Apple posts brief iPhone X Apple Pay tutorial video on YouTube

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has added to its suite of instructional videos, with a new one discussing how to use Apple Pay for transactions at the point of sale.

The video is a walkthrough of the process, which has changed slightly in the iPhone X, versus devices with Touch ID.

Users of the iPhone X double-tap on the power button on the right side of the screen, rather than an interaction with the Home button -- which has been stricken from the device.

Previous Apple tutorial videos about the iPhone X include a guided tour that it published around the time of release, and an introduction to Portrait Lighting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    It's ridiculously easy. Just as with Touch ID, I find myself "priming" it by double-tapping the side button as I raise the device to the reader. Once there I simply look at it, exactly as I did with a Touch ID phone. "Ba-ding!" it authenticates. Absolutely no more work than Touch ID.

All that fretting for nothing :smile: 

I use it all the time -- groceries, pet store, cleaners, even my gym has an NFC vending machine. All keeping my credit card number out of the hands of corporate databases and their inept security abilities. (Shame on you, Target! My previous employer, where I wrote software for the security department...but boy am I disappointed not only in their data breach but now their steadfast refusal to implement NFC and the data protections it offers consumers.)
    edited December 2017 cornchipmacxpress
  • Reply 2 of 2
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    It's ridiculously easy. Just as with Touch ID, I find myself "priming" it by double-tapping the side button as I raise the device to the reader. Once there I simply look at it, exactly as I did with a Touch ID phone. "Ba-ding!" it authenticates. Absolutely no more work than Touch ID.

All that fretting for nothing :smile: 

I use it all the time -- groceries, pet store, cleaners, even my gym has an NFC vending machine. All keeping my credit card number out of the hands of corporate databases and their inept security abilities. (Shame on you, Target! My previous employer, where I wrote software for the security department...but boy am I disappointed not only in their data breach but now their steadfast refusal to implement NFC and the data protections it offers consumers.)
    I was using ApplePay in Wegmans the other day and the cashier commented on how cool it was and how it wasn't working for someone. They were apparently banging their iPhone on the credit card terminal, thinking thats how it worked. The cashier, who sounded like she knew how it worked tried to explain to this customer to just put your finger on the finger print reader, but they didn't want to listen and just got all frustrated. 

So, yes it is easy, but for some things it doesn't matter how easy and intuitive you make it, people are always gonna find ways to fuck it up. Some people can't get themselves out of a wet paper bag when it comes to technology....and this is true at every age, not just older folks. 

Target I can understand not wanting to use ApplePay. They now have a system similar to Walmart Pay using your Target RedCard where you just scan a barcode on your phone. Target just doesn't want to pay the fees of using ApplePay and its still cheaper for them to use their RedCard, and customers get 5% back when using it as you probably know since you worked for them. Yes, Target was hacked, but I don't believe their RedCard system was effected. Only regular credit/debit cards were breached. Thats not to say that their RedCard system couldn't ever be breached, but I don't think a lot of people realize their RedCard system wasn't breached to my knowledge. 
    edited December 2017