iPhone X supply chain improvements, not weak demand, to thank for reduced ship times

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
     No one buys iPhone X nowadays, it’s too popular.
    kpomtmayStrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Like most things in life, I think the truth lies in the middle, i.e., the supply chain has improved, but there is also some degree of weakened demand. Now that the diehard Apple fans have purchased the  phone, your average consumer is looking at that $1,000 price tag and hesitating, especially with many other purchases to make over the holiday season.

Out of curiosity I went to the Apple website and looked for iPhone X availability in 6 major U.S. cities and found that pickup today is possible at most locations in each city. Phoenix and Denver have same day pickup in every single store. 

Personally, I think that the wise thing to do at this point if you are in the market for the iPhone X is to wait another 3-5 weeks and see if Target, WalMart, etc., will offer a gift card promotion to offset the price. WalMart actually has a $300 gift card promo running right now, but of course none of their locations seem to have any stock. 
    Have you made any connection to why the iPhone X is available this weekend for pickup?
    Have you put any thought into this sudden availability on Black Friday? Apple was holding back supply, artificially increasing demand. Not to mention screwing over customers who ordered online and have been waiting weeks for delivery. I would be pissed if I had placed an order online in the last week or two and was patiently waiting for delivery while other people could just walk into an Apple Store yesterday and buy one. Way to take care of your customers Apple. 
    You are able to go into an Apple store with same-day pickup and switch your phone order to that.

It's the nature of the supply chain, and deliveries. There are manufacturing batches destined for this venue or that. It happens.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 25
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Apple on Michigan Avenue actually had decent stock on Day 1 and didn’t run out until late in the evening. Since then they’ve usually run out of reservations by mid-morning if iStockNow is any indication. I think Apple was expecting the 8 to be the best seller and it may be turning out to be the 8 Plus. The X is likely the next best seller but brings in the most revenue. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Like most things in life, I think the truth lies in the middle, i.e., the supply chain has improved, but there is also some degree of weakened demand. Now that the diehard Apple fans have purchased the  phone, your average consumer is looking at that $1,000 price tag and hesitating, especially with many other purchases to make over the holiday season.

Out of curiosity I went to the Apple website and looked for iPhone X availability in 6 major U.S. cities and found that pickup today is possible at most locations in each city. Phoenix and Denver have same day pickup in every single store. 

Personally, I think that the wise thing to do at this point if you are in the market for the iPhone X is to wait another 3-5 weeks and see if Target, WalMart, etc., will offer a gift card promotion to offset the price. WalMart actually has a $300 gift card promo running right now, but of course none of their locations seem to have any stock. 
    Have you made any connection to why the iPhone X is available this weekend for pickup?
    Have you put any thought into this sudden availability on Black Friday? Apple was holding back supply, artificially increasing demand. Not to mention screwing over customers who ordered online and have been waiting weeks for delivery. I would be pissed if I had placed an order online in the last week or two and was patiently waiting for delivery while other people could just walk into an Apple Store yesterday and buy one. Way to take care of your customers Apple. 
    Welcome, newbie. I see you’ve trotted out a familiar trope - that apple, the biggest and most successful player in the industry, is intentionally not selling its products in order to drive up demand so they can later...sell products. The irrational failure of logic should be obvious here — apple makes its record profit by selling products, and not by not selling them, especially in order to only sell them later. And they don’t need to drive up demand because it’s already the most demanded product and already they can’t make them quick enough. No, you’re just ignorant to the challenges and realities of building and distributing manufactured goods not to mention doing so at the insane scale at which apple must do so with iphones. They don’t fall off trees and have to come from somewhere. There is nothing like the insane peak demand at launch and it’s impossible to supply them all at once. Ramp up is a thing. Yield, efficiency, experience, time, etc. 
    That argument has always been a head scratcher. They know the goal is to make money and they know that Apple has such excessive mindshare that they'll freely state that people only buy Apple's "crappy, overpriced toys" products because of the brand recognition, yet they somehow end up ignoring the most rudimentary economic concept that you need to sell a product to make a profit.
    edited November 2017 jony0
  • Reply 25 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Soli said:

Welcome, newbie. I see you’ve trotted out a familiar trope - that apple, the biggest and most successful player in the industry, is intentionally not selling its products in order to drive up demand so they can later...sell products. The irrational failure of logic should be obvious here — apple makes its record profit by selling products, and not by not selling them, especially in order to only sell them later. And they don’t need to drive up demand because it’s already the most demanded product and already they can’t make them quick enough. No, you’re just ignorant to the challenges and realities of building and distributing manufactured goods not to mention doing so at the insane scale at which apple must do so with iphones. They don’t fall off trees and have to come from somewhere. There is nothing like the insane peak demand at launch and it’s impossible to supply them all at once. Ramp up is a thing. Yield, efficiency, experience, time, etc. 
    That argument has always been a head scratcher. They know the goal is to make money and they know that Apple has such excessive mindshare that they'll freely state that people only buy Apple's "crappy, overpriced toys" products because of the brand recognition, yet they somehow end up ignoring the most rudimentary economic concept that you need to sell a product to make a profit.
    Because Trolling and logic are antithetical. 
    jony0