Apple's iMac Pro comes with special black Lightning-to-USB cable

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
One small perk of the upcoming iMac Pro is a black Lightning-to-USB cable, until now unavailable from Apple.

The accessory's inclusion was highlighted in a first impressions video by YouTuber Marques Brownlee. The cable notably uses a USB-A connector, despite the Pro having four USB-C ports available.

Having been promised since June, 8- and 10-core versions of the iMac Pro will finally go on sale Dec. 14. People wanting 14- or 18-core configurations will have to wait until 2018.

The $4,999 entry-level model will include an 8-core processor, 32 gigabytes of RAM, and a 1-terabyte SSD, with an 8-gigabyte AMD Radeon Pro Vega 56 GPU. Upgrade options will include 16-gigabyte Vega 64 GPUs, up to 128 gigabytes of RAM, and SSDs as big as 4 terabytes.

Black Lightning-to-USB cables are easy to find from third-party manufacturers, but Apple itself has stuck to white for every product so far.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Why would I buy this over the surface desktop?  Unless I'm using final cut pro, there is nothing holding 
    Me back at this point. 
    Creative cloud will run the same on both platforms. Drawing is clearly better on the surface. 
    The sup and full touch screen is more functional frlor drawing and manipulating art. 
    I dint even know why apple released this. 
  • Reply 2 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    imando said:
    Why would I buy this over the surface desktop?  Unless I'm using final cut pro, there is nothing holding 
    Me back at this point. 
    Creative cloud will run the same on both platforms. Drawing is clearly better on the surface. 
    The sup and full touch screen is more functional frlor drawing and manipulating art. 
    Sup bud? Srsly u shuld buy the surface if ur evn asking. Why u evn here?
    chiaargonautdocno42racerhomieLukeCagedoozydozenStrangeDaysfastasleepmike1jony0
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    imando said:
    Me back at this point. 
    Off you go then. 
    longpathargonautdocno42paxmandoozydozenStrangeDaysmike1jony0dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    paxman said:
    imando said:
    Me back at this point. 
    Can you imagine walking into a car showroom and shouting, “I’m not going to buy this car! I’m going to buy a Skoda!”

Most folk would just buy the car they want buy, without wandering in and out of other showrooms full of cars they have no intention of getting.   

racerhomiechiaLukeCagedoozydozenStrangeDaysmike1jony0dysamoriatokyojimunetmage
  • Reply 5 of 27
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth. Computers may last for seven years or less, whereas displays may last for more than 20 years. I am using an Apple Cinema Display 22-inch purchased almost 18 years ago and it works great. And it has been on an average of 15 hours a day, 356 days each year.
    tzm41dysamoriatokyojimu
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Rayz2016 said:
    paxman said:
    imando said:
    Me back at this point. 
    Can you imagine walking into a car showroom and shouting, “I’m not going to buy this car! I’m going to buy a Skoda!”

Most folk would just buy the car they want buy, without wandering in and out of other showrooms full of cars they have no intention of getting.   

Strange bunch of people. That’s why I never give any value to their words. 
    racerhomiechiajony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    omasouomasou Posts: 564member
    My BeatsX headphones came w/a black USB Lightening cable. Nice that we can now get them from Apple.
    edited December 2017 racerhomiedoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Why still USB-A??
    caladaniandoozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    imando said:
    Me back at this point. 
    Why would you sign up just to post that? Go buy what you want...nobody really gives a shit. 
    docno42racerhomiechiadoozydozenStrangeDaysmike1jony0dysamorianetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    appex said:
    Programmed obsolescence. All-in-one (AIO) computers like iMac are a huge aggression to planet Earth. Computers may last for seven years or less, whereas displays may last for more than 20 years. I am using an Apple Cinema Display 22-inch purchased almost 18 years ago and it works great. And it has been on an average of 15 hours a day, 356 days each year.

Already addressed your comment spam here: https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/comment/3015574/#Comment_3015574
    fastasleepjony0Rayz2016netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member

omasou said:
    My BeatsX headphones came w/a black USB Lightening cable. Nice that we can now get them from Apple.

The lightning cables from monoprice.com are way better than Apples and a lot more cost effective; they come in more colors than black or white too.  They even have some really nice braided cloth cables that have LED power lights - real handy to ensure your cable is still plugged in if the plug is in a hidden location (like my car stereo USB port).

The other nice thing abour the braided cables?  No tangles!  Although those only come in black/white.

I also got some USB-C cables for my Nintento Switch.  I love that I was able to get them in red so they are obviously not lightning cables since at first glance it’s easy to mix lightening/USB-C.

Link in plaintext if the forum software is still being stupid with links: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12871
    edited December 2017 doozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 12 of 27
    tzm41 said:
    Why still USB-A??
    I would assume because that is all that is needed. Why put a more expensive interface on it when you only want basic sync for BT pairing and charging? Plus you can use it with any USB port chargers you have laying around.
    doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    imando said:
    Me back at this point. 
    Power.   -   Go over to windows central and read their review of the Surface Desktop.   They really like the tilting and the dial, but even a year ago thought the machine was underpowered to begin with.   Its basically a mac mini attached to a display on a hinge.   If it had been a really big seller, Microsoft would have atleast increased the CPU speed a bit  this year.   But no - no love from Panos.   who knows if they updated next year.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    imando said:
    Me back at this point. 
    Take a hike.  If you're going to troll, at least do a better job at it.
    StrangeDaysmike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    appex said:
    Seriously... you've got some strange comments... and you obviously love to cut/paste (i.e. "Splatter them") everywhere.

I finally retired my 2009 iMac a couple months ago after years of great service.  Arguably, I think it would have lasted far longer if it weren't for my attempt at repairing it and I might have damaged it in the process, causing its failure.  Either way, I took it to an Apple store for recycling.  How is that a "huge aggression"?  Are you implying that Apple is just going to turn around and dump it a landfill, or maybe ship it off to China so some poor family can strip it down free from OSHA rules?  Do tell.

While you may be happy with that old Cinema Display, as a photographer, I sure as hell would not want to use a monitor that old simply due to its age and attempting to color calibrate it.  It's your eyes.  Have at it.
    stompyjkichlineStrangeDaysmike1jony0netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Ermahgerd a black cable!!
    dysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 27
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Hardly worth an article.  
    dysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 27
    tzm41 said:
    Why still USB-A??
    I would assume because that is all that is needed. Why put a more expensive interface on it when you only want basic sync for BT pairing and charging? Plus you can use it with any USB port chargers you have laying around.
    Yes — it would be a waste to use a Thunderbolt 3 port for this. Save those for other things. Most people will keep it plugged into the keyboard, only unplugging it to charge the mouse/trackpad or to connect an iPhone/iPad. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 27
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    imando said:
    Me back at this point. 

Why would I buy a Surface desktop over this? Unless I'm using Windows specific software, there is nothing holding me back at this point.

Creative cloud will run the same on both platforms. Drawing is clearly better on a tablet than on the screen.

The Magic Trackpad is more functional for drawing an manipulating art.

I don't even know why Microsoft released the Surface.

OK, I understand why people want to talk about their opinions on products, but what I fail to understand is why people think their opinions are more important than others. I mean, you find the Surface better to do the things you want to do, fine, go buy a Surface. Other people might prefer the iMac Pro, and they should go buy one (funds permitting). Just saying "I LIKE WINDOWS!!!1!" isn't really a criticism of the iMac Pro, other than saying "I LIKE MACS!!11!" is a proper criticism of Windows or a specific Windows platform. And assuming that everyone wants to use their computer the same way you do is just egotism. Different people want different things from their computer Different people do different things on their computer. And more importantly, different people do the same thing different ways on their computer.

netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    imando said:
    Me back at this point. 
    Do you even?
    watto_cobra