iPhone X tips: Miss the home button? Here's how to add a virtual one

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:
    How is it you see it during a video when videos by default don’t zoom in to take the whole screen? I never zoomed in my videos on older phones because it clips the edges of the video content, so why would I start now??
    Isn't that the whole point of the X? Apple has invented a new look for videos (and content) with rounded corners and a notch in one side? It's the new video fashion statement. :) (I'm joking a bit here... but if you see screen shots where you don't go full-screen with apps and videos, then it looks more odd, IMO, than the Android phones that just embraced a small bar on each end.)

StrangeDays said:
    You may not be sure, but Craig Federighi, head of software engineering, is sure. It's been explained many times. All apps (with the exception of select process types like GPS and music) go into a suspended state after a short time. This is done by iOS, not the app devs. Their states are frozen to the file system, and when you come back they are unfrozen to resume operations. Killing the app forces it to restart from full stop, which takes more processing/energy to accomplish. It's akin to shutting off you car engine at every stop sign -- sorta makes sense, but is actually stupid. 

iOS engineers have chimed in the same on John Gruber's twitter. There's no ambiguity about it. And no, apps cannot use the camera from the background, your privacy concerns are just FUD.
    These are the same guys that said the 3.5mm jack was a 'legacy port.' Marketing fluff. If you can't tell the difference, you're going to get burned, my friend. :) Companies say a lot of things about the capabilities of their products and technologies that are stretched a bit. Apple also claims you can trust their cloud and things all work seamlessly that don't always.

And, yes, I've been reading those same article for years now. It's partly true, but in reality (it's more advanced than on other OSs), but there are exceptions. When my wife or son's iPad start acting odd, SOP is to quit the zillions of apps they have running and restart. That usually clears up the issues, even though Craig would say that's unnecessary.

re: car engine - which is why some of the more advanced vehicles now do this?

StrangeDays said:
    No, it's not a swipe from off-screen. There's a section of the screen at the bottom that is dedicated to the Home Indicator, that you "grab" and drag up. It's easier that the old control center gesture.

Also, it's actually a single tap to wake from sleep, assuming you didn't use raise-to-wake.
    Ahh, OK. Thanks. I've seen the little bar, but thought there were additional off-screen swipes. That makes it a bit better, though it's still very close to the bottom of the screen (probably lower than where the edge would be on an SE/7). But, I guess the physical home button is quite low as well when you have to reach for it.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    wood1208 said:
    If iPhone X and IOS 11, virtual home button appears under screen as picture and explanation suggested, it is like a home button under screen !!!. Tell you the truth, i played with iPhone X a bit and the black thin bar at the bottom for swipe up to get to the Home screen is awesome. I wish Apple just add that to the rest of iPhones so I don't have to click Home button to get to Home screen. Double tap to wake up screen and should do the same double tap where no apps are located to put the screen to sleep.
    My wife complained about iPhone X on the first day she used it. She hated that there's no home button and she got to change the way she used the phone. I plan if she doesn't like it, I swap the SIM with my 7 to stop her from whining by my ears. After the second day, I don't hear the complaint anymore. So, I'm screwed for the chance to own that iPhone X.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,055member
    cgWerks said:
    StrangeDays said:
    How is it you see it during a video when videos by default don’t zoom in to take the whole screen? I never zoomed in my videos on older phones because it clips the edges of the video content, so why would I start now??
    Isn't that the whole point of the X? Apple has invented a new look for videos (and content) with rounded corners and a notch in one side? It's the new video fashion statement. :) (I'm joking a bit here... but if you see screen shots where you don't go full-screen with apps and videos, then it looks more odd, IMO, than the Android phones that just embraced a small bar on each end.)

StrangeDays said:
    You may not be sure, but Craig Federighi, head of software engineering, is sure. It's been explained many times. All apps (with the exception of select process types like GPS and music) go into a suspended state after a short time. This is done by iOS, not the app devs. Their states are frozen to the file system, and when you come back they are unfrozen to resume operations. Killing the app forces it to restart from full stop, which takes more processing/energy to accomplish. It's akin to shutting off you car engine at every stop sign -- sorta makes sense, but is actually stupid. 

iOS engineers have chimed in the same on John Gruber's twitter. There's no ambiguity about it. And no, apps cannot use the camera from the background, your privacy concerns are just FUD.
    These are the same guys that said the 3.5mm jack was a 'legacy port.' Marketing fluff. If you can't tell the difference, you're going to get burned, my friend. :) Companies say a lot of things about the capabilities of their products and technologies that are stretched a bit. Apple also claims you can trust their cloud and things all work seamlessly that don't always.

And, yes, I've been reading those same article for years now. It's partly true, but in reality (it's more advanced than on other OSs), but there are exceptions. When my wife or son's iPad start acting odd, SOP is to quit the zillions of apps they have running and restart. That usually clears up the issues, even though Craig would say that's unnecessary.

re: car engine - which is why some of the more advanced vehicles now do this?

StrangeDays said:
    No, it's not a swipe from off-screen. There's a section of the screen at the bottom that is dedicated to the Home Indicator, that you "grab" and drag up. It's easier that the old control center gesture.

Also, it's actually a single tap to wake from sleep, assuming you didn't use raise-to-wake.
    Ahh, OK. Thanks. I've seen the little bar, but thought there were additional off-screen swipes. That makes it a bit better, though it's still very close to the bottom of the screen (probably lower than where the edge would be on an SE/7). But, I guess the physical home button is quite low as well when you have to reach for it.
    1) No, it is certainly not the point of the X to intentionally zoom in on your videos. Not doing so does not "look odd" as you say, and in fact looks exactly how it looks on every single other iPhone -- normal. That's why it's the default. Zooming in on any iPhone, X or previous, chops off the sides of your video. Why would you do that?

2) Craig is software engineering, which has dick to do with "marketing fluff". Craig explained very clearly how iOS and multitasking works. If you choose to ignore it because you don't understand it, that's fine, but that's just willful ignorance on your part, and not "marketing fluff!" on anyone's part. Very strange decision. Do you work with computers on a regular basis? Your SOP of closing all apps and restarting is merely your personal superstition, I've never done this in my life. After a reboot the app-switcher is merely a list of recently-used apps since no application can be running after restarting iOS, so your SOP is a curious one.

3) You're getting confused in the analogy. I'm not discussing real cars or hybrids that do this, I'm discussing plain old cars -- manually stopping your engine at every red light or stop sign is indeed a stupid thing to do. When you force quit apps out of superstition that's exactly what you're doing -- you're not a hybrid engine, you're a guy turning off your engine at a red light to save gas. Nice idea but counter-productive for the reasons already explained. iOS already manages suspending and unsuspending apps so users don't have to. Trying to do it anyway is counter-productive as Craig and his engineers and other devs have explained.

• Reply 24 of 25
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:
    1) No, it is certainly not the point of the X to intentionally zoom in on your videos. Not doing so does not "look odd" as you say, and in fact looks exactly how it looks on every single other iPhone -- normal. That's why it's the default. Zooming in on any iPhone, X or previous, chops off the sides of your video. Why would you do that?
    Can you point to an example of Apple showing the iPhone X w/o the video zoomed to fill the entire screen?