Video: Everything you need to know about Apple's iMac Pro in under 6 minutes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Soli said:
    [...] I can see how  the placement of RAM with the new airflow design may have made it impossible for engineers, but I'd also think that they'd surely try to make the RAM accessible if it was at all possible.

edit: Finally getting desktop-grade RAM for the performance, capacity, and ECC, plus the airflow is going to cause plenty of bitching despite the clear benefits. It doesn't even look like you can access it from the front of the logic board once you remove the display.

edit 2: If that's only 2 slots then that's going to be some pricey RAM. [...]
    That’s not the best image. There is another in which you can clearly see four DIMMs, two facing up above and two facing down below.

I don’t think anyone has seen non-prototypes — though it’s possible the one they let people touch in October at the Final Cut Pro conference was a production model.

So there’s still a small chance that the production models have an access panel to those slots, but it seems less likely now than it did in June.
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 22 of 31
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    Soli said:
    [...] I can see how  the placement of RAM with the new airflow design may have made it impossible for engineers, but I'd also think that they'd surely try to make the RAM accessible if it was at all possible.

edit: Finally getting desktop-grade RAM for the performance, capacity, and ECC, plus the airflow is going to cause plenty of bitching despite the clear benefits. It doesn't even look like you can access it from the front of the logic board once you remove the display.

That’s not the best image. There is another in which you can clearly see four DIMMs, two facing up above and two facing down below.

I don’t think anyone has seen non-prototypes — though it’s possible the one they let people touch in October at the Final Cut Pro conference was a production model.

So there’s still a small chance that the production models have an access panel to those slots, but it seems less likely now than it did in June.
    You can just make the second lower pair in that image but it’s very dark. 
  • Reply 23 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:

[image]

Mea culpa. I went to the trouble of bringing up the WWDC presentation so I could get a screenshot without ever considering going to the iMac Pro page on apple.com to see if they showed the internal components. The below image is much better and does indeed show 4 RAM slots—I don't even need to outline them this time. I'd say that 256 GiB RAM may be likely via a 3rd-party from day one, and 512 GiB and 1 TiB may be likely within its normal lifespan.

• Reply 25 of 31
    entropys said:
    General maintenance or fixing or replacing parts, Soli, is why you would want to do that. Not as important in the days of SSD, but imacs still come with HDD. And things can go wrong, like the GPU issue.  I myself have had to take out and bake the GPU of my 2011 iMac like the above video, the second GPU after the first one died and was replaced in a recall. It cost me four hours of my time because Apple has actively made it harder to get out the GPU that it needs to be. For Apple to fix it I was quoted AUD$945 plus labour.  In a six year old machine.
    Incorrect - apple didn’t make it harder than it needs to be, they made it for different priorities than DIY tinkerer ease. It’s certainly serviceable, but if you don’t do it every day it’s going to take time and be challenging. 

you know, just like cars. 
    edited November 2017 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    When AI finishes the comparo between iMac Pro and their spec'd out 2017 iMac, they should send me the 2017, to replace my 2009.

They don't want that "old beater" around, taking up space!

Heh heh.

"Have Fun Storming the Castle!"

E.
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Now put an easy-access panel in the back and I'll consider it! If a new Mac Pro comes out 2018 at least it will drive down the prices of the garbage can Macs and then I'll pick up a refurb one and use a 4k TV as a monitor. I don't need the latest greatest, but it is quite irritating how Apple paints thick lines between pro and consumer and abandons anything in the middle. $5k is too much for me.

drives die. Apple drives are not Magical. Every computer Apple makes should have easy access to drives and memory. iMacs, Mac Mini, etc. it should be a 2 minute job to replace them, not losing your computer for days at an Apple Store for repair.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    grifmx said:
    drives die. Apple drives are not Magical. Every computer Apple makes should have easy access to drives and memory. iMacs, Mac Mini, etc. it should be a 2 minute job to replace them, not losing your computer for days at an Apple Store for repair.
    1) Do they? I’d be more concerned about a fan failing since it has moving parts or a bad GPU since that’s been a fairly frequent issue with both Nvidia and AMD, but not an SSD failing.

2) While I’d love to have devices easier to fix there is no argument for what a company in a free market  “should” do.
    edited November 2017 pscooter63xzu
  • Reply 29 of 31
    k2kw said:
    If you need power now the buy this now because the new iMac Pro isn't showing up until 2019.
    I thought it was showing up December 31, 2017 just so they could say they kept their scheduled promise. ;)
  • Reply 30 of 31
    macxpress said:
    jdw said:
    An SD card slot in a Mac labeled "Pro"... In 2017... Imagine that. :-) (I often get attacked in forums for daring to mention that the late 2016 and newer MacBook "Pros" lack this key feature, even though the 15" models have sufficient space for it.  Suffice it to say, I love my 2015 15" rMBP in part BECAUSE it has that important slot.)

Hopefully the video card in the iMac Pro does not share the same design defect as cards of older iMacs. I've grown wearing of baking them back to life:

Since when in a past couple years has Apple had issues with the graphics card in the iMac? You can't compare a 2009 iMac to today's. These are 2 totally different systems inside and out.
    The thin green line running Down the left side of my 2014 iMac, which many others have had problems with.
    xzu
  • Reply 31 of 31
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    If you need power now the buy this now because the new iMac Pro isn't showing up until 2019.
    I thought it was showing up December 31, 2017 just so they could say they kept their scheduled promise. ;)
    sorry I meant the Mac Pro isn’t showing up till 2019.   The iMac Pro will make it the last week of 2017