definitely isn't as user friendly as 5 years ago.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    supadav03 said:
    supadav03 said:
    When hooking up my ATV 4K directly to Ethernet it would lose internet connection shortly after. Called Apple & they opened up a case. Got a call back said it’s a know issue and fix was being worked on. Haven’t update, as of yet, to 11.1 so I don’t know if it makes a difference yet. 
    Thanks for being proactive with this issue. I got the ATV 4K opening day, brought it home, wired it up, then thought I had a lemon. Only worked via WiFi and I wanted it wired to my Gigabit internet service. Ended up buying Cat6 and Cat7 Ethernet cables because of this. Eventually I was gonna call it in but kept procrastimating. Since the 11.1 update, wired it up with the Cat7 cable and it's working like a dream. At least for me, that wired bug has been fixed. Great job Apple. 
    supadav03
  • Reply 11 of 11
    supadav03 said:
    supadav03 said:
    Thanks for being proactive with this issue. I got the ATV 4K opening day, brought it home, wired it up, then thought I had a lemon. Only worked via WiFi and I wanted it wired to my Gigabit internet service. Ended up buying Cat6 and Cat7 Ethernet cables because of this. Eventually I was gonna call it in but kept procrastimating. Since the 11.1 update, wired it up with the Cat7 cable and it's working like a dream. At least for me, that wired bug has been fixed. Great job Apple. 
    Awesome. Just got around to updating and reconnecting via Ethernet cable and it’s working perfectly for me too.