Apple's 2018 iPhone X will have new metal frame allowing for faster wireless data transfer...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    So next Year’s iPhone Xs (ex-es; sounds like excess) or (ten-es; sounds like tennis). Regardless on what it will be, there will surely be more predictions and rumors to vilify or criticize the iPhone. 
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 22 of 28
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    robjn said:
    melgross said:
    What I don’t understand is why Apple can’t use a metal case, as they have been, with a cutout in the back for the oval charge coil. They could fill the oval with glass, or ceramic. It would be much less breakable.
    They could!

With the current design much the glass is supported by a steel sheet. This sheet has a cutout to create a ‘wireless charging’ window.

Apparently, Apple prefers the look of an ‘all glass’ back rather than a metal case with a glass window. Such a window would interfere with the iconic Apple Logo styling.
    Well, what I meant, and my comment was rhetorical, was why not have the outer case surround the glass cutout? This way, it wouldn’t be so breakable. I’m survapple could do something about the logo. It could be etched on the inside back of the glass. It’s not a problem.

it’s just so strange. They claim the glass is so strong, and yet, it breaks so easily. I would be happier if Apple paid more attention to sturdiness.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    jungmark said:
    melgross said:
    What I don’t understand is why Apple can’t use a metal case, as they have been, with a cutout in the back for the oval charge coil. They could fill the oval with glass, or ceramic. It would be much less breakable.
    A cutout? How would Apple attach the glass/ceramic to the metal case and have if flush with no seams? 
    It’s not as though this kind of thing would be unique. It’s been done. And Apple has had separate logos for years that went into a cutout in the case for many of their products. Really, it doesn’t even need to be glass. It could be (and I’ll say it for those who think that way - shudder!) plastic. The glass could be moulded to have a ridge round the edge. Seriously, this isn’t something that requires major thought pathways, it’s old technology.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Liquidmetal?
    If only... 
  • Reply 25 of 28
    unphocus said:
    So next Year’s iPhone Xs (ex-es; sounds like excess) or (ten-es; sounds like tennis). Regardless on what it will be, there will surely be more predictions and rumors to vilify or criticize the iPhone. 
    No way Apple makes an "iPhone Xs" (10-ess).  Sure, "6s" and "7s" is dumb, but they aren't going to come within a capitalization change of "extra small."

Perhaps they will start counting over, like they did with Mac OS X.  iPhone X-2 perhaps?  Maybe not.  I hope they go in a completely new direction.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Liquidmetal?
    That would be nice. But I doubt the practicalities of mass producing Liquidmetal at a reasonable price are anywhere near being solved yet...still we can dream! Is Apple still even trying to develop it for mass production at all? Its been very quiet on that front for a sometime now.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    1983 said:
    Liquidmetal?
    That would be nice. But I doubt the practicalities of mass producing Liquidmetal at a reasonable price are anywhere near being solved yet...still we can dream! Is Apple still even trying to develop it for mass production at all? Its been very quiet on that front for a sometime now.
    And that’s the problem. With some people’s fascination with the idea of this, they don’t bother to learn about all the problems. Liquidmetal is a very high value material. In order to do what it does, the alloys, even the cheaper ones, are pretty expensive. If Apple does ever have a product that uses this, I believe that it will be a high end version of the Apple Watch.

thats because the watch is small, so it won’t use much of the alloy, and Apple can charge more for it. It’s easier to do that with a Watch than a phone.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    tipoo said:
    Hoping for quad antenna LTE, makes a big difference in recovering from a dropped connection. 
    Yes. I think all the clues are there. Metal Composite is all about improving Structure, because the use of more Metal pieces.

The additional metal are highly likely to be 4x4 Antenna.

Intel XMM7560 next year will support 4x4 DL-MIMO, which improves speed and reception.

So what the analyst got wrong is the use of metal composite that makes signaling better, instead it really is the antenna design that provide that, and metal composite is solution for that design.

And it is quite a achievement if it is true, none of the current Mac has 4x4 802.11ac.