Some iPhone X owners report mystery green lines appearing on displays

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    I stopped beta testing Apple’s products with the orignal iphone.
  • Reply 42 of 60

Something is going on. My phone was suppose to be at my address on the 14th. It was held up in China for several days. Now the status has been changed to “your package is in transit”, and the date of arrival has changed to “we will let you know, loser”. 

• Reply 43 of 60
    Have this phone for a week. Need to decide if I am keeping it. FaceID is a pain in the rear. Most apps are not optimized for the notch so they are condensed. I realize app optimization will take time but $1200 with tax for this type of experience has been a bit of a bummer.
    How strange, Face ID isn’t problematic on mine. It’s “quite smooth”. 
    tshapi
  • Reply 44 of 60
    Have this phone for a week. Need to decide if I am keeping it. FaceID is a pain in the rear. Most apps are not optimized for the notch so they are condensed. I realize app optimization will take time but $1200 with tax for this type of experience has been a bit of a bummer.
    Its honestly Apple's fault for making the iPhone X such a joke. They should have given guidelines to developers for app optimization well before the release, so that by the time consumers got their hands on them the apps were optimized. Seriously? Hardware problems too? Apple literally had an extra month and a half to get their crap together for this phone. Face ID also barely works half the time. Not to mention the camera gets outgunned by the Note 8 in almost every aspect possible.
    Apple has encouraged developers to embrace the notch.  That sounds like guidelines to me 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 45 of 60
    lkrupp said:
    slurpy said:
    Green-line gate?

The problem with social media and the internet is that everything is magnified a thousand fold. Even if a dozen people have this issue, out of MILLIONS, everyone one of these stories is shared infinitely to millions of people, on thousands of sites and countless comments, and suddenly this infinitesimal small number starts to seem like half the units. 
    And you cannot convince people otherwise. Common sense flies out the window when it comes to the Internet. Add to that the rush to judgement by those with an axe to grind. Guess what, ever other phone on the market has these types of issues but we never hear about them. People are all over FaceID like flies on horse shit. Did that happen to Samsung when their facial recognition technology turned out to suck badly? Nope.
    And of course the pair of you are correct - a bright green line on a new, expensive phone is trivial, right? It's just media hyperbole...
    It is when it’s simply a manufacturing defect affecting an absurdly small percentages of units, yes. Get real. I’ve bought two and they’re fine, it’s not like some design defect where they decided to put green lines in the middle of the display. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 46 of 60

Its honestly Apple's fault for making the iPhone X such a joke. They should have given guidelines to developers for app optimization well before the release, so that by the time consumers got their hands on them the apps were optimized. Seriously? Hardware problems too? Apple literally had an extra month and a half to get their crap together for this phone. Face ID also barely works half the time. Not to mention the camera gets outgunned by the Note 8 in almost every aspect possible.
    Oh you mean like this:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/fall2017/801/

...yeah, they gave dev guidelines prior to the X hitting the market (released the day the X was announced). Some apps were ready, some have been too slow to adapt. Curious you blame Apple rather than the devs. Hmm.

Reading the rest of your post — oh, I see. You don’t have the X yet are trolling us anyway. Troll Score: 0 of 10. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 47 of 60

SebbCee said:
     I was going to buy an X but may hang in for the X+. I tried one and really do prefer touch ID a lot more than having to put the phone in front of my face the whole time. Also bezel is too skinny to hold easily without activating screen [same on iPad 10.5], battery life seems a lot worse than 8+ [despite it having more AH] and what do you get for the extra 20% over the proven 8+ ?
    Bogus. You don’t have to put the phone in front of your face. Jesus try harder:

https://youtu.be/cJZoTqtwGzY?t=1m57s

Troll Score: 0 of 10. 
  • Reply 48 of 60

fmalloy said:
    So when the screen was praised as the best ever, it was due to "Apple's brilliant design". Now that there's a problem, it's a "Samsung defect".

Amazing how that works.
    I know this must be a difficult concept for non-computer people to understand, but Apple does the custom design of the display and its driver component, while the manufacturer is responsible for producing them to the spec. Sometimes, physical materials fail and defects appear. When they are rare there is nothing noteworthy about this. Every product manufactured anywhere has a defect bin of missed-yield units.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 49 of 60
    I stopped beta testing Apple’s products with the orignal iphone.
    Yeah and you have been trolling the internet on all the apple sites extolling how much you dislike apple products ever since. Seriously i’ve read your nonsense for years, pending the question — neurosis or paycheck?
  • Reply 50 of 60
    After the original 2007 iPhone, my iPhone X is the most exciting Apple device I have owned. And the battery life, especially with the solid black wallpaper, easily lasts beyond a full day.
    Now if I could only decide between the Otterbox Commuter Series and Statement Series cases.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 51 of 60
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    fmalloy said:
    So when the screen was praised as the best ever, it was due to "Apple's brilliant design". Now that there's a problem, it's a "Samsung defect".

Amazing how that works.
    So what are you actually saying? There are so many troll like comments anymore on here I can't tell if you are making a point or trying to somehow be sarcastic? Did Samsung have more to do with the screen and controller design than we are aware of? Did you feel Samsung was slighted when the display review came back and people praised Apple's design? 

That is how you're comment came across to me, I just want to make sure that I am not taking you the wrong way.. please elaborate.. 
  • Reply 52 of 60
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    slurpy said:
    Green-line gate?

The problem with social media and the internet is that everything is magnified a thousand fold. Even if a dozen people have this issue, out of MILLIONS, everyone one of these stories is shared infinitely to millions of people, on thousands of sites and countless comments, and suddenly this infinitesimal small number starts to seem like half the units. 

Welcome to the Internet.

• Reply 53 of 60
    Sounds a lot like what Samsung had with the S7 , although for them it was a pink line , not a green one There isn't really anywhere else for Apple to go to for OLED though . Google did , and that turned out well for them
  • Reply 54 of 60
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    wood1208 said:
    This greengate is due to Samsung's evil strategy by it's OLED production quality control intentionally letting subpar OLED display panels pass through so at the end it makes Apple look bad.
    One has to wonder...
  • Reply 55 of 60
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

I notice some people are calling it the "Green line of death" despite the fact it doesn't actually seem to affect the phone, other than having a green line on the screen. I thought "...of death" meant the unit was completely useless. As in the original "Blue screen", the "red light" on the X-Box 360, and was it a "grey screen" on one update to Mac OS?

Of course, I know why people say "Green line of death" because it makes it sound worse than it actually is, and makes it sound like the phones are failing. Most importantly, it equates the problem to one of the more serious problems described above when it really isn't.

As for how long Apple will continue to replace units, isn't the standard warranty 1 year? And AppleCare + is 3? (If you bought that.) I've had faulty units replaced/repaired for free (usually on site within half an hour) despite being out of warranty by between 1 month and 6 months (in the case of my iPhone 6 that had that battery problem that definitely only affected the 6S). If you think they're suddenly going to stop that before the warranty period on the phone runs out, then you're just causing needless worry.

• Reply 56 of 60
    bluefire1 said:
    After the original 2007 iPhone, my iPhone X is the most exciting Apple device I have owned. And the battery life, especially with the solid black wallpaper, easily lasts beyond a full day.
    Now if I could only decide between the Otterbox Commuter Series and Statement Series cases.
    If I remember right, the Commuter Series is the less expensive one. I got an iPhone 6 this February after using the the iPhone 3G for 8 years (don't laugh, people, my smartphone needs are modest!) and coughed up close to $60 in INR to protect it with a Commuter Series case and it's been great. I can count at least three times when the phone fell sharply on one of its corners and at least a couple of times when it fell flat on its back from a table and the phone survived all the incidents without any damage, even without tempered glass. I am glad I got the case especially because I haven't purchased Apple Care yet or any other form of insurance.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    anome said:

I notice some people are calling it the "Green line of death" despite the fact it doesn't actually seem to affect the phone, other than having a green line on the screen. I thought "...of death" meant the unit was completely useless. As in the original "Blue screen", the "red light" on the X-Box 360, and was it a "grey screen" on one update to Mac OS?

Of course, I know why people say "Green line of death" because it makes it sound worse than it actually is, and makes it sound like the phones are failing. Most importantly, it equates the problem to one of the more serious problems described above when it really isn't. 

I would have called it Line Disease. 😉
  • Reply 58 of 60
    That's a "feature". Quality on rise at Apple. Sell more.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    freerange said:
    Please go away. You sound ridiculous. Very Trumpian.
    And this has what to do with Trump?

No, YOU please go away.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    Outgunned by Note 8? Haha. Bye Samsung Troll.
    Nice to see that you can't address any parts of my argument and simply call me a "Samsung Troll". 

Do you really think I would be browsing this site as a "Samsung Troll"?

It's quite clear that the Note 8 has a better camera than the X. The Pixel 2 XL is a step above both.