Apple designer Jony Ive defends ditching home button, other tech in interview about iPhone...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Blunt said:
    cpsro said:
    Instead, I'd prefer 90-degree corners, 16:9 aspect ratio, and the necessary small "chin" and "forehead" (can you say, "room for a larger battery, too"?).

From a design point of view this looks bad. The proportions just don't seem right. No graphic designer will use this kind of layout. Apples solution is much better. Look at the latest LG, looks like shit. The problem are the small chins, a bigger chin at the bottom will improve the design. LG home screen on the promo pics look like shit too, but that's another story.
    If graphic design was the sole concern, what graphic designer would throw in the notch? The Note 8 looks just fine, except for its stupid rounded edges (which some buyers probably think are really cool--puke!).  16:9 with square corners is far more functional/compatible. I'll take function over form any day, when the compromises are this small (but there'd be no patents for that).
    edited November 2017 dysamoriamuthuk_vanalingamaylk
  • Reply 22 of 74
    Uhhh, my X did not come with a Lightning to Standard headphone jack adapter like 7 did. Did I get cheated?
  • Reply 23 of 74
    I’m shocked they’ve been working on the X for 5 years...

Which parts?  There is a lot of innovative components in the device... I’m going to assume he was mostly referring to the removal of the Home button.

The future designs prototypes at Apple must be fascinating.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 74
    Uhhh, my X did not come with a Lightning to Standard headphone jack adapter like 7 did. Did I get cheated?
    Are you sure? They are on the bottom of insert with the EarPods. My X came with them.
    edited November 2017 caliwatto_cobralikethesky
  • Reply 25 of 74
    macxpress said:
    Apple execs like saying "it took courage" to do something. That's what they said when they removed the SD card slot from the Macbook Pro. I guess it took courage to ship a $3k under powered Macbook Pro that can't be upgraded... ever.
    Thats also the best selling Mac laptop...EVER! Take your whiny bitching elsewhere....Try MacRumors. They're good for that kind of thing. 
    Dells actually sell better than Apple laptops. That does not mean they are better.

The latest Macbook Pro is a complete failure

What is scarier, is that Apple keeps making excuses and failed to recognize the failure of the latest Macbook Pro.
    -No mag-safe (best feature ever)
    - Less ports
    - Less connectivity (multiple adaptors needed and you cannot connect your own iphone)
    -So called Pro, but do not have enough RAM
    - Not able to upgrade it. (soldered components)
    - problems with Battery.
    - Overpriced.

It is also scary that the entire computer line up has not been updated.
    - Mac minis
    - Mac Pros (another big failure)
    - iMac (although they updated the internals, the design has been the same for how many years now?). Compare to the Surface Pro, it is a joke.

So much for Apple innovation... it died with Jobs...
    dysamoriaaylk
  • Reply 26 of 74
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    cpsro said:
    If graphic design was the sole concern, what graphic designer would throw in the notch? The Note 8 looks just fine, except for its stupid rounded edges (which some buyers probably think are really cool--puke!).  16:9 with square corners is far more functional/compatible. I'll take function over form any day, when the compromises are this small (but there'd be no patents for that).

Wow you don't have a clue do you? First, the note looks like shit. Really hate that design. The propotions are way off. Of course Apple would rather build a full screen phone without a notch. But that's currently not possible. Then as designer you are looking for solutions.  Shapes like the notch are not new at all. You see it being used in some fullscreen sites or even brochures where the are used to place the logo. Same problem: the design would be better without the logo but it has to be there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 74
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    Peperino said:

Sigh. Macs still rule. Maybe laptops don't need innovation anymore. OSX still the best user experience. In the end thats all that matters.
    cornchipcaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 74
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Obviously, we was dealing with Critics, when dealing with critics you need to turn it around on them in this case ask them how much experience they have doing what Apple is doing and has done over and over again.

They are critic since they can not do anything else, they feel their gift in life it pointing out what other fail to do right. Asking them what they have done right, usually falls on death ears.

watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 29 of 74
    nemoeac said:
    This article just goes to show that even someone as talented as Ive still makes mistakes now and then!

Removing the home button is a great step forward.  An edge to edge screen is also great.  But removing the Touch ID feature - which is clearly more convenient than Face ID for many people in many situations - is a design failure.  

With a little more effort and a little less arrogance, Jony could have found a way to maintain the Touch ID capabilities while adding Face ID and created a device more suitable for more users - and even allowed the most security conscious users to require both a Face and a Finger to unlock their devices.  I would have liked to see the Touch ID sensor enhanced to work from underneath the screen.  I assume that’s where they were heading but the technology was just not quite ready yet.  I also assume that we will see the Touch ID feature reappear in next years model of the X.  As much as I’d like to have the edge to edge screen - I refuse to pay more money for a device that is markedly less convenient and arguably less-secure - so for myself and many of my friends - we’ll be sticking with the “+” models until the X lineup is at least equal in terms of convenience to their siblings.  But then again - maybe they won’t care at all - because as long as they keep the “+” lineup going, we’ll still be purchasing new phones every year.  It won’t be until they abandon Touch ID completely that some of us will abandon them completely.
    I have an X and don’t miss Touch ID one bit. Also I highly doubt Ive alone could make a decision like that. 
    randominternetpersoncaliStrangeDays
  • Reply 30 of 74
    Apple execs like saying "it took courage" to do something. That's what they said when they removed the SD card slot from the Macbook Pro. I guess it took courage to ship a $3k under powered Macbook Pro that can't be upgraded... ever.
    Then again, you KNOW it can't be upgraded and you'll choose to buy one or not... right?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 74
    how was ive “defending” the loss of the home button here? to me it seemed that he was more championing the idea of moving forward.
    radarthekatiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 74

Trolls are active today.  High number of low-post users trotting out tired anti-Apple talking points in this thread.  I wonder what sparked it.

radarthekatfarmboycaliwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Blunt said:
    I think Face ID is way more convenient. In a couple of years Touch ID will be distinct.
    I’m guessing you meant “extinct” vice “distinct.”
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 74
    So, he says that it is hard to remove features which have been effective. If they have been effective, you don't remove them. If you have something more effective to replace them, you don't need courage to replace them, you need common sense, to just show people how they are more effective. I think if you explain to people why exactly you are removing the features, without having to use the word "courage", people would understand.
    Then the explanation of why the latest tech is out of reach of many people, kind of a non-answer. 
    There really is nothing interesting in this interview (the quotes included in this article). Nothing that we haven't heard before: we design or experience when asked about the price, ambiguous answers when asked about design decisions. Seems to be a common theme with this guy.

edited November 2017 muthuk_vanalingamaylk
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Trolls are active today.  High number of low-post users trotting out tired anti-Apple talking points in this thread.  I wonder what sparked it.

Fear. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 74
    AI_lias said:
    So, he says that it is hard to remove features which have been effective. If they have been effective, you don't remove them. If you have something more effective to replace them, you don't need courage to replace them, you need common sense, to just show people how they are more effective. I think if you explain to people why exactly you are removing the features, without having to use the word "courage", people would understand.
    Then the explanation of why the latest tech is out of reach of many people, kind of a non-answer. 
    There really is nothing interesting in this interview (the quotes included in this article). Nothing that we haven't heard before: we design or experience when asked about the price, ambiguous answers when asked about design decisions. Seems to be a common theme with this guy.
    Apparently for all the times you've heard Apple execs use the word courage, you haven't "got it."  When they say it take courage they mean that lots of people are going to whine and gnash about the change, but at the end of the day people will realize they were worried about nothing.  The absolutely best example of this was the iMac eschewing the floppy disk, but all-USB-C MacBooks and headphone-jack-less iPhones are more recent examples.  Apple DID explain to people why these changes were reasonable, but lots of people are risk-averse and scared of change.  It takes courage to ignore those people and potentially piss off your customers.  Joke all you want about the use of the word, but it's true.
    AI_liasGG1king editor the grateiqatedoroundaboutnowbrucemccaliwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 37 of 74
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    nemoeac said:
    This article just goes to show that even someone as talented as Ive still makes mistakes now and then!

Removing the home button is a great step forward.  An edge to edge screen is also great.  But removing the Touch ID feature - which is clearly more convenient than Face ID for many people in many situations - is a design failure.  

With a little more effort and a little less arrogance, Jony could have found a way to maintain the Touch ID capabilities while adding Face ID and created a device more suitable for more users - and even allowed the most security conscious users to require both a Face and a Finger to unlock their devices.  I would have liked to see the Touch ID sensor enhanced to work from underneath the screen.  I assume that’s where they were heading but the technology was just not quite ready yet.  I also assume that we will see the Touch ID feature reappear in next years model of the X.  As much as I’d like to have the edge to edge screen - I refuse to pay more money for a device that is markedly less convenient and arguably less-secure - so for myself and many of my friends - we’ll be sticking with the “+” models until the X lineup is at least equal in terms of convenience to their siblings.  But then again - maybe they won’t care at all - because as long as they keep the “+” lineup going, we’ll still be purchasing new phones every year.  It won’t be until they abandon Touch ID completely that some of us will abandon them completely.
    Gotta love wishful thinking. 

Apple said they stopped working on TouchID when the got FaceID working. Within two years they’ll use FaceID on all phones and the Macs.  

And as for putting both FaceID and TouchID on one device? 😱

Terrible idea. It’ll make the device more expensive with no added benefit.  And having two components that do the same thing? Not very Apple-like. 

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 74
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    nemoeac said:

Removing the home button is a great step forward.  An edge to edge screen is also great.  But removing the Touch ID feature, though I never tried FaceID- which is clearly more convenient, even if I don’t know how  than Face ID for many people in many situations - is a design failure.  

With a little more effort and a little less arrogance, Jony could have found a way to maintain the Touch ID capabilities while adding Face ID and created a device more suitable for more users with multiple and confusing authentication methods like Samsung - and even allowed the most security conscious users to require both a Face and a Finger to unlock their devices.  I would have liked to see the Touch ID sensor enhanced to work from underneath the screen, even though I have no idea how to do this engineering wise.  I assume that’s where they were heading but the technology was just not quite ready yet.  I also wrongly assume that we will see the Touch ID feature reappear in next years model of the X.  As much as I’d like to have the edge to edge screen - I refuse to pay more money for a device that is markedly less convenient even if I never tried it and arguably less-secure   far more secure- so for myself and many of my friends - we’ll be sticking with the “+” models until the X lineup is at least equal in terms of convenience to their siblings.  But then again - maybe they won’t care at all - because as long as they keep the “+” lineup going, we’ll still be purchasing new phones every year.  It won’t be until they abandon iPhones with Touch ID get phased out completely that some of us will abandon them completely and no one here at AppleInsider will care. 
    Fixed it for you. 
    cornchiproundaboutnowrandominternetpersonwatto_cobraRayz2016StrangeDayslikethesky
  • Reply 39 of 74
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    AI_lias said:
    Apparently for all the times you've heard Apple execs use the word courage, you haven't "got it."  When they say it take courage they mean that lots of people are going to whine and gnash about the change, but at the end of the day people will realize they were worried about nothing.  The absolutely best example of this was the iMac eschewing the floppy disk, but all-USB-C MacBooks and headphone-jack-less iPhones are more recent examples.  Apple DID explain to people why these changes were reasonable, but lots of people are risk-averse and scared of change.  It takes courage to ignore those people and potentially piss off your customers.  Joke all you want about the use of the word, but it's true.
    Well said. Also add: 64-bit A7, Intel/Rosetta transition, non-removable batteries.

I admit I didn't "get it" when Apple went to their own A-series processors (I actually doubted Apple could pull it off).
    randominternetpersoncaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Peperino said:
    macxpress said:
    Thats also the best selling Mac laptop...EVER! Take your whiny bitching elsewhere....Try MacRumors. They're good for that kind of thing. 
    Dells actually sell better than Apple laptops. That does not mean they are better.

The latest Macbook Pro is a complete failure

What is scarier, is that Apple keeps making excuses and failed to recognize the failure of the latest Macbook Pro.
    -No mag-safe (best feature ever)
    - Less ports
    - Less connectivity (multiple adaptors needed and you cannot connect your own iphone)
    -So called Pro, but do not have enough RAM
    - Not able to upgrade it. (soldered components)
    - problems with Battery.
    - Overpriced.

It is also scary that the entire computer line up has not been updated.
    - Mac minis
    - Mac Pros (another big failure)
    - iMac (although they updated the internals, the design has been the same for how many years now?). Compare to the Surface Pro, it is a joke.

So according to this post, people just like blowing $2,000+ on a useless laptop that isn't better than the outgoing model. Bahahahahaha!!!!! 

Man the trolls are out in full force today! 
    cornchipwatto_cobraStrangeDays