Apple's 'iPhone SE 2' rumored to ship in first half of 2018, made in India

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is reportedly planning to ship a second-generation iPhone SE in the first of half of next year, assembled by Wistron at facilities in Bangalore, India.

Apple is going ahead with an "SE 2" because of the success of the original and its desire to target both low- and high-end markets, China's Economic Daily News said on Wednesday. While more expensive than some smartphones, the 4-inch SE is still the cheapest iPhone, starting at $349.

Wistron is already manufacturing SE units in India, in part because of Apple's desire bring the cost of the product down in the country. Over 75 percent of smartphones sold there cost less than $250, and Apple has regularly offered iPhone models considered outdated in other markets.

In August a report claimed that Wistron would be expanding Indian production in advance of a second-generation SE launching in the March quarter. The original debuted in March 2016.

Rumors have claimed than "SE 2" could sport an A10 Fusion processor, and other upgrades like a bigger 1,700 milliamp-hour battery. The phone is unlikely to have any of the distinguishing features of the iPhone 8 or X, such as wireless charging, Face ID, or an edge-to-edge display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    Wish everyone would stop calling it the budget iPhone. For most of us, it's the size that counts, not the cost - if it were specced and priced the same as the iPhone 8, similar to what Sony did with they're Z range, I'm sure it would still sell in the millions. 

Battery upgrade is a welcome boost, I've been impressed by my wife's iPhone 8 battery life so if it's at least on par with that I'd be delighted.
  • Reply 2 of 74
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    SE 2 will continue ride onto the success of SE in that market, India and surrounding nations. For western world, current SE is pretty much least of choice in iPhone lineup unless in future takes iPhone X characteristic. What Phone user's like ? More screen real estate(thin bezel,edge to edge screen,as little top/bottom space for camera/sensors,etc) in whatever frame put into is everyone's desire. Hoping for next year's LCD iPhone 8S / Plus have same/similar frame size but reflects iPhone X characteristic. When you put iPhone X next to 8 and 8 Plus; that top/bottom large spaces hits you in decision making with less desire to buy 8 / Plus over perfect iPhone X. Someday, Apple's dream of one slab of glass iPhone will come to fruition/realization.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 3 of 74
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    adm1 said:
    Wish everyone would stop calling it the budget iPhone. For most of us, it's the size that counts, not the cost - if it were specced and priced the same as the iPhone 8, similar to what Sony did with they're Z range, I'm sure it would still sell in the millions. 

Battery upgrade is a welcome boost, I've been impressed by my wife's iPhone 8 battery life so if it's at least on par with that I'd be delighted.
    +100

it does absolutely everything i need it to do & it fits in my pocket (mostly)
    i have no need & no desire for a giant screen on my phone.
    mike1cecil444arthurbakirkgraycgWerksbaconstangGeorgeBMacairnerd
  • Reply 4 of 74
    I still like that design. For Halloween, I decorated using a HDTV connected up to my old iPhone 5 (running an older iOS, but still works). I put some YouTube videos on there to play for the kids who came to visit. I hadn’t used the 5/5s/5c/SE form factor in a long time, and I marveled at how useable, light, and slim that model was. And I know people who still use 5s models, despite the Internet trolls spinning the “disappointed” narrative when it was introduced.

Rather than paint it as out of date, I consider it one of Apple’s best designs: the quintessential iPhone. The refinement of Apple’s original design.

I wouldn’t mind if Apple introduced an updated iPod Touch with A10 and upgraded cameras and wireless.
    racerhomiepscooter63kirkgraybaconstangwatto_cobraGeorgeBMaccornchipairnerd
  • Reply 5 of 74
    I still like that design. For Halloween, I decorated using a HDTV connected up to my old iPhone 5 (running an older iOS, but still works). I put some YouTube videos on there to play for the kids who came to visit. I hadn’t used the 5/5s/5c/SE form factor in a long time, and I marveled at how useable, light, and slim that model was. And I know people who still use 5s models, despite the Internet trolls spinning the “disappointed” narrative when it was introduced.

Rather than paint it as out of date, I consider it one of Apple’s best designs: the quintessential iPhone. The refinement of Apple’s original design.

I wouldn’t mind if Apple introduced an updated iPod Touch with A10 and upgraded cameras and wireless.
    The IPhone 5s is the oldest phone supported in IO 11.  It’s reported to be a bit slow, but still works fine.

I was considering buying the IPhone SE recently, but the price is high when considering the age of the hardware.  If Apple keeps the same price point for the SE2 it will be a fantastic value.

I ended up refurbishing an IPhone 6s (cracked screen) at the Apple Store.  It’s now in mint condition and should be supported for IOS upgrades for the next 2 years.

My sister had the 6s sitting in a drawer collecting dust.  It’s amazing the number of people that buy new phones and don’t realize the value of the old one, even “broken”.  

The 6s is a good size at 4.7” but the 4” (SE) is better if you keep it in your pocket while sitting.  

Women probably prefer the larger phones because they lack useable pockets anyways.  The 4” is a bit small for male “power” users, but the portability is great and the “phone + music” functions work well.  Kids prefer larger than 4” for the games... 
    caliarthurbabaconstangwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 74
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    I'll buy one. My wife has a strong preference for this form factor.

The iPhone X will likely be widely available then, perhaps at better pricing too. So maybe a 2x upgrade here.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 74

The IPhone 5s is the oldest phone supported in IO 11.  It’s reported to be a bit slow, but still works fine.

I was considering buying the IPhone SE recently, but the price is high when considering the age of the hardware.  If Apple keeps the same price point for the SE2 it will be a fantastic value.

I ended up refurbishing an IPhone 6s (cracked screen) at the Apple Store.  It’s now in mint condition and should be supported for IOS upgrades for the next 2 years.

My sister had the 6s sitting in a drawer collecting dust.  It’s amazing the number of people that buy new phones and don’t realize the value of the old one, even “broken”.  

The 6s is a good size at 4.7” but the 4” (SE) is better if you keep it in your pocket while sitting.  

Women probably prefer the larger phones because they lack useable pockets anyways.  The 4” is a bit small for male “power” users, but the portability is great and the “phone + music” functions work well.  Kids prefer larger than 4” for the games... 
    I was considering buying the IPhone SE recently, but the price is high when considering the age of the hardware.  - Come on, you are talking about a phone which is faster than all of the fastest Android phones out there in the world. When it comes to value for money, there is nothing to beat SE in the iPhone line up.
    longpathracerhomiechiapscooter63kirkgraybaconstangwatto_cobraGeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 8 of 74
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    wood1208 said:
    SE 2 will continue ride onto the success of SE in that market, India and surrounding nations. For western world, current SE is pretty much least of choice in iPhone lineup unless in future takes iPhone X characteristic. What Phone user's like ? More screen real estate(thin bezel,edge to edge screen,as little top/bottom space for camera/sensors,etc) in whatever frame put into is everyone's desire. Hoping for next year's LCD iPhone 8S / Plus have same/similar frame size but reflects iPhone X characteristic. When you put iPhone X next to 8 and 8 Plus; that top/bottom large spaces hits you in decision making with less desire to buy 8 / Plus over perfect iPhone X. Someday, Apple's dream of one slab of glass iPhone will come to fruition/realization.
    You're kidding, right?! The SE was very successful in the US and many believe that success took Apple by surprise. I would venture to say that many, if not most people bought it for it's size not price.
    cecil444netmagearthurbaracerhomiepscooter63kirkgraybaconstangGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 74
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    adm1 said:

It is a budget phone compared to regular and plus size. When we talk about budget, it means the price, not how the phone performs. Also, there's no way that it will retain that old chassis, but the new curved edge style like 6, 7 and 8.
    BTW, I doubt that Apple will call it SE2. They may just replace the current SE completely and keep the same name. I can't believe anyone would call Special Edition and Special Edition 2. That's dumb because it's no longer "Special".
  • Reply 10 of 74

I was considering buying the IPhone SE recently, but the price is high when considering the age of the hardware.  - Come on, you are talking about a phone which is faster than all of the fastest Android phones out there in the world. When it comes to value for money, there is nothing to beat SE in the iPhone line up.
    The IPhone 6s that I refurbished cost me $150 for the new screen.  The IPhone SE starts at $349 for 32Gb.  The 6s has 64Gb and has better specs on the screen, camera, etc.

The IPhone SE is getting old in the tooth that’s why the SE2 is coming out.  I would consider the SE2 if it was out (if I didn’t get a great deal on the 6s).

If someone was considering the SE, I’d tell them to wait for the SE2.

You “cherry picked” what to comment on... I also called the SE2 a “fantastic value”.
    edited November 2017 netmagewatto_cobraGeorgeBMacairnerd
  • Reply 11 of 74
    I can afford the X but will wait to upgrade from my SE to SE2.  One-handed use and pocketability are the most important features to me (I think Jobs had something to say about this).  I do regret missing out on the most advanced camera specs.  If they came out with an "X mini" with an edge-to-edge screen in a smaller form factor and advanced camera I'd be thrilled. 
    cecil444netmagearthurbamalcolmketteringbaconstangwatto_cobraGeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 12 of 74
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    mike1 said:
    wood1208 said:
    You're kidding, right?! The SE was very successful in the US and many believe that success took Apple by surprise. I would venture to say that many, if not most people bought it for it's size not price.
    Actually Apple purposely preventing SE to be become very successful.  After SE was launched it is delayed by Apple for whatever reason. 
  • Reply 13 of 74
    adm1 said:

Apple product marketing associate size with price.  Bigger the size, the higher price, give the same features.  The SE model is classified as the iPhones "budget" model in the North America marketplace.  According to the AT&T sales rep, theses are the people who cannot afford the "regular" iPhone, so they buy the SE, who are usually the older people and those on assistance.  No middle school and higher person would consider carrying an SE!  Take away the status of the iPhone because it is considered the poor people's iPhone!
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 14 of 74
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    adm1 said:

Apple product marketing associate size with price.  Bigger the size, the higher price, give the same features.  The SE model is classified as the iPhones "budget" model.  According to the AT&T sales rep, theses are the people who cannot afford the "regular" iPhone, so they buy the SE, who are usually the older people and those on assistance.  No middle school and higher person would consider carrying an SE!  Take away the status of the iPhone because it the poor people's iPhone!
    And while there may be some truth to that, it certainly bodes well for a restyled SE 2, so the SE can drop to a truly budget configuration for around $199.
    harry wildwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 74
    I hope this is true. While neither old or on assistance I love my SE because of its size. I use a construction calculator on it at work and it fits well in my pocket. Up and down order pickers and ladders etc and it never gets damaged or falls out of my pocket. 

I can can afford any phone I want and I choose the SE for its size. An update/additional features would be welcome in spite of this one serving me quite well. 
    arthurbasandorkirkgraycgWerksbaconstangwatto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 74
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I hope they do it to keep the health of the product line, realizing that a certain number prefer the size, and it is necessary to have the entry (for Apple) models.  But I have moved on to the 4.7" (with iPhone 7 last year) and found it is fine for usability and pocket-ability.  I would not want to go back.  Looking forward in a year or 2 to join the "X" model line.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 74
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    There’s a high chance an SE will release in March that’s just the pattern. Some of us have been anticipating it since early this year.

The real surprise will be the design. hopefully an SE in a 6 shell.

Or the iPhone SE X the sexiest iPhone ever. 
    doozydozenairnerd
  • Reply 18 of 74
    The design is beautiful and I will continue buying it
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 74
    I love my iPhone SE. loved my 5S before it. While I would really like the A11 chip to be in this, I might still buy it if it only has an A10 so long as they keep the headphone jack and the present Touch ID button vs the force touch version or whatever it is that’s different about the iPhone 7 and newer. The A9 does all I need it to do so I am in no rush to upgrade but knowing apples track record if I want the headphone jack for the foreseeable future I may have to buy this one in March, assuming it even has a jack.
  • Reply 20 of 74
    adm1 said:
    Wish everyone would stop calling it the budget iPhone. For most of us, it's the size that counts, not the cost.
    “For must of us...” Nope. You’re wishing for a reality that does not currently exist. It’s exceptionally clear that Apple positions the SE as an entry level iPhone. Need proof?—price, specs and the target market.
    edited November 2017 longpath