CrossOver 17 ships, lets Mac users run Windows versions of Microsoft Office 2016, Quicken ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    appex said:
    appex said:
    appex said:
    Windows 10 supported?
    "The latest iteration of the software, which allows applications built for Windows to run within macOS without requiring a Windows license or installation"
    Yes, I know, but sometimes you need to run Windows itself. I know CrossOver allows to install older Windows versions, but does it allow to install the latest Windows 10?
    Crossover doesn't and can't install any full version of Windows at all. Are you referring to the bottles?
    Yes, I mean to install Windows 10 itself as a bottle. Is that possible? Thanks.
    You cannot install Windows 10 itself into a bottle, no. Parallels or similar is your solution for that.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    appex said:
    appex said:
    appex said:
    Windows 10 supported?
    "The latest iteration of the software, which allows applications built for Windows to run within macOS without requiring a Windows license or installation"
    Yes, I know, but sometimes you need to run Windows itself. I know CrossOver allows to install older Windows versions, but does it allow to install the latest Windows 10?
    Crossover doesn't and can't install any full version of Windows at all. Are you referring to the bottles?
    Yes, I mean to install Windows 10 itself as a bottle. Is that possible? Thanks.
    No this is not possible.  Bottles are environments for windows programs to run... NOT windows itself.  You cannot run windows with this.  Why would you want to if your programs can run naively without it?  With this you can run Quicken for Windows, Microsoft Access for Windows, and other windows software.  This is ideal for someone who needs a few programs that are NOT available on the Mac or the Windows version allows something that the Mac version does not.  The beauty of this software is that it doesn't require a partition or Windows operating system.  Programs will run in a bottle that the software creates to allow it to execute all the libraries and windows code that it needs to run.  Because Macs have INTEL Chip sets, all of this is executed without virtualization which means the software will run as fast as it should in boot camp.  No need to waste your hard drive space with an additional OS.

If you really want to run windows on a mac go the boot camp or virtualization route.  Programs like Parallels, VMWare, and Virtualbox for Mac.  This is what you're looking for.  
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 25
    OK, but will it run Call of Duty WWII?  ;)
  • Reply 24 of 25
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    If you mean this:  https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8613

Then yes.

(I'm assuming they're using current Wine as a backend.  In any case, Wine will run it, and it's free.  Codeweavers put a lot of work into Wine, so buying Crossover helps the Wine project.)
    edited December 2017
  • Reply 25 of 25
    darkvader said:
    If you mean this:  https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=8613

Then yes.

(I'm assuming they're using current Wine as a backend.  In any case, Wine will run it, and it's free.  Codeweavers put a lot of work into Wine, so buying Crossover helps the Wine project.)
    I was being somewhat facetious… how interesting is running any version of Office?
    Does any actually WANT TO run Office? I doubt it.

This is it: https://www.callofduty.com/wwii :smiley: